News: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. TechGeekPro

    TechGeekPro Guest

    From Yahoo! News (AP):

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040408/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/econo
    my_3
    or http://tinyurl.com/27j9c

    Are thing really picking up?

    I've heard the the figures for U.S. jobless claims include
    unemployment benefits extensions (which Congress, in their infinite wisdom,
    ended in 12/03). That would certainly make it appear as though jobless
    claims in the U.S. were on the decline. This article refers to "new" jobless
    claims so maybe they're using different statistics. Of course, there are all
    the recently laid off workers from Gateway and Sun Microsystems now. :-(

    Anyone have any thoughts on the situation?
    (I'm sure this group does)

    --
    I may not be fully certified, but I am fully certifiable.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004

  2. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > Anyone have any thoughts on the situation?

    Yes.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004

  3. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "TechGeekPro" <%username%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > From Yahoo! News (AP):

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040408/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/econo
    > my_3
    > or http://tinyurl.com/27j9c
    >
    > Are thing really picking up?
    >
    > I've heard the the figures for U.S. jobless claims include
    > unemployment benefits extensions (which Congress, in their infinite

    wisdom,
    > ended in 12/03). That would certainly make it appear as though jobless
    > claims in the U.S. were on the decline. This article refers to "new"

    jobless
    > claims so maybe they're using different statistics. Of course, there are

    all
    > the recently laid off workers from Gateway and Sun Microsystems now. :-(
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the situation?
    > (I'm sure this group does)

    You're correct in that these numbers are misleading. The headline of the
    article is especially misleading. "US Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000".
    This is *new* jobless claims. That is, 328,000 people filed for unemployment
    in a *week*. One week. And they're using "seasonally adjusted" numbers,
    whatever that means. I don't give a fsck what season it is, it's still
    328,000 people. This does not mean the economy is getting better. It simply
    means the economy isn't getting worse *as fast* as it was before. But
    hopefully this is a trend, and there will be less and less new unemployment
    claims in the future, and we'll dig ourselves out of this economic funk
    we've been in for a couple years, but I'm not holding my breath.

    And about the Sun layoffs - there was a thread the other day about this.
    While they're still layoffs and people are losing their jobs, they can't all
    possibly be tech jobs, so our little niche of the economy isn't going to be
    affected as much as it *could* be, I suppose.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 8, 2004
  4. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > The headline of the
    > article is especially misleading. "US Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000".

    But if the jobless claims previously are higher, then it did indeed tumble.

    > This does not mean the economy is getting better.

    I disagree.

    > means the economy isn't getting worse *as fast* as it was before.

    The economy has been on an upswing for quite awhile now.

    > we'll dig ourselves out of this economic funk
    > we've been in for a couple years, but I'm not holding my breath.

    We have dug out of it. The numbers show that. The problem is, no one
    believes it accept for people in the business.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  5. TechGeekPro

    John Smith Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    would the loss of Sun jobs really flood the field with microsoft engineers
    anyway? even if they were all IT layoffs...

    John Smith, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > "TechGeekPro" <%username%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > From Yahoo! News (AP):

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040408/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/econo
    > > my_3
    > > or http://tinyurl.com/27j9c
    > >
    > > Are thing really picking up?
    > >
    > > I've heard the the figures for U.S. jobless claims include
    > > unemployment benefits extensions (which Congress, in their infinite

    > wisdom,
    > > ended in 12/03). That would certainly make it appear as though jobless
    > > claims in the U.S. were on the decline. This article refers to "new"

    > jobless
    > > claims so maybe they're using different statistics. Of course, there are

    > all
    > > the recently laid off workers from Gateway and Sun Microsystems now. :-(
    > >
    > > Anyone have any thoughts on the situation?
    > > (I'm sure this group does)

    > You're correct in that these numbers are misleading. The headline of the
    > article is especially misleading. "US Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000".
    > This is *new* jobless claims. That is, 328,000 people filed for

    unemployment
    > in a *week*. One week. And they're using "seasonally adjusted" numbers,
    > whatever that means. I don't give a fsck what season it is, it's still
    > 328,000 people. This does not mean the economy is getting better. It

    simply
    > means the economy isn't getting worse *as fast* as it was before. But
    > hopefully this is a trend, and there will be less and less new

    unemployment
    > claims in the future, and we'll dig ourselves out of this economic funk
    > we've been in for a couple years, but I'm not holding my breath.

    There are always going to be people filling for unemployment every week. If
    the recent trend was 314,000 a week, then a week with 328,000 would be a bad
    sign. If the recent trend was 342,000 then 328,000 is a good sign.

    Zero is an unreasonable goal so you have to expect a number of unemployment
    fillings a week. The number is good or bad based on recent trends, not on
    it's relation to zero.

    --
    Politician Spock
    Thug #24601

    Politician Spock, Apr 8, 2004
  7. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > We have dug out of it. The numbers show that. The problem is, no one
    > believes it accept for people in the business.

    What business? I was referring to the economy as a whole, not one specific
    sector.

    I know my Sunday Globe Help Wanted section hasn't gotten much bigger over
    the last few months. While not the de facto source of information about
    economic strength, the Help Wanted sections of major newspapers provide a
    general overview of the economy...and I see mostly medical jobs (nurses,
    etc), and not much else (relatively speaking). Maybe it's just a Boston
    thing, or Massachusetts thing, or New England thing, I don't know. Hopefully
    things are better in your neck of the woods.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 8, 2004
  8. TechGeekPro

    billyw Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    your trust in politicians worries me sometimes..
    remember if the gov says it.. it's a lie..

    billyw, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > "Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > We have dug out of it. The numbers show that. The problem is, no one
    > > believes it accept for people in the business.

    > What business? I was referring to the economy as a whole, not one specific
    > sector.
    >
    > I know my Sunday Globe Help Wanted section hasn't gotten much bigger over
    > the last few months. While not the de facto source of information about
    > economic strength, the Help Wanted sections of major newspapers provide a
    > general overview of the economy...and I see mostly medical jobs (nurses,
    > etc), and not much else (relatively speaking). Maybe it's just a Boston
    > thing, or Massachusetts thing, or New England thing, I don't know.

    Hopefully
    > things are better in your neck of the woods.
    >
    > --
    >
    > KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Just an FYI:

    My Monster and Dice agents used to send me emails with jobs across the US
    for the keywords "Citrix" and "CCEA" about once or twice a week. Now I get
    8-10 a day from Dice, and 2-3 a day from Monster.

    There is definitely an increase in demand in my niche.

    --
    Politician Spock
    Thug #24601

    Politician Spock, Apr 8, 2004
  10. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > What business? I was referring to the economy as a whole, not one specific
    > sector.

    As was I. The US economy as a whole, is doing quite well.

    Like I said, no one believes it. I don't know why. But all the economic
    indicators that economists use say the economy is doing well.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  11. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > your trust in politicians worries me sometimes..
    > remember if the gov says it.. it's a lie..

    Who do you get your information from?

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  12. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    Jtyc opined, On 4/8/04 10:27 AM:

    >>The headline of the
    >>article is especially misleading. "US Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000".

    > But if the jobless claims previously are higher, then it did indeed tumble.

    Define 'tumble'. More like lowered slightly.

    >>This does not mean the economy is getting better.

    > I disagree.

    You are free to do so. However, the stark fact is that jobs, particulary
    living wage jobs, are not increasing at any dramatic rate. The economy
    is being propped up by artificially low interest rates. If they go up by
    as much as two points, what do you think will happen?

    >>means the economy isn't getting worse *as fast* as it was before.

    Potayto, potahto.

    > The economy has been on an upswing for quite awhile now.

    Upswing? Quite a while? Scuse me? So you're saying that all the people
    that lost their jobs in the last four years are back to work, and new
    jobs are being created in addition? Don't think so...

    >>we'll dig ourselves out of this economic funk
    >>we've been in for a couple years, but I'm not holding my breath.

    > We have dug out of it. The numbers show that. The problem is, no one
    > believes it accept for people in the business.

    "We have dug out of it" See post above. Perhaps "Are digging out of it"
    at best.

    YMMV

    *sh$t! Jtyc finally drug me in to one. fsck fsck fsck!

    JaR
    New Deal Thug

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  13. TechGeekPro

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > JaR
    > New Deal Thug

    Excuse me, my pot is empty. Where's the line for the chickens?

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 8, 2004
  14. TechGeekPro

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    > You are free to do so. However, the stark fact is that jobs, particulary
    > living wage jobs, are not increasing at any dramatic rate. The economy
    > is being propped up by artificially low interest rates. If they go up by
    > as much as two points, what do you think will happen?

    Interest rates do not rise that fast.

    > Upswing? Quite a while? Scuse me? So you're saying that all the people
    > that lost their jobs in the last four years are back to work,

    Unemployment is at 5.7%.

    Jtyc, Apr 8, 2004
  15. TechGeekPro

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    The "economists" aren't unemployed.

    TechGeekPro, Apr 8, 2004
  16. TechGeekPro

    billyw Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    the government

    billyw, Apr 8, 2004
  17. TechGeekPro

    billyw Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    what economists are you listening to..
    ah gov ones...

    your country is running a deficit that would choke a horse.. and some one is
    going to have to pay for it... remember this is an election year so anything
    a politician says should be trusted even less..

    billyw, Apr 8, 2004
  18. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    Politician Spock opined, On 4/8/04 10:55 AM:

    > Just an FYI:
    >
    > My Monster and Dice agents used to send me emails with jobs across the US
    > for the keywords "Citrix" and "CCEA" about once or twice a week. Now I get
    > 8-10 a day from Dice, and 2-3 a day from Monster.
    >
    > There is definitely an increase in demand in my niche.

    You ever actually _look_ at those emails? Mine have gone up
    exponentially as well. However, the jobs are of the "Work at home" and
    "Earn $5000.00 the first Week" variety.

    YMMV

    JaR

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  19. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    Ken Briscoe opined, On 4/8/04 11:02 AM:

    > "JaR" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>JaR
    >>New Deal Thug

    > Excuse me, my pot is empty. Where's the line for the chickens?

    Chickens to the left, feathers to the right.

    You may want to join the faster of the two lines.

    The one for chickens seems to be just getting longer.

    Underlying political meaning purely unintended.

    JaR, Apr 8, 2004
  20. TechGeekPro

    JaR Guest

    Re: "U.S. Jobless Claims Tumble to 328,000"

    Jtyc opined, On 4/8/04 11:04 AM:

    > Interest rates do not rise that fast.

    Pretty definite statement, that. Care to cite? Were you around in the
    early '80s? Can you say "Double Digit"?

    >>Upswing? Quite a while? Scuse me? So you're saying that all the people
    >>that lost their jobs in the last four years are back to work,

    > Adjusted Unemployment is at 5.7%.

    I fixed your statement for you.

    >>jobs are being created in addition?

    > Yes.