    download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    > deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    > Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    > than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    > them an email without response.
    >
    > Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    > download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    news.software.readers

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Luke O'Malley

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:35:27 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    >deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    >Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    >than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    >them an email without response.
    >
    >Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    Grab-It .

    http://www.shemes.com/

    Good for binary, haven't tried using it for text reading.

    For text usenet, I use Forte Agent.

    Evan Platt, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Luke O'Malley

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:35:27 GMT, Luke O'Malley wrote:

    >I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    >deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    >Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    >than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    >them an email without response.
    >
    >Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    Newbin Pro or NewsLeecher (preferred)

    Forte v1.x / 2.x has issues with the placemt of [x/y] in subject names
    for binaries but it's a great for usenet text. Havent tried v3.x yet to
    see if the problem is cured.

    Me

    why?, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Luke O'Malley

    samuel Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote in

    > I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    > deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    > Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    > than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    > them an email without response.
    >
    > Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    > download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    http://www.newsreaders.com/

    look at others headers see what they use/like

    read news.software.readers

    samuel, Sep 9, 2005
  6. In article ,
    Blinky the Shark <> said:
    -->
    -->Luke O'Malley wrote:
    -->> I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    -->> deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    -->> Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    -->> than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I
    -->sent
    -->> them an email without response.
    -->>
    -->> Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    -->> download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    -->
    -->http://xnews.newsguy.com
    -->
    -->news.software.readers
    -->
    -->
    -->--
    -->Blinky Linux Registered User
    -->297263
    -->
    -->Killing All Posts from GG:
    -->http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    -->End Of The Good GG Archive GUI:
    -->http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    -->
    -->

    Thanks

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Luke O'Malley

    newbie Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    || I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    || deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    || Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    || than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    || them an email without response.
    || Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    || download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    || Goodwill,
    || Luke

    Soryy for intruding.
    But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader for
    text purpose.
    Thanks

    newbie, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Luke O'Malley

    Old Gringo Guest

    newbie wrote:
    > Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > || I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    > || deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    > || Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    > || than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    > || them an email without response.
    > || Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    > || download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    > || Goodwill,
    > || Luke
    >
    > Soryy for intruding.
    > But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader for
    > text purpose.
    > Thanks

    Perfectly Ok. you may want to get quote fix so it is a little more
    compliant.

    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, Sep 10, 2005
  11. Luke O'Malley

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > newbie wrote:

    >> But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader
    >> for text purpose.

    > Perfectly Ok. you may want to get quote fix so it is a little more
    > compliant.

    .... and be careful about using OE insecurely to handle your email,
    including and especially spam and the virms which get thru' filters.

    If you are going to use an inherently insecure relationship such as OE
    calling up IE for rendering, running under Win, it is very important
    that everything be configured with security in mind, including your own
    behaviors.

    All of those, OE/IE/Win are full of holes and securities which have been
    well studied and thoroughly exploited with a myriad of techniques.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 10, 2005
  12. newbie wrote:
    > Luke O'Malley wrote:
    >|| I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    >|| deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    >|| Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    >|| than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    >|| them an email without response.
    >|| Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >|| download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    >|| Goodwill,
    >|| Luke
    >
    > Soryy for intruding.
    > But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader for
    > text purpose.

    It's okay the way playing in the street and running with scissors is
    okay.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2005
  13. "newbie" <> after much thought,came up with this in

    > Soryy for intruding. But will somebody please tell is it
    > alright to use OE as newsreader for text purpose.

    No,it's not alright. Use a real newsreader(I use xNews) and a more
    secure e-mail client(I use Thunderbird).See my sig below for info.
    -max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Sep 10, 2005
  14. Luke O'Malley

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dftdnt$3gi$>, newbie <>
    wrote:

    > But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader for
    > text purpose.

    I am strongly against it.
    But to start with, make sure you turn off HTML content,
    send only in plain text,
    turn off the preview pane,
    install a good firewall,
    install a good antivirus and update it frequently,
    install a good anti-spyware program and update it regularly,
    and never respond to any kind of spam.

    Mitch, Sep 10, 2005
  15. Luke O'Malley

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <dftdnt$3gi$>, newbie <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as newsreader
    >> for text purpose.

    > I am strongly against it.
    > But to start with, make sure you turn off HTML content,
    > send only in plain text,
    > turn off the preview pane,
    > install a good firewall,
    > install a good antivirus and update it frequently,
    > install a good anti-spyware program and update it regularly,
    > and never respond to any kind of spam.

    Heck - never even OPEN spam. In fact, it's possible to prevent spam from
    even being downloaded into the PC - mailwasher.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005
  16. Luke O'Malley

    uh Clem... Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 9 Sep 2005 21:56:25
    GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide Blinky the Shark
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Luke O'Malley wrote:
    >> I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    >> deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    >> Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    >> than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    >> them an email without response.
    >>
    >> Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >> download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    >http://xnews.newsguy.com
    >
    >news.software.readers

    FYI, I tried a few of the mirrors and none worked.
    I took the zip from dude.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    uh Clem..., Sep 10, 2005
  17. In article dftdnt$3gi$,
    "newbie" <> said:
    -->
    -->Luke O'Malley wrote:
    -->|| I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a
    -->great
    -->|| deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    -->|| Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download
    -->more
    -->|| than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I
    -->sent
    -->|| them an email without response.
    -->||
    -->|| Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that
    -->can
    -->|| download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    -->||
    -->|| Goodwill,
    -->|| Luke
    -->
    -->Soryy for intruding.
    --> But will somebody please tell is it alright to use OE as
    -->newsreader for
    -->text purpose.
    -->Thanks
    -->
    -->
    -->
    -->

    I've had no problems with it.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Sep 10, 2005
  18. Luke O'Malley

    Miles Ahead Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?

    For large binary downloads I've been using PowerGrab for years.
    The latest release(2.6 RC 1) is very stable:
    http://oslab.snu.ac.kr/~soseo/pds/POWER-GRAB-2002-v2_6-RC1.ZIP

    The main drawbacks to the program are:

    When first downloading complete headers from a large group on a large
    binary server, like GigaNews, it takes a long time to sort the
    headers. Best to do this when you can let the machine sit for several
    hours, like while you're asleep. :)

    Also in the Options Toggles Tab, you have to check "disable LISTGROUP
    on group scans" or it will verify when downloading new headers and
    slow things down. Binary groups weren't so huge when the thing was
    first written so the author added that option to bypass the
    bottleneck.

    Also large newsgroup header sorts can make the Windows shell "freeze
    frame" for a few seconds during the sorts and merges. But downloading
    the actual bodies is no unreasonable drain on the system. Even when
    downloading at full bandwidth I still have enough slack in the network
    to surf with my web browser and read nntp news etc..

    Settings are for one server only. To me this isn't a big deal as I
    just have an install in a different folder for each server. It may
    be better anyway since the same binary groups aren't found on
    every server.

    Other than these quirks, on the plus side:

    You can open 8 concurrent connections

    It downloads as fast as your bandwidth and the server will
    allow, or you can set a speed maximum.

    You can set it to autosave the job queue every so often
    so that a broken connection or stopping the download and closing the
    program doesn't discard your work. Download can resume starting
    at the last complete section downloaded.

    I've used PowerGrab to download very large binaries and it rarely
    crashes and I've not had problems with corrupted files due to the
    application.

    It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good for a free binary nntp
    client. Plus the author is moving to make it open source so I
    expect eventually many of the quirks will be fixed by contributing
    programmers. Most likely it will end up on Sourceforge.

    Miles Ahead, Sep 11, 2005
  19. In article ,
    Miles Ahead <> said:
    -->
    -->On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:35:27 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    --><> wrote:
    -->
[...]

    Souds overly complicated for my use. I download MPs and Karaoke
    files only.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Sep 16, 2005
  20. Luke O'Malley

    Mark Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have been using Procomm as a news reader. It seems to a great
    >deal of trouble downloading from the servers. I am now trying
    >Newsgrabber. I cannot figure out how to get it to download more
    >than two files in a row . . . besides crashing regularly. I sent
    >them an email without response.
    >
    >Would someone please direct me to a reliable newsreader that can
    >download binary files . . . and more than two in a row?
    >
    >Goodwill,
    >Luke

    AGENT is best for text based newreading
    Newsbin is best for binary