news photos of the year (PoTY) question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    See:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty>

    Is it just me, or are there a lot of really boring photos in this set
    of photos from Reuters? I thought that less than 25% of these photos
    were worthy of "photo of the year" status. Compare with:

    <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2006/12/01/yipgallery.DTL>

    IMHO, for a photo to be included in a "photo of the year" collection,
    it should be either an exceptional image, an image of an exceptional
    and rare event, or a really good image of a moderately unusual event.
    I'm surprised at how many undistinguished photos there are in the
    Reuters set, photos I'd describe as a dime a dozen.

    Here is an ordinary photo of a politician at a photo-op:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061219/ids_photos_wl/r613265800.jpg>

    Emergency response workers at an emergency:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061219/ids_photos_wl/r4139300967.jpg>

    Politicians in another routine setting:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061219/ids_photos_wl/r2682484048.jpg>

    Mourners following a news conference:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061219/ids_photos_wl/r1288371930.jpg>

    Students hug after memorial:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061218/ids_photos_wl/r1097041978.jpg>

    Athlete kisses trophy:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061218/ids_photos_sp/r3766015633.jpg>

    Athlete celebrates win:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061218/ids_photos_sp/r4237218266.jpg>

    People fleeing disaster:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061218/ids_photos_wl/r1710200479.jpg>

    Big city in a snow storm:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/121106reuterspoty/im:/061219/ids_photos_wl/r2480885626.jpg>

    Can someone explain what makes any of these images worthy of being a
    "photo of the year"? For instance, I feel that last shot is nowhere
    near as intersting or PoTY worthy as these photos of Denver from last
    night:

    <http://news.yahoo.com/photo/061221/480/cobr11012210610>
    <http://news.yahoo.com/photo/061221/480/cobr11312210611>

    jc