News: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 12, 2006.

  1. "The next version of Microsoft Virtual Server will NOT support 64 bit
    Virtual Machines, so even if your run Virtual Server x64 edition on 64bit
    hardware, you can't run 64 bit guests.

    At IT Forum last November, when I asked about this, it was still unclear. In
    December I got contractive reports on the issue, but last week Microsoft
    confirmed to me, that current plans do not include 64 bit guest support.

    This is a disappointment and keeps Vmware a step ahead, still.

    v Next will support the new Intel VT and AMD Pacific CPU's, which make use
    of a new ring in the CPU architecture. This ring will boost performance
    because difficult tasks in software vitalization will be done by the new
    CPU's."

    Read the rest here
    http://bink.nu/Article6158.bink

    Makes sense especially with support for the Virtualization Technologies in
    AMDs and Intels next generation processors. I would bet Guest support for 64
    bit Windows being a major feature of the next version of Virtual PC. What do
    you think?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 12, 2006

  2. As usual, agree with you on the need. I have two test machines running vmware
    workstation and have used 32 bit vm's with great success and few problems.
    Then started to use 64 bit guests, and voila, both CPUs do not have the
    emulation structure needed by vmware to work. (FX-55 and ath 64 3500+).
    Microsoft needs to provide 64 bit guests asap. Jack

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=, Feb 13, 2006

  3. Re: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

    I doubt it will ever be in Virtual PC, but then, I think VPC is going away.
    If I had to guess, this will not show up in Virtual Server until the LH time
    frame, whatever that means.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Steve Jain Guest

    Re: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:36:06 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >I doubt it will ever be in Virtual PC, but then, I think VPC is going away.
    >If I had to guess, this will not show up in Virtual Server until the LH time
    >frame, whatever that means.

    I think a derivation of VPC will end up in a desktop OS, similar to
    how Virtual Server will end up embedded in the server OS.

    Might as well, now that VM Ware started giving away their software.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
    Steve Jain, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Re: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

    Good point, you may be right. Though there is much less justification for
    desktop software as compared to server. Still, with VMWare giving it away,
    no one can really complain about MS including it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Steve Jain Guest

    Re: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:12:34 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Good point, you may be right. Though there is much less justification for
    >desktop software as compared to server. Still, with VMWare giving it away,
    >no one can really complain about MS including it.

    I think some government needs to sue VM Ware for using their virtual
    monopoly on the virtual machine market to drive the little VM makers
    out of the biz. You can bet if MS would have started giving away VS
    for free, there'd been a lawsuit in the works.

    Steve Jain, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Re: Next Version Virtual Server No Gues Support

    Yes. But let's look at the realities. VMWare is NOT MS. MS, for better or
    worse, is the colossus astride the earth, and VMWare is a single product,
    niche company. When MS does something to gain market share, it's a bit
    different than when a VMWare does.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64