    alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me :-(

    Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

    thanks in advance!

    the niner nation, Jan 11, 2005

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    11 Jan 2005 00:50:04 -0000, "the niner nation"
    <> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?
    >
    >I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital pics on the
    >alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me :-(

    A decent free newsreader would be Free Agent. If you like downloading,
    I have a friend who swears by Newsbin Pro, but it's not free.

    >Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

    All news servers, especially those setup for use by your ISP, restrict
    the number of newsgroups they carry simply because of the sheer volume
    of newsgroups. After all, there are over 100,000 newsgroups now (which
    I guess that over half of them are empty or "vanity groups) and most
    servers adminned by your local ISP don't have the room to carry them
    all, especially binary groups. If you are looking for a news server
    that carries just about everything under the sun, you'll have to pay
    extra for a premium server. The costs vary.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 11, 2005

  3. the niner nation

    samuel Guest

    "the niner nation" <> wrote
    in news:crv7r0$io2$:

    > Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?

    read this group news.software.readers

    samuel, Jan 11, 2005
  4. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:50:04 -0000, "the niner nation"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?
    >
    >I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital pics on the
    >alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me :-(
    >

    >Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???
    >
    >thanks in advance!

    http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?

    Governor Swill, Jan 11, 2005
  5. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:09:22 -0500, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    <> wrote:

    >>Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

    >All news servers, especially those setup for use by your ISP, restrict
    >the number of newsgroups they carry simply because of the sheer volume
    >of newsgroups. After all, there are over 100,000 newsgroups now (which
    >I guess that over half of them are empty or "vanity groups) and most
    >servers adminned by your local ISP don't have the room to carry them
    >all, especially binary groups. If you are looking for a news server
    >that carries just about everything under the sun, you'll have to pay
    >extra for a premium server. The costs vary

    http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php also offers news service.
    You can get it for as little as $2.95 a month. That gets you 5G a
    month at reasonable speed. They have more newsgroups and retain
    binaries up to two weeks. Most isps only allot enough space to retain
    binaries for a few days at best and many either don't allow binary
    postings on their servers or don't offer usenet at all.

    If you're a speed freak, try http://giganews.com/ It's pricey but
    noticeably faster. You should still use Agent (cheap) or Free Agent
    for usenet though. It automatically reassembles partial postings and
    flags posts that are incomplete. It fully supports yEnc encoded files
    too.

    TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you can
    go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a lossless
    audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on steroids.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 11, 2005
  6. On 11 Jan 2005, Governor Swill scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip>
    > TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you
    > can go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a
    > lossless audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on
    > steroids.
    >
    > Swill

    Where's "here"?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 11, 2005
  7. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:43:36 -0600, The Old Sourdough <sameas@above>
    wrote:

    >> TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you
    >> can go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a
    >> lossless audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on
    >> steroids.
    >>
    >> Swill

    >Where's "here"?

    Sorry. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/