    Exactly what was going on here and how do I access newsgroups remotely using
    outlook express?

    Thank you.

    its_my_dime, Aug 7, 2006

  2. its_my_dime

    Leythos Guest

    In article <83IBg.2164$-nyc.rr.com>,
    says...
    > This weekend, I tried to access newsgroups using my laptop and a hotel
    > network (Road Runner customer; Outlook Express; XP home w/ SP 2) with the
    > same settings that work on my home network.
    >
    > I received a message saying that Road Runner was denying me access because I
    > wasn't using their network or something to that effect.
    >
    > Exactly what was going on here and how do I access newsgroups remotely using
    > outlook express?

    ISP's don't allow external networks to use their Internal services.

    You can not use a Road Runner news server unless you are on a Road
    Runner network. Your only option is to VPN into your home
    computer/network and then access the RR News Server through the VPN.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Aug 7, 2006

  3. its_my_dime

    Mike Easter Guest

    its_my_dime wrote:

    > Exactly what was going on here and how do I access newsgroups
    > remotely using outlook express?

    When you are on the road and off RR's network, you should use some
    non-RR newsserver. You won't be able to access the RR-only groups, but
    you can access usenet at large. EL does it the same way.

    When you are off RR's network, you are in the same boat as the people
    whose providers have given up providing 'free' [or value added] news
    service to them.

    There are lots of free, nearly free, or 'very economical' newsservers
    with non-expiring blocks so you don't have to pay a monthly fee for
    access to news.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 7, 2006
  4. its_my_dime

    Mr BillyB Guest

    "its_my_dime" <(hold the .spam)> wrote in message
    > This weekend, I tried to access newsgroups using my laptop and a hotel
    > network (Road Runner customer; Outlook Express; XP home w/ SP 2) with the
    > same settings that work on my home network.
    >
    > I received a message saying that Road Runner was denying me access because
    > I wasn't using their network or something to that effect.
    >
    > Exactly what was going on here and how do I access newsgroups remotely
    > using outlook express?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Try this, Open OE, Goto: Tools/Accounts/News
    Listed will be your ISP's news, under the "connection" heading it
    will state to connect via your ISP.
    Hi-Light that entry and then click "Properties"
    The "News account properties" opens, click the "Connection" tab
    In the following dialog remove the tick from:
    "Always connect to this account using" (Which will detail your ISP)
    With the tick removed the option will now be greyed out.
    Click Apply/OK
    You will now find under the "Connection" entry it states:
    "Any Available"
    It should now work via RR.

    Mr BillyB, Aug 7, 2006
  5. its_my_dime

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr BillyB wrote:
    > "its_my_dime"

    >> This weekend, I tried to access newsgroups using my laptop and a
    >> hotel network (Road Runner customer; Outlook Express; XP home w/ SP
    >> 2) with the same settings that work on my home network.

    IMD is a nyc RR customer. Hir newsserver is news-server.nyc.rr.com

    >> I received a message saying that Road Runner was denying me access
    >> because I wasn't using their network or something to that effect.

    Yep.

    > The "News account properties" opens, click the "Connection" tab
    > In the following dialog remove the tick from:
    > "Always connect to this account using" (Which will detail your ISP)
    > With the tick removed the option will now be greyed out.
    > Click Apply/OK
    > You will now find under the "Connection" entry it states:
    > "Any Available"
    > It should now work via RR.

    Nope:

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: news-server.nyc.rr.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 24.29.102.50
    Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    502 Permission Denied - Permission Denied - news server is restricted to
    Road Runner users only (Tornado v1.0.6.371)
    Query complete.

    That's what happens if you aren't accessing the newsserver from a RR
    network. There has been debate in the past about whether or not a
    'foreign' RR network can access some other RR 'geographical' newsserver,
    ie can a san.rr.com RR user access news-server.nyc.rr.com -- but clearly
    a non-RR network cannot.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 7, 2006