News: Windows Vista System Requirements

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006.

  1. Quote:
    As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers shopping for
    new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more comprehensive guidance to
    aid them in their decisions. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced the launch of
    the Windows Vista "Get Ready" Web site, the worldwide availability of
    Windows Vista Capable PCs, the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs
    and the availability of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta.
    "Customers have many options and choices to make when it comes to buying a
    PC today. A wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies
    figure into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of
    Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that in mind,
    Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the arrival of
    Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they need to get a great
    Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich Windows Vista experiences
    tomorrow."

    Read the rest here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/may06/05-18GetReadyPR.mspx

    Get Ready website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

    It seems very fair to me.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:50 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Read the rest here:

    Does the article say "wait with your purchase until Vista is released,
    because by that time you get more buck for the money"? :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 18, 2006

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John John Guest

    I have not tried Vista but I just have to wonder...

    How much more expensive will the "Aero" Vista Premium be? What will it
    include other than fancy "eye candy" over the other editions? After
    paying that much more for fancy visual effect how many people will
    simply turn the visual effects off, thus flushing money down the drain?

    How many people simply turn off all the XP visual effects and run the
    Classic Desktop to have more power to run the applications? Most of the
    XP installations that I have done for friends and neighbours ended up
    without fancy visuals because the users accustomed to the older Windows
    simply hate the XP "Luna" look or they notice how much of a drag these
    visuals have on other applications. Let's be honest, how many of the
    most seasoned and knowledgeable users turn off these fancy features?

    From the site Andre pointed us to I read:

    A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

    * 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
    * 1 GB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
    * 128 MB of graphics memory.

    Not to bitch and complain but I doubt that I would want 1 GB Ram and all
    the graphics memory to be used just so Windows can look pretty. There
    is not just Windows in the picture, along with these new computers with
    tons of memory, fast multi-core cpu's and super expensive video cards
    will come games and applications to make use of it all. I don't need
    Windows to take what the applications want or need. I want my
    applications to scream and Windows to do what it's supposed to do even
    faster and better without crashing! Looking pretty is for other things...

    Since Windows 95 haven't we all, or haven't most of use been engaged in
    a tweaking quest to make Windows faster and more robust, a simple search
    on the internet will yield thousands of sites with information and
    suggestions on how to disable non necessary Windows "features". And
    ever since Windows 95, each and every new Windows release brings forth
    more fluff to disable and tweak and a whole pile of new websites devoted
    to the "eternal quest" of making Windows faster. Vista will sure lead
    to many more such "tweaking" sites, a new height in pc "fluff".

    John

    John John, May 18, 2006
  4. No, the 1GB of RAM is a realistic estimate if you plan to run Windows Vista
    in addition to additional applications on that system. The visual effects
    such Aero do serve a purpose, providing smoother video, thats not jaggy,
    also, its easier on the eyes and its just beautiful. What purpose does Aqua
    serve in OS X?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006
  5. For businesses its a great guideline, since they don't upgrade on a regular
    basis as consumers, it will give them the appropriate information make the
    right decisions about upgrading existing systems to meet the needs for Vista
    and make the right decision when placing future purchases.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006
  6. > No, the 1GB of RAM is a realistic estimate if you plan to run Windows
    > Vista in addition to additional applications on that system.

    1GB is my personal minimum for XP today. It *works* with 512MB, but you
    expect plenty of hard disk swapping if you're going to launch more than one
    instance of IE and you're the type who prefers to leave Outlook running in
    the background rather than launch it and shut it down 20 times a day. 1GB
    leaves it snappy and responsive 90% of the time.

    At least the way *I* use it.
    Homer J. Simpson, May 18, 2006
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    DP Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Hmmm.....

    I guess the installer doesn't recognize x64. It says I need to have XP or
    Vista running before the installer will install the Vista advisor program.
    Anyone else run into this?

    DP, May 19, 2006
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Jane Colman Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    That may be because the tool is intended to verify if someone currently
    running XP can upgrade to Vista. XP x64 is *not actually* XP...it's Windows
    Server 2003 codebase ;)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, May 19, 2006
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Yes, this is a tool to determine XP -> Vista upgrade potential.
    They released a similar tool for Win98/ME/NT/2000 -> XP called the "Windows
    XP Upgrade Advisor" back when Windows XP was coming. It's also included on
    the Windows XP install CD.

    Also...
    Windows XP x64 -> Vista x64 upgrade will not be supported.
    We probably won't see a 64-bit upgrade advisor.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 19, 2006
  10. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Windows XP x86 is only supported at this time, its still beta, hopefully,
    future versions will support addtional platforms.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 19, 2006
  11. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    I beg to differ, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, is a Edition of
    Windows XP, just that it was built on a newer codebase than Windows XP x86,
    but it does inherit some of the strengths and advantages of Windows Server
    2003. Its similar to Windows XP in ways such as its based on the NT Kernel,
    utilizes the NTFS and has similar licensing limitations as Windows XP x86.

    Saying its not actually Windows XP, would be saying Windows Server 2003 is
    not Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 is not Windows XP, when both were built
    from the Windows 2000 Advanced Server code base.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 19, 2006
  12. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    well, actually, the code bases split a while back. Something that MS wants
    to correct now in the Vista/LH wave. But XP and XP x64 are actually
    significantly different code bases at this point. Yes, most of the features
    that went into XP SP2 found their way into Server 2k3 SP1.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2006
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Jane Colman Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Yep. It would be nice to get a version to support x64. I ran the tool on
    my 32 bit installation and passed with flying colours ;) My pc will
    definitely run Vista with Aero. So presumably 32bit stuff is ok. I'd love
    to know whether if I go for 64bit Vista it would be the same.

    I don't like 32bit any more :(

    Jane Colman, May 19, 2006
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    It would be unlikely that the 64-bit version would have any different
    requirements except the 64-bit processor. If your 32-bit is on the same
    machine you can cheer up. It should pass and have the ability to provide
    even better results.

    John Barnes, May 19, 2006
  15. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Well, for Vista and Longhorn Server, I understand the reset that took place
    and the codebase started development off the Server 2003 SP1 branch, but I
    would probably say they are into their own now. But I was referring to where
    XP started from, which was the 2000 Branch, of course its not 2000 Server
    codebase anymore because of changes made to it during its development. We
    must also remember that Longhorn client (now Vista) was being built from XP
    codebase too.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 19, 2006
  16. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Jane -- If your machine will run XP x64, it will almost certainly run Vista
    x64, assuming it meets the minimum RAM and Video requirements, which I don't
    doubt. ;)

    The one caveat that we'll all have to deal with - drivers MUST be signed for
    Vista x64. And no one will get a Vista logo without working on x64 version.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2006
  17. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    Sounds more like an added benefit than a have to deal with. At least any
    new hardware will have to have 64-bit drivers or risk losing a large
    consumer base.

    John Barnes, May 19, 2006
  18. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    I am running Vista x64 on AMD 1.6 GHz, 512 MBs of RAM, 128 MB AGP, Geforce
    FX 5200, and its working just fine, I have all the bells and whistles. :)
    Whats your specs Jane?

    Andre Da Costa, May 19, 2006
  19. Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    I agree, in the long run. In fact, it makes x64 even more compelling for
    me - I prefer to know who created my drivers. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2006
  20. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Jane Colman Guest

    Re: Windows Vista System Requirements

    P4 3Ghz EM64T, 1Gig DDR RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9600 series, Intel 865PE
    chipset on motherboard. More RAM is on the shopping list ;)

    Jane Colman, May 19, 2006