NEWS: Sony Develops New Close Proximity Wireless Transfer Technology "TransferJet"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Navas, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    "TransferJet is an extremely simple wireless technology which eliminates
    the need for complex setup and operation. For example, just touching a
    TV with a digital camera enables photos to be instantaneously displayed
    on the TV screen. Alternatively, downloaded music content can be easily
    enjoyed by touching a mobile phone to a portable audio player.
    TransferJet can be used as a Universal Interface among a wide variety of
    consumer electronics devices."

    Central Frequency 4.48 GHz

    Transmission Power -70dBm/MHz or less (average power)
    Corresponds with low intensity radio wave regulations in Japan, and with
    local regulations in respective overseas regions.

    Transmission Rate 560Mbps (Max.) / effective 375Mbps
    It is capable of selecting the appropriate transmission rate depending
    on the wireless environment.

    Communication Distance Within 3cm

    MORE

    Sony press release:
    <http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200801/08-002E/index.html>

    CES 2008 Video: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJtGHWjYko>

    Comments: <http://www.everythingusb.com/sony-transferjet-14050.html>
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080107-sonys-transferjet-to-take-on-bluetooth.html>

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
    John Navas, Jan 15, 2008

  2. In message <>, John Navas
    <> writes
    >"TransferJet is an extremely simple wireless technology which eliminates
    >the need for complex setup and operation.

    It's the next big thing, short-range high-speed wireless data transfer
    in consumer electronics. You'll see quite a few manufacturers releasing
    press blurbs like this over the next year or two. They're all going to
    be vapourware, or at best locked-in proprietary designs (Sony
    MemoryStick anyone?)

    There's a working party currently trying to nail down a standard for
    wireless USB connection, a high-speed data transfer system that can
    reach about 3 metres or so between devices. This will replace Bluetooth
    eventually for a lot of applications, being a lot faster and smarter too
    wrt addressing, power consumption etc. Like existing USB it's really
    meant for permanent or semi-permanent connections between devices
    (computer --> keyboard, for example).

    Another sort of new wireless app is the close-proximity data transfer
    system of the sort that Sony has announced, where the devices are only a
    few centimetres apart, and connection/disconnection is triggered by
    proximity -- move the device close to its "partner" and they
    automatically handshake to make the data connection (camera --> printer,
    for example). This is further away than wireless USB and still in the
    BetaMax-style proprietary stage of development. Take any press releases
    about this particular sort of technology with a pinch of salt until you
    see a real industry-wide standard being announced.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
    Robert Sneddon, Jan 15, 2008

  3. John Navas

    Paul Allen Guest

    Re: NEWS: Sony Develops New Close Proximity Wireless TransferTechnology "TransferJet"

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 03:10:12 GMT
    John Navas <> wrote:

    > "TransferJet is an extremely simple wireless technology ...

    Yup. Here's the slashdot thread on the topic:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/14/0142222

    Can you say, "Sony never saw a standard that they didn't think they
    could do better in a proprietary way?" I thought you could.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Jan 15, 2008