    --
    Many thanks,
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Mar 1, 2006

  2. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    > I have a Tosh 440CDT 64MByte laptop currently running Win98SE +
    > Thuderbird + MSIE. Plus Zone Alarm Plus AVG + NeswBin Pro.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a combination of OS and applications that would do
    > the same job on that machine, only better?

    If you have some ways to defend your insecurities with that OS, which
    /is/ possible/ and if you can 'function' for all of the websites you use
    without IE and if you can be happy without IE's integration with your
    Windows explorer, that is, if you could be happy with the old W95
    Windows explorer, you could removed IE from the system altogether, a la
    LitePC the old 98lite and use Opera or FireFox for your browser.
    LitePC is here http://www.litepc.com/ 98lite is our unique system
    utility to customize and tweak Windows9x for performance

    Without IE, your machine would use its 64 megs of ram more efficiently;
    without IE your browsing experience would be more secure.

    If you try to use a linux system with 64 megs of ram and you are
    accustomed to your Windows familiar graphical interface, you are going
    to be disappointed. It is hard to get a good graphical linux to run on
    64 megs of ram because of the Xwindows problem.

    You would be better off with more ram so that you would have more
    latitude -- if you could 'find' some throwaway ram that someone isn't
    using anymore and could upgrade your machine. Somewhere I read the max
    the machine can handle is 144 meg and/but if you try to buy it 'retail'
    it is way too expensive - like an antique. There's something wrong with
    paying a lot of money for antique ram.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Palindrâ~»me wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Tosh 440CDT 64MByte laptop currently running Win98SE +
    >>Thuderbird + MSIE. Plus Zone Alarm Plus AVG + NeswBin Pro.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest a combination of OS and applications that would do
    >>the same job on that machine, only better?

    > If you have some ways to defend your insecurities with that OS, which
    > /is/ possible/ and if you can 'function' for all of the websites you use
    > without IE and if you can be happy without IE's integration with your
    > Windows explorer, that is, if you could be happy with the old W95
    > Windows explorer, you could removed IE from the system altogether, a la
    > LitePC the old 98lite and use Opera or FireFox for your browser.
    > LitePC is here http://www.litepc.com/ 98lite is our unique system
    > utility to customize and tweak Windows9x for performance
    >
    > Without IE, your machine would use its 64 megs of ram more efficiently;
    > without IE your browsing experience would be more secure.

    It isn't on a network, isn't used for anything much other than writing
    newsgroup posts and certainly not for accessing bank accounts, internet
    shopping, Paypal, etc. So the security isn't too great an issue.

    > If you try to use a linux system with 64 megs of ram and you are
    > accustomed to your Windows familiar graphical interface, you are going
    > to be disappointed. It is hard to get a good graphical linux to run on
    > 64 megs of ram because of the Xwindows problem.

    That was what I was wondering. I could maybe up it to 144 as I do have a
    128 SODIMM in another machine (that only acts as a firewall router with
    non-graphical interface, so could probably manage easily on 64/80).

    > You would be better off with more ram so that you would have more
    > latitude -- if you could 'find' some throwaway ram that someone isn't
    > using anymore and could upgrade your machine. Somewhere I read the max
    > the machine can handle is 144 meg and/but if you try to buy it 'retail'
    > it is way too expensive - like an antique. There's something wrong with
    > paying a lot of money for antique ram.

    Yep. The price of a replacement battery is more that was paid for this
    laptop. Crying shame, it is still working well. I hate throwing out
    stuff that isn't faulty.

    Thanks!
    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Mar 1, 2006
  4. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    > That was what I was wondering. I could maybe up it to 144 as I do
    > have a 128 SODIMM in another machine (that only acts as a firewall
    > router with non-graphical interface, so could probably manage easily
    > on 64/80).

    You could setup a serious linux firewall router machine with the 64 megs
    or even less.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 1, 2006
  5. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Palindr☻me wrote:

    BTW, your handle appears in funky ways depending on how the reader is
    configured to handle UTF-8.

    It might show up as a happyface above [or at least I can see it during
    my editing] where the ☻goes between the 'r' and 'm' -- or it might not,
    I don't know yet -- instead of an 'o' as in Palindrome.

    On my system without reconfiguring, it looks like

    Palindrâ~»me which has the ansi/ascii chars

    a circumflex
    similarity sign
    right double guillemet

    ... or on my system raw or in the header it looks like:

    ?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?

    Between the ? that is for UTF-8 encoding base64 then the b64

    The b64 becomes 80 97 108 105 110 100 114 226 152 187 109 101 in decimal
    ascii equivalents

    .... and you can see those 3 chars over 128 in there between 114 and 109

    Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 1, 2006
  6. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    That didn't work right.

    On my default system, your handle appears Palindr [a circuflex +
    similarity sign + right double guillement] me, where your replacement of
    'o' with the happyface symbol becomes 3 extended ascii.

    If I enable international characters or other strategies for getting
    unicode functionality, I can see and edit Palindr [happyface symbol] me

    > Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.

    That was the point I was trying to make, but it didn't work right. When
    I put in the extended ascii, those chars started morphing into more and
    different extended ascii chars.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Palindr☻me wrote:
    >
    > BTW, your handle appears in funky ways depending on how the reader is
    > configured to handle UTF-8.

    <snip good stuff>
    > Many people are going to handle the ascii/s over 128 in variable ways.

    I was initially only using a private newsgroup where I had to use UTF-8
    - a lot of the writing was math. It didn't matter that I had a UTF-8
    handle when everything was in unicode and I didn't know any better than
    not to use one.
    'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all these
    public groups. Whereas I can set the character set per group - I can't
    change the handle per group. As I didn't want to use a different handle
    in the private group as that would screw up auditing and didn't want to
    have to change it for every "other" post.. I have kept it.

    I keep hoping that usenet, etc becomes unicode compliant so that
    multi-byte chars are handled consistently, then the problem will disappear..

    --
    Sue

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Mar 1, 2006
  8. =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    > I was initially only using a private newsgroup

    > 'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all
    > these public groups.

    Ha and wow -- there's a culture shock.

    Going from peaceful civilized, 'directed' discourse on some nice quiet
    little private newsserver all the way over to someplace like 24h which
    is all over the map.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Palindrâ~»me wrote:
    >

    >>I was initially only using a private newsgroup

    >> 'Course then I discovered, a year or so ago, that there were all
    >>these public groups.

    > Ha and wow -- there's a culture shock.
    >
    > Going from peaceful civilized, 'directed' discourse on some nice quiet
    > little private newsserver all the way over to someplace like 24h which
    > is all over the map.

    LOL, too true...I still don't know which way is up...

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Mar 2, 2006