    12:00 midnight on Sunday, 4 December, data used by
    TelstraClear residential broadband customers will be
    free.

    Your Name, Nov 30, 2011

  2. Your Name

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Your Name) wrote in
    news::

    > I've just seen a TV advert saying that TelstraClear is having a "Free
    > Broadband Weekend" with unmetered traffic this weekend. This is
    > "borrowed" from GeekZone.co.nz ...
    >
    > TelstraClear is letting kiwis surf the web, watch video
    > and eamil to their heart's content all the first weekend
    > in December. From 6:00pm on Friday, 2 December until
    > 12:00 midnight on Sunday, 4 December, data used by
    > TelstraClear residential broadband customers will be
    > free.

    Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database? Seriously
    though, I used some Skype video for a few hours to Canada and it did use
    quite a bit of my cap!

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 30, 2011

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <Xns9FADEF21875FBdaveytaynospamplshot@94.75.214.90>, Dave
    Taylor <> wrote:
    > (Your Name) wrote in
    > >

    > > I've just seen a TV advert saying that TelstraClear is having a "Free
    > > Broadband Weekend" with unmetered traffic this weekend. This is
    > > "borrowed" from GeekZone.co.nz ...
    > >
    > > TelstraClear is letting kiwis surf the web, watch video
    > > and eamil to their heart's content all the first weekend
    > > in December. From 6:00pm on Friday, 2 December until
    > > 12:00 midnight on Sunday, 4 December, data used by
    > > TelstraClear residential broadband customers will be
    > > free.

    > Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database? Seriously
    > though, I used some Skype video for a few hours to Canada and it did use
    > quite a bit of my cap!

    It was advertised in yesterday's NZ Herald too.

    Really it's just a candy stick to drag in more donkey customers - you can
    sign up today and get unmetered access this weekend (assuming you already
    have a broadband modem since any free one they send out probably won't
    arrive in time).

    Your Name, Nov 30, 2011
  4. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > > (Your Name) wrote in
    > >>
    > >> I've just seen a TV advert saying that TelstraClear is having a "Free
    > >> Broadband Weekend" with unmetered traffic this weekend. This is
    > >> "borrowed" from GeekZone.co.nz ...
    > >>
    > >> TelstraClear is letting kiwis surf the web, watch video
    > >> and eamil to their heart's content all the first weekend
    > >> in December. From 6:00pm on Friday, 2 December until
    > >> 12:00 midnight on Sunday, 4 December, data used by
    > >> TelstraClear residential broadband customers will be
    > >> free.

    > > Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database?

    > How many people actually download or rip content they don't have rights to?
    > I would have thought it was quite low, but maybe I'm being naive.

    Not low enough unfortunately. Of course, piracy was around long before the
    Internet, but the Internet does make it even easier. There are many naive,
    stupid and / or selfish people who blindly believe that a website with a
    download button means they are actually allowed to download whatever it
    links to for free without realising / caring that it's illegally copied.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  5. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 1/12/2011 1:29 p.m., Allistar wrote:

    > Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or sell)
    > the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the file is
    > the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould hazard a guess
    > that most people wouldn't.

    I expect they think it is nonsense and ignore it.

    victor, Dec 1, 2011
  6. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    > > On 1/12/2011 1:29 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or
    > >> sell) the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the
    > >> file is the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould
    > >> hazard a guess that most people wouldn't.

    > > I expect they think it is nonsense and ignore it.

    > It amazes me that people agree to conditions at the time of sale and yet so
    > vagrantly reneg on them later on.

    Few people even read those conditions - most people don't even know they exist.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  7. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, Allistar
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> How many people actually download or rip content they don't have rights
    > >> to? I would have thought it was quite low, but maybe I'm being naive.

    > > Not low enough unfortunately. Of course, piracy was around long before the
    > > Internet, but the Internet does make it even easier. There are many naive,
    > > stupid and / or selfish people who blindly believe that a website with a
    > > download button means they are actually allowed to download whatever it
    > > links to for free without realising / caring that it's illegally copied.

    > Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or sell)
    > the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the file is
    > the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould hazard a guess
    > that most people wouldn't.

    Depending on where in the world you live, "ripping" (or "backing up" or
    whatever other term people want to use) a CD isn't actually legal in the
    first place, even when you've bought it. Music companies are turning a
    blind eye to people doing that for their own use due to the rise in
    digital MP3 player usage.

    Movie companies are largely doing the same, but quite a few DVDs now ship
    with a "digital" version included in the pack specifically for people who
    want to put the movie on their iPad, etc.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  8. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-11-30, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> (Your Name) wrote in
    >>

    >>> I've just seen a TV advert saying that TelstraClear is having a "Free
    >>> Broadband Weekend" with unmetered traffic this weekend. This is
    >>> "borrowed" from GeekZone.co.nz ...
    >>>
    >>> TelstraClear is letting kiwis surf the web, watch video
    >>> and eamil to their heart's content all the first weekend
    >>> in December. From 6:00pm on Friday, 2 December until
    >>> 12:00 midnight on Sunday, 4 December, data used by
    >>> TelstraClear residential broadband customers will be
    >>> free.
    >>>

    >> Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database?

    Nah, pure get the customer base up I would suggest. Or see what no cap means
    in terms of data transfer.

    One thing for sure, they will collect some data which they will be unwilling
    to publish.

    > How many people actually download or rip content they don't have rights to?
    > I would have thought it was quite low, but maybe I'm being naive.

    Well you are. According to the movie studios etc, many billions of $ is lost
    by people ripping away.

    On another note, is it legal in NZ to rip a DVD one has purchased?

    Gordon, Dec 1, 2011
  9. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-01, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    >

    > Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or sell)
    > the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the file is
    > the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould hazard a guess
    > that most people wouldn't.

    But what if you did not listen to the ripped copy?

    The thing that really has me interested is this. One can now buy mp3 music,
    free from DRM. So how many mates are sharing it. Buy one copy and pass
    copies along to mates?

    Then we have all you can hear streaming services for a monthly fee.

    Gordon, Dec 1, 2011
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Gordon <>
    wrote:

    > On 2011-12-01, Allistar <> wrote:
    > > Your Name wrote:
    > >

    > > Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or sell)
    > > the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the file is
    > > the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould hazard a

    guess
    > > that most people wouldn't.

    > But what if you did not listen to the ripped copy?

    Using or not using the copy makes no difference to the licensing /
    copyright agreement (again, depending on the country you live in). It's
    making the copy in the first place that is the problem.

    > The thing that really has me interested is this. One can now buy mp3 music,
    > free from DRM. So how many mates are sharing it. Buy one copy and pass
    > copies along to mates?

    That's still breaking the licensing / copyright agreement and is included
    in piracy.

    > Then we have all you can hear streaming services for a monthly fee.

    Depends on the streaming site itself. Some are legal and some are not.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  11. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Gordon <>
    wrote:
    > On 2011-11-30, Allistar <> wrote:
    > > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database?

    > Nah, pure get the customer base up I would suggest. Or see what no cap means
    > in terms of data transfer.
    >
    > One thing for sure, they will collect some data which they will be unwilling
    > to publish.
    >

    > > How many people actually download or rip content they don't have rights to?
    > > I would have thought it was quite low, but maybe I'm being naive.

    > Well you are. According to the movie studios etc, many billions of $ is lost
    > by people ripping away.
    >
    > On another note, is it legal in NZ to rip a DVD one has purchased?

    That may depend on the individual DVD's license / copyright agreement. You
    would need to thoroughly read and understand all the small print.
    Unfortunately that small print is usually rather vague (no doubt partly on
    purpose) - for example I just checked a DVD I happened to have on my desk
    and the small print says:

    "Any unauthorised copying, duplicating, editing, renting,
    exchanging, hiring, selling, lending, public performance,
    diffusion and/or bradcast of this DVD or any part thereof
    is strictly prohibited, is an infringement of copyright
    and may result in legal liability."

    Nowhere does it actually say what is and isn't "unauthorised" though.

    Technically you selling the DVD or swapping at a second-hand book / DVD
    store once you no longer want it is against that small print, as is
    lending it to friends / family.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  12. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Gordon <>
    wrote:
    > On 2011-11-30, Allistar <> wrote:
    > > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > >> (Your Name) wrote in

    > >> Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database?

    > Nah, pure get the customer base up I would suggest. Or see what no cap means
    > in terms of data transfer.
    >
    > One thing for sure, they will collect some data which they will be unwilling
    > to publish.

    It does have the usual restrictions - for example, if you set your
    computer to download every movie on YouTube, the constant traffic could
    get you slowed down or completely disconnected.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  13. On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:20:46 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Allistar
    ><> wrote:
    >> Your Name wrote:

    >> > Not low enough unfortunately. Of course, piracy was around long before the
    >> > Internet, but the Internet does make it even easier. There are many naive,
    >> > stupid and / or selfish people who blindly believe that a website with a
    >> > download button means they are actually allowed to download whatever it
    >> > links to for free without realising / caring that it's illegally copied.

    >> Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or sell)
    >> the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the file is
    >> the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould hazard a guess
    >> that most people wouldn't.

    >Depending on where in the world you live, "ripping" (or "backing up" or
    >whatever other term people want to use) a CD isn't actually legal in the
    >first place, even when you've bought it. Music companies are turning a
    >blind eye to people doing that for their own use due to the rise in
    >digital MP3 player usage.
    >
    >Movie companies are largely doing the same, but quite a few DVDs now ship
    >with a "digital" version included in the pack specifically for people who
    >want to put the movie on their iPad, etc.

    Actually, the recent NZ copyright act does make it legal to "format
    shift" a CD you own. Doing it to other media is still illegal.

    Stephen Worthington, Dec 1, 2011
  14. On 1 Dec 2011 04:55:05 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-11-30, Allistar <> wrote:
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Your Name) wrote in

    >>> Interesting. Perhaps a ploy to feed the 3 strikes database?

    >Nah, pure get the customer base up I would suggest. Or see what no cap means
    >in terms of data transfer.
    >
    >One thing for sure, they will collect some data which they will be unwilling
    >to publish.
    >

    >> How many people actually download or rip content they don't have rights to?
    >> I would have thought it was quite low, but maybe I'm being naive.

    >Well you are. According to the movie studios etc, many billions of $ is lost
    >by people ripping away.
    >
    >On another note, is it legal in NZ to rip a DVD one has purchased?

    No, the recent copyright act only made it legal to format shift CDs,
    not DVDs.

    Stephen Worthington, Dec 1, 2011
  15. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 1/12/2011 1:47 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/12/2011 1:29 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    >>

    >>> Do many people know that if you buy a CD and rip it, if you give (or
    >>> sell) the CD you legally have to delete the ripped file too? Deleting the
    >>> file is the right thing to do (both legally and morally) but I waould
    >>> hazard a guess that most people wouldn't.

    >> I expect they think it is nonsense and ignore it.

    > It amazes me that people agree to conditions at the time of sale and yet so
    > vagrantly reneg on them later on.

    Here's how it goes Al.
    They buy a CD because they like the music.
    They rip it to itunes because they want it on their ipod.
    At some point years after they stop listening to it and everyone has
    moved on the the next fashionable crap they stick their old CDs in a bag
    and take them to a car boot sale or second hand shop or put them on trademe.
    The record company doesn't care, they have made their outrageous margin
    at the first sale.
    The first buyer has turned trash into cash, the second has old music.
    Its definitely not amazing.

    victor, Dec 1, 2011
  16. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    > >> It amazes me that people agree to conditions at the time of sale and yet
    > >> so vagrantly reneg on them later on.

    > > Here's how it goes Al.
    > > They buy a CD because they like the music.
    > > They rip it to itunes because they want it on their ipod.
    > > At some point years after they stop listening to it and everyone has
    > > moved on the the next fashionable crap they stick their old CDs in a bag
    > > and take them to a car boot sale or second hand shop or put them on
    > > trademe. The record company doesn't care, they have made their outrageous
    > > margin at the first sale.
    > > The first buyer has turned trash into cash, the second has old music.
    > > Its definitely not amazing.

    > I see nothing wrong with that so long as the music the ripped is removed
    > from their iPod when then no longer own the physical medium it came on.
    >
    > Otherwise people could buy a CD, rip it, sell the CD and keep the ripped
    > files.

    "Could"?!? Some people already purposely do that and have been doing that
    long before MP3 players were around - they used to copy CDs, record to
    tape casstte, etc. That is why most shops won't allow customers to return
    CD / DVDs / games (unless of course the disc is faulty, in which case
    they'll give you another disc of the same CD / DVD / game) ... but all
    they do is sell them on TradeMe after copying them instead.

    Your Name, Dec 1, 2011
  17. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 2/12/2011 9:42 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> It amazes me that people agree to conditions at the time of sale and yet
    >>> so vagrantly reneg on them later on.

    >> Here's how it goes Al.
    >> They buy a CD because they like the music.
    >> They rip it to itunes because they want it on their ipod.
    >> At some point years after they stop listening to it and everyone has
    >> moved on the the next fashionable crap they stick their old CDs in a bag
    >> and take them to a car boot sale or second hand shop or put them on
    >> trademe. The record company doesn't care, they have made their outrageous
    >> margin at the first sale.
    >> The first buyer has turned trash into cash, the second has old music.
    >> Its definitely not amazing.

    > I see nothing wrong with that so long as the music the ripped is removed
    > from their iPod when then no longer own the physical medium it came on.
    >
    > Otherwise people could buy a CD, rip it, sell the CD and keep the ripped
    > files.

    Why ?
    You don't get a refund if you buy an iTunes album of a CD you already own.

    victor, Dec 1, 2011
  18. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 2/12/2011 11:49 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> I see nothing wrong with that so long as the music the ripped is removed
    >>> from their iPod when then no longer own the physical medium it came on.
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise people could buy a CD, rip it, sell the CD and keep the ripped
    >>> files.

    >> Why ?

    > One person could buy a CD, rip it and give the CD to someone else. They do
    > the same and after a while you have a thousand people enjoying the content
    > of the CD without actually having purchased a license to have that content.
    >
    >> You don't get a refund if you buy an iTunes album of a CD you already own.

    Or they might enjoy the CD and buy themselves a copy on iTunes, or buy
    other content from the same artist.
    The process of ripping and transfer takes them through online store
    software. I often buy itunes versions of vinyl I used to have, prompted
    by hearing something else in my collection.

    victor, Dec 1, 2011
  19. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <jb8tgt$mme$>, victor <> wrote:

    > On 2/12/2011 9:42 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > > victor wrote:

    > >> Here's how it goes Al.
    > >> They buy a CD because they like the music.
    > >> They rip it to itunes because they want it on their ipod.
    > >> At some point years after they stop listening to it and everyone has
    > >> moved on the the next fashionable crap they stick their old CDs in a bag
    > >> and take them to a car boot sale or second hand shop or put them on
    > >> trademe. The record company doesn't care, they have made their outrageous
    > >> margin at the first sale.
    > >> The first buyer has turned trash into cash, the second has old music.
    > >> Its definitely not amazing.

    > > I see nothing wrong with that so long as the music the ripped is removed
    > > from their iPod when then no longer own the physical medium it came on.
    > >
    > > Otherwise people could buy a CD, rip it, sell the CD and keep the ripped
    > > files.

    > Why ?
    > You don't get a refund if you buy an iTunes album of a CD you already own.

    Nope, but the new iCloud service does mean you can get a legal version of
    a song you've copied (when paying an optional annual fee).

    Your Name, Dec 2, 2011
  20. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <jb91q8$vb$>, victor <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Or they might enjoy the CD and buy themselves a copy on iTunes ...

    That's the same silly excuse many people use in the past (and still do)
    for copying computers games, taping to casttet tapes, etc. - the old "I'm
    trying it", but the reality is that most of them never buy it.

    The other silly excuse is that it's too expensive to buy, but even with
    iTunes' cheap prices, people are still pirating copyrighted material.

    It's largely simple greed and selfishness - the old "why should I pay for
    it when I get steal it for free". :-(

    Your Name, Dec 2, 2011