newsfeeds.com service

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    orcon users posts.

    "Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"

    Unlimited?
    http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
    MB/day/server"
    and from here,
    http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
    "There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
    server per member."

    Uncensored?
    well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
    although there are always rumours.

    "Total Privacy via Encryption"
    What encryption?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    > orcon users posts.
    >
    > "Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
    >
    > Unlimited?
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
    > MB/day/server"
    > and from here,
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
    > "There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
    > server per member."
    >
    > Uncensored?
    > well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
    > although there are always rumours.
    >
    > "Total Privacy via Encryption"
    > What encryption?

    Maybe they outsource to the Telecom marketing department ?

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:15:09 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    >orcon users posts.
    >
    >"Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
    >
    >Unlimited?
    >http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
    >MB/day/server"
    >and from here,
    >http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
    >"There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
    >server per member."
    >
    >Uncensored?
    >well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
    >although there are always rumours.
    >
    >"Total Privacy via Encryption"
    >What encryption?

    Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that? I
    seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
    about that stupid tagline.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Oct 19, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Oct 2004
    10:15:09 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    > orcon users posts.
    >
    > "Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
    >
    > Unlimited?
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
    > MB/day/server"
    > and from here,
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
    > "There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
    > server per member."
    >
    > Uncensored?
    > well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
    > although there are always rumours.
    >
    > "Total Privacy via Encryption"
    > What encryption?

    Obviously the banner is appended to all the messages regardless of their
    origin and refer to options that depend on the package selected by the
    customer.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 19, 2004
  5. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    >>orcon users posts.

    *snip*

    > Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

    yep, an orcon rep no less.

    > seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
    > about that stupid tagline.

    well it is still there.

    I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
    were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
    many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
    who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 19/10/2004 13:13:
    > DoggNZ wrote:
    >
    >>> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    >>> orcon users posts.

    > *snip*
    >
    >> Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

    > yep, an orcon rep no less.

    >> seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
    >> about that stupid tagline.

    > well it is still there.
    >
    > I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
    > were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
    > many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
    > who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

    What only 8 of us :)
    Collector_NZ, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
    >> were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
    >> many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
    >> who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

    > What only 8 of us :)

    I dont check the headers of your posts... I meant personally, as in real
    world friends :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > DoggNZ wrote:
    >>> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
    >>> orcon users posts.

    > *snip*
    >
    >> Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

    > yep, an orcon rep no less.

    >> seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
    >> about that stupid tagline.

    > well it is still there.
    >
    > I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
    > were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
    > many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
    > who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

    I hope I'm in that 8. If not include me.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:27:44 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    I'm getting bloody tired of their adverts on the end of each post too.

    --

    .... Brendan

    There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
    Arthur C. Clarke

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/10/2004 12:11:55 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Brendan wrote:
    > I'm getting bloody tired of their adverts on the end of each post too.

    the worst thing about them is that it makes it look like you are
    recommending them yourself.

    check out your last post for an example.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:05:21 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > the worst thing about them is that it makes it look like you are
    > recommending them yourself.

    Well if they can do it so can I. Check out My advert ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Everyone, in some small sacred sanctuary of the self, is nuts." -- Leo Calvin Rosten

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/10/2004 4:27:19 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:05:21 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>the worst thing about them is that it makes it look like you are
    >>recommending them yourself.

    > Well if they can do it so can I. Check out My advert ;)

    Are you claiming copyright on that ?, can I copy it ?
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:05:21 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>the worst thing about them is that it makes it look like you are
    >>recommending them yourself.

    > Well if they can do it so can I. Check out My advert ;)

    Sorry, forgot my manners - insert a please, please, thanks.
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:22:57 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > Are you claiming copyright on that ?, can I copy it ?

    I specifically release it for free reproduction to anyone protesting
    newsfeeds.com's practices. E.g. feel free to copy it yourself Chris :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. -Mark Twain

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/10/2004 5:54:03 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Not that 350Mb is worthwhile but I was wondering from someone on Orcon
    what the retention on the binary newsgroups is like? Still think it's
    funny that 350Mb = unlimited, that sounds like a Telecom ad.. Sign up
    to our new Super Fast Jet Stream service… with unlimited speed* and
    unlimited usage** get the world class service now!!

    fine print:
    * Maximum 256K
    * Up to 10Gb

    Toxickiwi, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:22:57 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>Are you claiming copyright on that ?, can I copy it ?

    > I specifically release it for free reproduction to anyone protesting
    > newsfeeds.com's practices. E.g. feel free to copy it yourself Chris :)

    Thanks, I add it to my Orcon account sig file, I'm using Teranews at the
    moment as Orcon was on a go so the last time I used it.
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:22:57 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>Are you claiming copyright on that ?, can I copy it ?

    > I specifically release it for free reproduction to anyone protesting
    > newsfeeds.com's practices. E.g. feel free to copy it yourself Chris :)

    Thanks again :)

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:57:36 +1300, Chris Mayhew <>
    provided this moment of wisdom:

    >Thanks, I add it to my Orcon account sig file, I'm using Teranews at the
    >moment as Orcon was on a go so the last time I used it.

    How do you find Teranews's reliability? I resserected my old Teranews
    account last week and found them to be missing about 30% of the posts
    from nz.comp. And posting through them seemed nigh on impossible (at
    that time).

    /Begin Sig
    Welcome to RJ's house of idiots
    #1. Redbaiter - lights are on, but noone's home
    #2. Harry - monkey see, monkey do
    #3. Mr Scebe - proof of Darwin's theory
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig
    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 19, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Ryan_Jacobs wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:57:36 +1300, Chris Mayhew <>
    > provided this moment of wisdom:
    >

    >>Thanks, I add it to my Orcon account sig file, I'm using Teranews at the
    >>moment as Orcon was on a go so the last time I used it.

    > How do you find Teranews's reliability? I resserected my old Teranews
    > account last week and found them to be missing about 30% of the posts
    > from nz.comp. And posting through them seemed nigh on impossible (at
    > that time).

    Patchy, like Orcon, though I am only using the "free" news server, for
    which a one off payment of $USD3.95 was made. I have found that it has
    more posts to nz.comp than Orcon does at times, particularly those
    people using individual.net. There are times when it is very slow or
    sometimes appears off line, due, I guess to large numbers of users
    trying to access it at the same time. I tend to use 1 server until it
    has a problem then switch to the other, until it has a problem etc.
    I've never found them to be both unusable at the same time.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 20, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:02:21 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > Thanks again :)

    lol, thats ok :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Do not fear death so much but rather the inadequate life." -- Bertolt Brecht

    Note: All my comments are copyright 20/10/2004 9:18:39 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 20, 2004