    express)" reading an unknown response was received in response to a request
    for information from the news server " and then the relevant servers name".
    "can any body advice please.
    mike boddy, Dec 17, 2003

  2. mike boddy

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:01:33 -0000, "mike boddy" <>
    wrote:

    >I am a new user to tiscali broadband and reasonably new to computers,I have
    >been trying to subscribe to new "news servers" ie:-corp.supernews.com
    >,news.theplanet.net , news.giganews.com , but to no evail , every time I
    >click to download the relevant news group I get this pop up stopper (outlook
    >express)" reading an unknown response was received in response to a request
    >for information from the news server " and then the relevant servers name".
    >"can any body advice please.

    Most newsservers are not free. The one provided by your IP is.

    Here's a small list to get started with:

    http://www.teranews.com/
    50 Mb/day limit for a $3.95 one time, setup fee.
    Fast, but headers count against the 50 Meg.

    http://www.Bubbanews.com
    The "Create a New Account" section looks identical to Teranews except they
    don't charge you the $3.95 setup fee. (But they want your Credit Card Info)
    Also has a 50 Mb/day limit.

    news.cis.dfn.de Text Only

    news4.euro.net No Posting, Some Binaries

    news.readfreenews.net Text only

    allnews.readfreenews.net Text only (Binaries not attached)

    biggulp.readfreenews.net Text and binaries
    Download of the headers is FAST, but download of the bodies is dog slooooow.
    Read the FAQ at http://www.readfreenews.net/
    http://www.readfreenews.net/biggulp-faq.html

    Newsgroup to search for more free ones:
    Unk, Dec 17, 2003

  3. mike boddy

    George Guest

    A good free news server is available at http://news.individual.net
    George, Dec 17, 2003
  4. mike boddy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:13:12 -0500, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    <snip>

    >news.cis.dfn.de Text Only

    Hi Unk. Sorry to hear about your scare. The above -- which gave
    me as good a reason as any to say hi -- is now news.individual.net .

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 17, 2003
  5. mike boddy

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:49:41 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:13:12 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Unk scrawled:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>news.cis.dfn.de Text Only

    >Hi Unk. Sorry to hear about your scare. The above -- which gave
    >me as good a reason as any to say hi -- is now news.individual.net .
    >
    ><snip>

    Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, and the update on news.cis.dfn.de
    I haven't used it in months, so I didn't know about the name change.
    Unk, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Unk wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:49:41 +0000, °Mike° <>
    > wrote:

    >>On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:13:12 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Unk scrawled:

    >><snip>

    >>>news.cis.dfn.de Text Only

    >>Hi Unk. Sorry to hear about your scare. The above -- which gave
    >>me as good a reason as any to say hi -- is now news.individual.net .

    >><snip>

    > Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, and the update on news.cis.dfn.de
    > I haven't used it in months, so I didn't know about the name change.

    You don't need to reconfigure. They started using news.individual.net
    a few months ago for new accounts, but the old ones still work fine
    with news.cis.dfn.de.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Boulder Pledge http://blinkynet.net/spag/boulder.html