    Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
    repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
    actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.
    techshare, Jul 14, 2003

  2. techshare

    Dale Guest

    Check Yahoo Groups, I belive I've seen some there.

    Dale, Jul 14, 2003

  3. techshare

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "techshare"
    <> wrote:

    > Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
    > repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
    > actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.

    What do you need techshare?
    Ghost, Jul 15, 2003
  4. techshare

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "techshare"
    <> wrote:

    > I don't "need" anything in particular. Really just looking for conversation
    > with other people running similar businesses.
    > "Ghost" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, "techshare"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
    > > > repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
    > > > actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.

    > > What do you need techshare?

    I have a small PC service center... apluscomputer.biz 3 employees at the
    moment...

    Things are really slow right now, how about you???
    Ghost, Jul 15, 2003
  5. techshare

    Guest

    Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
    both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
    own businnes.

    Thanks ,

    Gary
    , Jul 15, 2003
  6. techshare

    techshare Guest

    Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good reasons for
    this that are too numerous to list in this post.

    techshare, Jul 15, 2003
  7. techshare

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
    > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
    > own businnes.
    >
    > Thanks ,
    >
    > Gary

    The average rate in my area is $50 an hour bench time. $75 an hour for
    service calls.

    The best way to determine things for your area is to call all the other
    shops in your area and ask their rates. That is what I did, and then I
    set my rates to right in the middle.

    Good luck.
    Ghost, Jul 16, 2003
  8. techshare

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "techshare"
    <> wrote:

    > Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good reasons for
    > this that are too numerous to list in this post.
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
    > > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
    > > own businnes.
    > >
    > > Thanks ,
    > >
    > > Gary

    Actually, I am the opposite- for several reasons.

    First, I am a business, and I am sick of paying higher prices for the same
    product or service just because I am a business. Why should I have to pay
    a higher rate for things like a telephone line than for my residential
    line. Since I do not like being treated this way, I will not treat my
    clients this way.

    Plus, service calls for residences is more a convenience to the customer.
    Well, then the customer can pay for that convenience. For businesses, you
    cannot just pick up a network and bring it in to the shop- therefore a
    service call is more a requirement than a convenience.

    Now, since I live in an area where older people are the norm, I also
    realize that many of the customers do not know who to plug all the parts
    in, or they just cannot pick up heavy computers or whatever. So, this
    being the case, I also offer a pickup and delivery service. My
    technicians will come to the house, unplug everything, and bring in what
    we need. After the repairs are completed, then one of the techs will
    bring it all back, plug it all in, and turn it on for you.

    Why dont I want to do home service calls? Well, first of all, the
    computers are usually relegated to some dark, dank corner of a room
    somewhere with poor lighting, cheap wobbly desks with no room to work,
    with an uncomfortable kitchen chair to sit on. As I mentioned before,
    most of the population here is elderly so they generally cannot afford to
    run the AC, so the homes are very hot. So here I sit, sweating over some
    nasty little cobwebbed desk, with the cabling a total mess under the desk,
    and all the time the home-owner wont even offer you a glass of water.
    Then, after being on site for several hours doing whatever needs to be
    done, the customer then balks at the bill because for a good amount of
    time I might have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for an OS to load or
    waiting to DL a 20MB driver set of their 33.6k modem. They do not seem to
    feel like they need to pay me for time just sitting around.

    Now, while I am on site, I cannot take care of any other business like
    phone calls, quotes, working on multiple computers at once, etc. So, for
    the most part, you really cannot make effective use of your time on a
    residential service call.
    Ghost, Jul 16, 2003
  9. techshare

    Gaz Guest

    "Ghost" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "techshare"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > I have a display ad, and it is (without being overly egotistical) the
    > nicest looking ad in the category. It really stands out from the other
    > ads. After all, it is an advertisement- and its whole purpose is to make
    > you stand out from the others.

    Could you email me a copy of your advertisement, looking for inspiration for
    a yellow pages ad here in the uk -

    Gaz
    Gaz, Jul 16, 2003
  10. techshare

    BigPhishee Guest

    (Ghost) wrote in news:user-1507032123560001@1.0.0.3:

    > In article <>, "techshare"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good
    >> reasons for this that are too numerous to list in this post.
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
    >> > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting
    >> > my own businnes.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks ,
    >> >
    >> > Gary

    > Actually, I am the opposite- for several reasons.
    >
    > First, I am a business, and I am sick of paying higher prices for the
    > same product or service just because I am a business. Why should I have
    > to pay a higher rate for things like a telephone line than for my
    > residential line. Since I do not like being treated this way, I will
    > not treat my clients this way.
    >
    > Plus, service calls for residences is more a convenience to the
    > customer. Well, then the customer can pay for that convenience. For
    > businesses, you cannot just pick up a network and bring it in to the
    > shop- therefore a service call is more a requirement than a convenience.
    >
    > Now, since I live in an area where older people are the norm, I also
    > realize that many of the customers do not know who to plug all the parts
    > in, or they just cannot pick up heavy computers or whatever. So, this
    > being the case, I also offer a pickup and delivery service. My
    > technicians will come to the house, unplug everything, and bring in what
    > we need. After the repairs are completed, then one of the techs will
    > bring it all back, plug it all in, and turn it on for you.
    >
    > Why dont I want to do home service calls? Well, first of all, the
    > computers are usually relegated to some dark, dank corner of a room
    > somewhere with poor lighting, cheap wobbly desks with no room to work,
    > with an uncomfortable kitchen chair to sit on. As I mentioned before,
    > most of the population here is elderly so they generally cannot afford
    > to run the AC, so the homes are very hot. So here I sit, sweating over
    > some nasty little cobwebbed desk, with the cabling a total mess under
    > the desk, and all the time the home-owner wont even offer you a glass of
    > water. Then, after being on site for several hours doing whatever needs
    > to be done, the customer then balks at the bill because for a good
    > amount of time I might have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for an OS
    > to load or waiting to DL a 20MB driver set of their 33.6k modem. They
    > do not seem to feel like they need to pay me for time just sitting
    > around.
    >
    > Now, while I am on site, I cannot take care of any other business like
    > phone calls, quotes, working on multiple computers at once, etc. So,
    > for the most part, you really cannot make effective use of your time on
    > a residential service call.

    Ghost,
    Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. Now that I think about it, I have to
    agree with you. I have had too many experiences matching what you have
    described. As I am currently working to start my own business, I will
    definitely have to keep this in mind.
    Thanks!
    BigPhishee, Jul 26, 2005
  11. techshare

    Captain Lon Guest

    havinfun69 wrote: >> > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
    >> > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting
    >> > my own businnes.

    Well, it really doesn't matter what WE charge for our services, as we are
    not in your market. When determining what YOU should charge for your
    services you must be in line with YOUR market. Call around and find out
    what others are charging for their services so you get an idea of what YOUR
    market can bear. And don't fall for: "And then charge less than everyone
    else." Why would you charge less? Because you are not as good? Because
    you are trying to bring down everyone else's standard of living? Perhaps
    you should find a different line of work, then. Keep your prices in line
    with everyone else, and perhaps even charge more. Remember, the reason
    people get what they want is because they have the balls to ask for it.

    Oh, it's $68 per hour here. That puts me right in the middle of my market's
    prices.

    Good luck to ya, mate.

    --
    Captain Lon

    A good sailor does not need good luck or a boat!

    Captain Lon, Jul 26, 2005
  12. techshare

    Captain Lon Guest

    Hey smackedass,

    Your points are well taken. However, in my opinion, and it is an opinion
    based on being in business for myself for 20 years (not to say it is better
    than yours, however) if you base your business on being the cheapest guy in
    town, then you are going to get yourself into trouble. All you will attract
    is cheap customers. Peeps that don't want to spend money. Peeps that don't
    have money to spend. And your customer base will leave you just as soon as
    someone else in town decides they can do it for less than you can.

    You can have those kinds of customers, I don't want to build my business
    around them.

    Now that I am in the computer business, I have decided to work my way up to
    the high end of the market. But I cannot do this all at once. I am now
    priced in the mid range of my market. I lose quite a bit of work because
    some people think I charge too much. I also get a fair amount of work
    because I am charging less than some others are. Once I have my foot in the
    door and can prove how good I am, then I can raise my prices annually,
    eventually moving myself up to the high end of this business.

    At least that is my business model. Not to say that this is the only way it
    can work.

    However, if you base your business on being the K-Mart of computers, then
    that is the way people will view you. There is an entire segment of the
    market that WANTS to spend money, they want quality, great service, great
    warranty, etc. If you can give it, then charge for it. There are enough
    people willing to pay, at least in my market. That's my point.

    Captain Lon, Jul 27, 2005