News: VMware to make server product free

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. "VMware, an EMC subsidiary whose software lets multiple operating systems
    run on the same computer, is expected to announce next week that it will
    begin giving away one of its key products for free, CNET News.com has
    learned.
    The company sells three core products, VMware Workstation, GSX Server and
    ESX Server, but competition is on the horizon in a market VMware once had to
    itself. On Monday, however, the company is expected to announce it will give
    away GSX for free, sources familiar with the plan said.

    GSX runs on a "host" Windows or Linux operating system and then lets "guest"
    operating systems run atop it in compartments called virtual machines. The
    higher-end ESX product, in contrast, needs no host and runs below the
    operating system layer."

    Read the rest here:
    http://news.com.com/VMware to make server product free/2100-1012_3-6034615.html?tag=nefd.top

    The things that a $99 (until June 30th 2006) product can do (Virtual
    Server). :)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Re: VMware to make server product free

    Pretty exciting stuff, really.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Re: VMware to make server product free

    however, at least at this point, no x64 client support. Though I have to
    believe it can't be too far down the road.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2006