News: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 29, 2006.

  1. "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
    Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
    Windows simultaneously.

    The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
    support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
    Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
    scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft representative
    confirmed the slip on Tuesday."

    Read the rest here:

    http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054941.html?part=rss&tag=6054941&subj=news

    I use VM Ware anyway. :)

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 29, 2006

  2. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with an
    Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more detail.
    Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. We'll
    see.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    Ok, looking forward to it.

    "Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. "
    Take a risk. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 29, 2006
  4. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    Oh, I'll _write_ it. We'll see what they cut. It's not at all the same as a
    book - I can, and do, say anything I want in the books. If I think a MS
    product is a bad choice, but there's a good third party solution? I just say
    exactly that. I'm still telling readers that Shavlik is a better way to
    manage security updates on their network, even though WSUS is out. But on
    the books, I own the copyright. Columns are not the same at all, I'm afraid.

    IAC, I'm very unlikely to say anything seriously negative about either
    product - I like them both, and use both. And both have limitations and
    annoyances.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    If you can route a cable from line-out on the new machine to line-in on the
    64 bit machine - needs available line-in on the 64 bit - you should share
    the speakers OK.

    Just be careful of applications on the 64 bit muting the line-in when you
    don't want them to.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 29, 2006
  6. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:59:01 +0200, Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    <> wrote:

    > "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
    > Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
    > Windows simultaneously.

    It was inevitable, as VMWare already has these features, so launching a
    product update without them, would have been commercial suicide...

    Mark Gillespie, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    Tony Sperling, Mar 29, 2006
  8. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    Wow, thanks! This, of course, is the way to do it. Having immersed myself in
    network thinking, I simply had to make it more difficult than it was. I have
    an Audigy 2 on the 64bit and currently a very old 'Addonics' card with a
    Yamaha chip on the new one - I put it in for the game connector - but I'm
    sure I will eventually be using the more modern sound from the chipset
    (AC97, I think).

    This 'muting' business - if I enable everything I need in the Mixer, I
    shouldn't expect any random interference, or?

    Sounds O.K. to you?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 29, 2006
  9. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    Some multimedia applications adjust the mixer settings and may not restore
    them on exit.
    I have known some just mute line-in on exit.

    If sound dies, check the mixer settings to find out if something has
    changed.
    If your multimedia applications are well-behaved you shouldn't have
    problems.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 29, 2006
  10. Re: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

    O.K. - great thing to know if it hits you.

    Thanks, Dominic!

    Tony Sperling, Mar 30, 2006