    (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org) except for username
    and password, which are unique to the latter respective servers. I don't
    really need this server, but I want to find out what I am doing wrong.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 21, 2010

  2. Emrys Davies

    Dan C Guest

    Re:

    On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:35:09 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

    > I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM.
    >
    > Do I need a special user name and password to add a newsgroup account
    > with the above newsreader? Whatever I do at the moment I get 'The
    > server could not be found' when I get to the stage of trying to download
    > newsgroups. My setup appears to be the same as other working
    > newsreaders (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org) except
    > for username and password, which are unique to the latter respective
    > servers. I don't really need this server, but I want to find out what I
    > am doing wrong.

    I'd say what you're doing wrong is right there on the first line of your
    post:

    "I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM."

    LOL!

    Get a fucking Clue.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he sold Eyore to the glue factory.

    Dan C, Feb 21, 2010

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:35:09 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:
    >
    >> I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM.
    >>
    >> Do I need a special user name and password to add a newsgroup account
    >> with the above newsreader? Whatever I do at the moment I get 'The
    >> server could not be found' when I get to the stage of trying to download
    >> newsgroups. My setup appears to be the same as other working
    >> newsreaders (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org) except
    >> for username and password, which are unique to the latter respective
    >> servers. I don't really need this server, but I want to find out what I
    >> am doing wrong.

    > I'd say what you're doing wrong is right there on the first line of your
    > post:
    >
    > "I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM."
    >
    > LOL!

    Give me a clue. I cannot see it. Except that I have Win7 Home Premium.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010
  4. Emrys Davies

    chuckcar Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in

    > I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM.
    >
    > Do I need a special user name and password to add a newsgroup account
    > with the above newsreader? Whatever I do at the moment I get 'The
    > server could not be found' when I get to the stage of trying to
    > download newsgroups. My setup appears to be the same as other working
    > newsreaders (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org)
    > except for username and password, which are unique to the latter
    > respective servers. I don't really need this server, but I want to
    > find out what I am doing wrong.

    The *actual* full message you get is what?

    You mention a email/news program - Windows mail and then two servers you *say*
    work, but then you mention the microsoft server. I just created a new server in
    my news programs and got the 1772 groups no problem. I would guess it's a DNS problem
    with your ISP - it happens quite a bit. I don't use mine any more and haven't for
    years.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 22, 2010
  5. Emrys Davies

    Whiskers Guest

    Re:

    On 2010-02-21, Emrys Davies <> wrote:
    > I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM.
    >
    > Do I need a special user name and password to add a newsgroup account with
    > the above newsreader? Whatever I do at the moment I get 'The server could
    > not be found' when I get to the stage of trying to download newsgroups.

    [...]

    You haven't said *precisely* what you are entering as the address of the
    server; I suspect that is where the error arises.

    It appears that no login or athentication is needed to use that server,
    and the newsgroup concerned is present and active if this session is any
    guide:

    $ telnet msnews.microsoft.com nntp
    Trying 207.46.248.16...
    Connected to msnews.microsoft.com (207.46.248.16).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.3959 Version: 6.0.3790.3959 Posting Allowed
    GROUP microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    211 5827 485526 493121 microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    HEAD 493121
    221 493121 <>
    From: "Bruce Hagen" <>
    Subject: Re: Windows Live Menu and options
    Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:28:33 -0800
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    ..
    QUIT
    205 closing connection - goodbye!
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    $

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 22, 2010
  6. Emrys Davies

    Dan C Guest

    Re:

    On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:00:47 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

    > "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:35:09 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need a special user name and password to add a newsgroup account
    >>> with the above newsreader? Whatever I do at the moment I get 'The
    >>> server could not be found' when I get to the stage of trying to
    >>> download newsgroups. My setup appears to be the same as other working
    >>> newsreaders (news.individual.net and news.eternal-september.org)
    >>> except for username and password, which are unique to the latter
    >>> respective servers. I don't really need this server, but I want to
    >>> find out what I am doing wrong.

    >> I'd say what you're doing wrong is right there on the first line of
    >> your post:
    >>
    >> "I have Win7 Premium 64 bit and WLM."
    >>
    >> LOL!

    > Give me a clue. I cannot see it. Except that I have Win7 Home Premium.

    Windows7 sucks dick on horseback. Just like every other version of
    windoze ever produced. Dump that bullshit and install Linux, and start
    enjoying your computer again.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he scrambled his partition table.

    Dan C, Feb 22, 2010
  7. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:38:04 +0000, ~BD~
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try posting your query here: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
    >>>
    >>> Before posting there, try to be more clear about the question(s) you'd
    >>> like answering!

    >> <Looks at subject.>
    >> <Looks at BD>
    >>
    >> I'd say the OP was pretty clear about their question.

    > OK - maybe I was tired!
    >
    > The answer is obviously *no* - one does *not* need a Username/password to
    > access *any* group using msnews.micrsoft.com
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Now you are being helpful and thanks. My mistake was to use
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop when
    adding a newsgroup account rather than msnews.microsoft.com. The latter
    works perfectly, but I prefer the all enveloping news.individual.net. I
    thought of letting my wife use the msnews.microsoft.com account but it is
    quite restrictive in its provision of news groups and I will probably get
    another news.individual.net account for her. It is 10 euro per year per
    account and very effective.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010
  8. "Emrys Davies" <> via

    > "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> <Looks at subject.>
    >>> <Looks at BD>
    >>>
    >>> I'd say the OP was pretty clear about their question.

    >> OK - maybe I was tired!
    >>
    >> The answer is obviously *no* - one does *not* need a Username/password
    >> to access *any* group using msnews.micrsoft.com
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave

    > Now you are being helpful and thanks. My mistake was to use
    > when adding a newsgroup account rather than msnews.microsoft.com.
    > The latter works perfectly, but I prefer the all enveloping
    > news.individual.net. I thought of letting my wife use the
    > msnews.microsoft.com account but it is quite restrictive in its
    > provision of news groups and I will probably get another
    > news.individual.net account for her. It is 10 euro per
    > year per account and very effective.

    msnews.microsoft.com are all big dull fat smelly poopieheds.

    Use Astranews... buy a once-off for ~10 pesos, [thats about
    600 burritos in Mexico away from the tourist towns[ but it
    will last you for decades if you only use text groups.
    They don't even charge you for downloading headers or
    updating newly added newsgroups.

    http://www.news.astraweb.com/

    Plus, you can access any number of their servers, like one for each
    member of your harem, if you like... and each one of these, you can
    clone as many times as you like, up to 50 connections, at once [with
    a proper newsreader].

    General Server: news.astraweb.com

    European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com

    US Server: us.news.astraweb.com

    Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080

    Secure Servers:

    ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563

    ssl-eu.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (European)

    ssl-us.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (US)

    Maximum Connections: 50 connections

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ;
    so... what are your other 2 wishes?

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 22, 2010
  9. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote in message news:Xns9D27786B13643BuckyGram@216.151.153.189...
    > "Emrys Davies" <> via
    >>
    >> "~BD~" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK - maybe I was tired!
    >>>
    >>> The answer is obviously *no* - one does *not* need a Username/password
    >>> to access *any* group using msnews.micrsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dave

    >> Now you are being helpful and thanks. My mistake was to use
    >> when adding a newsgroup account rather than msnews.microsoft.com.
    >> The latter works perfectly, but I prefer the all enveloping
    >> news.individual.net. I thought of letting my wife use the
    >> msnews.microsoft.com account but it is quite restrictive in its
    >> provision of news groups and I will probably get another
    >> news.individual.net account for her. It is 10 euro per
    >> year per account and very effective.

    > msnews.microsoft.com are all big dull fat smelly poopieheds.
    >
    > Use Astranews... buy a once-off for ~10 pesos, [thats about
    > 600 burritos in Mexico away from the tourist towns[ but it
    > will last you for decades if you only use text groups.
    > They don't even charge you for downloading headers or
    > updating newly added newsgroups.
    >
    > http://www.news.astraweb.com/
    >
    > Plus, you can access any number of their servers, like one for each
    > member of your harem, if you like... and each one of these, you can
    > clone as many times as you like, up to 50 connections, at once [with
    > a proper newsreader].
    >
    > General Server: news.astraweb.com
    >
    > European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com
    >
    > US Server: us.news.astraweb.com
    >
    > Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080
    >
    > Secure Servers:
    >
    > ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563
    >
    > ssl-eu.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (European)
    >
    > ssl-us.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (US)
    >
    > Maximum Connections: 50 connections
    >
    > --
    >
    > I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ;
    > so... what are your other 2 wishes?
    >
    > Repent! The end is near.... So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

    Thanks for going to all that trouble, but I think I will stick with
    new.individual.net at the moment as it does all what I need and I like it.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 22, 2010
  10. "Emrys Davies" <> via news::

    > "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote in message news:Xns9D27786B13643BuckyGram@216.151.153.189...
    >> "Emrys Davies" <> via
    >>>
    >>> "~BD~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now you are being helpful and thanks. My mistake was to use
    >>> when adding a newsgroup account rather than msnews.microsoft.com.
    >>> The latter works perfectly, but I prefer the all enveloping
    >>> news.individual.net. I thought of letting my wife use the
    >>> msnews.microsoft.com account but it is quite restrictive in its
    >>> provision of news groups and I will probably get another
    >>> news.individual.net account for her. It is 10 euro per
    >>> year per account and very effective.

    >> msnews.microsoft.com are all big dull fat smelly poopieheds.
    >>
    >> Use Astranews... buy a once-off for ~10 pesos, [thats about
    >> 600 burritos in Mexico away from the tourist towns[ but it
    >> will last you for decades if you only use text groups.
    >> They don't even charge you for downloading headers or
    >> updating newly added newsgroups.
    >>
    >> http://www.news.astraweb.com/
    >>
    >> Plus, you can access any number of their servers, like one for each
    >> member of your harem, if you like... and each one of these, you can
    >> clone as many times as you like, up to 50 connections, at once [with
    >> a proper newsreader].
    >>
    >> General Server: news.astraweb.com
    >>
    >> European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com
    >>
    >> US Server: us.news.astraweb.com
    >>
    >> Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080
    >>
    >> Secure Servers:
    >>
    >> ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563
    >>
    >> ssl-eu.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (European)
    >>
    >> ssl-us.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (US)
    >>
    >> Maximum Connections: 50 connections

    > Thanks for going to all that trouble, but I think I will stick with
    > new.individual.net at the moment as it does all what I need and I like
    > it.

    OK then; but, it's like Benjamin Franklin said
    which got his face posted on the US $100 bill :

    "A euro saved is a euro not circulating on the
    precariously under-regulated world trade economies."

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 22, 2010
  11. Emrys Davies

    Dan C Guest

    Re:

    On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:27:23 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On 22 Feb 2010 03:46:15 GMT, Dan C <>wrote:
    >
    >>Dump that bullshit and install Linux, and start enjoying your computer
    >>again.

    > Linux is shit for modern day users who want plug and play multimedia. :)

    Wrong, n00b. PnP MM works fine on Linux.

    Here: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/humor/cluepon.jpg

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.

    Dan C, Feb 23, 2010