    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 17, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > "Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new
    > motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new
    > Windows licence. Here is what Microsoft has to say: "An upgrade of the
    > motherboard is considered to result in a 'new personal computer' to which
    > Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another
    > computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than
    > a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new
    > operating system software is required." Please note that this does not go
    > for retail copies of Windows, but only for OEM versions.
    > Read the rest here:
    > http://www.aviransplace.com/index.p...5/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/
    > Well, I don't have to worry anyway, since the motherboard for my IBM Aptiva
    > is dead and the Windows license is useless (98 SE), only can be installed on
    > a IBM Aptiva.

    It could happen, but I'll believe it only when I see it from a bonafide
    Microsoft source, not from an unattributed "quote" on a random web page.
    Where's the link to the official Microsoft press release?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry
    Bruce Chambers, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/OSLicQA.doc

    John Barnes, Feb 17, 2006
  4. John Barnes wrote:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/OSLicQA.doc

    That's closer, but has anyone seen a copy of the new OEM EULA?

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 17, 2006
  5. :p Good find John.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 17, 2006
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Vanguard Guest

    Re: Windows OEM Not Transferable to New Motherboard

    > "If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a
    > defect, ..."

    So become creative as to what defines a "defect". Since the mobo can be
    replaced due to a defect, and since mobo models become defunct and are no
    longer available, then a different *replacement* mobo will have to be a
    different model. It's amazing and simple how an otherwise working mobo can
    suddenly become defective.
    Vanguard, Feb 17, 2006
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ivan Guest

    There is it:
    Microsoft® OEM System Builder License:
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

    Ivan, Feb 17, 2006
  8. So this starts again the age old question. When is it really a computer.
    Conception or Birth?
    --
    JE

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEVsbHdvb2Q=?=, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Ivan wrote:
    > There is it:
    > Microsoft® OEM System Builder License:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

    No, a Systems Builder license is not at all the same thing as an End
    User license. It's widely been known for years that Microsoft has
    forced its licensed Systems Builders to define the computer as the
    motherboard, for the purposes of *their* license. This is nothing new.
    However, that definition has *never* been passed on to the consumer by
    being placed within the OEM EULA. Contractual constraints placed upon
    the system builder obviously cannot be made to apply to the end user
    without being included in the EULA.

    So, what I'm trying to determine is the precise text of the purported
    *NEW* OEM EULA. Has anyone actually seen a rewritten OEM EULA, or is
    this just another piece of FUD being spread by anti-Microsoft zealots?
    Next best thing: a link to an official Microsoft statement to the affect
    that the OEM EULA has been rewritten to redefine the computer.

    Mind you, I'm not putting it past Microsoft to rewrite the OEM EULA,
    nor am I saying that it can't happen. I'm just looking for something
    more substantial before bothering to be concerned up over what may well
    be nothing more than another repetition of a frequently recirculated
    rumor. (And I'd really like to see the wording of a EULA that prohibits
    a consumer from repairing or upgrading his own personal property -- and
    that would hold up in court.)

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 18, 2006
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    In as much as the vendors that Andre lists have in their terms of sale the
    following
    Purchasers of this software are required to comply with the terms of the
    System Builder License

    OEM END USER

    IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User
    License Agreement ('EULA') is a legal
    agreement between you (either an individual
    or a single entity) and the manufacturer
    ("Manufacturer") of the computer system or
    computer system component ('HARDWARE') with
    which you acquired the Microsoft software
    product(s) identified on the Certificate of
    Authenticity ("COA") affixed to the HARDWARE
    or on the associated product documentation

    In as much as the agreement is between the system builder and the customer,
    the system builder could not alter the requirements that are imposed upon
    them by Microsoft and therefore your point would be mute.

    I am sure that in certain jurisdictions that there may be legal exclusions,
    but this would be the general interpretation.

    John Barnes, Feb 18, 2006
  11. Re: Windows OEM Not Transferable to New Motherboard

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    > It's amazing and simple how an otherwise working mobo can suddenly become
    > defective.

    It's even more amazing and simple than you thought it was. Just try
    installing Vista beta 1 x64 checked build. After it hangs or powers off or
    blue screens in the middle of installation, sometimes the BIOS won't even
    reboot any more.

    (Note: this has no connection to the ongoing install of Vista beta 1 x86
    32-bit checked build onto a machine with a 32-bit CPU, which I've mentioned
    in other newsgroups. That one didn't hang or power off or blue screen in
    the middle. Well not yet anyway. I started it on Sept. 24, 2005 and the
    installer is still running.)
    Norman Diamond, Feb 20, 2006