    logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.

    But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    different User and Password. Suggestions?
    William W. Plummer, Apr 4, 2005

  2. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Comcast requires the the "controlling account" username and password for
    > logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.
    >
    > But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    > different User and Password. Suggestions?

    Using Mozilla 1.7.6 my Comcast controlling account's e-mail address and
    password are required to log in to news server, they aren't required for
    each newsgroup on the server. I use a different Comcast e-mail address
    for posting, its password isn't needed.
    Doug G, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Doug G wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Comcast requires the the "controlling account" username and password for
    >>logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.
    >>
    >>But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    >>different User and Password. Suggestions?

    > Using Mozilla 1.7.6 my Comcast controlling account's e-mail address and
    > password are required to log in to news server, they aren't required for
    > each newsgroup on the server. I use a different Comcast e-mail address
    > for posting, its password isn't needed.

    Yes, we could both set the server user and password to be the
    controlling account values. That would make news work on both
    machines. BUT, we would be doing mail in the same POP mailbox. No
    good. So, we need a way to specify user&pass for each mailbox, but
    still let news work.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 5, 2005
  4. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Comcast requires the the "controlling account" username and password for
    >>>logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.
    >>>
    >>>But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    >>>different User and Password. Suggestions?

    >> Using Mozilla 1.7.6 my Comcast controlling account's e-mail address and
    >> password are required to log in to news server, they aren't required for
    >> each newsgroup on the server. I use a different Comcast e-mail address
    >> for posting, its password isn't needed.

    > Yes, we could both set the server user and password to be the
    > controlling account values. That would make news work on both
    > machines. BUT, we would be doing mail in the same POP mailbox. No
    > good. So, we need a way to specify user&pass for each mailbox, but
    > still let news work.

    Are you using two computers?
    Wuo is "we".
    Doug G, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Doug G wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Doug G wrote:

    >>>Using Mozilla 1.7.6 my Comcast controlling account's e-mail address and
    >>>password are required to log in to news server, they aren't required for
    >>>each newsgroup on the server. I use a different Comcast e-mail address
    >>>for posting, its password isn't needed.

    >>Yes, we could both set the server user and password to be the
    >>controlling account values. That would make news work on both
    >>machines. BUT, we would be doing mail in the same POP mailbox. No
    >>good. So, we need a way to specify user&pass for each mailbox, but
    >>still let news work.

    > Are you using two computers?

    Yes. Two persons, two computers, one Comcast feed with one controlling
    account and one secondary account.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 5, 2005
  6. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>>Yes, we could both set the server user and password to be the
    >>>controlling account values. That would make news work on both
    >>>machines. BUT, we would be doing mail in the same POP mailbox. No
    >>>good. So, we need a way to specify user&pass for each mailbox, but
    >>>still let news work.

    >> Are you using two computers?

    > Yes. Two persons, two computers, one Comcast feed with one controlling
    > account and one secondary account.

    Try giving the second computer its own Mozilla profile.
    Doug G, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Doug G wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Doug G wrote:

    >>>Are you using two computers?

    >>Yes. Two persons, two computers, one Comcast feed with one controlling
    >>account and one secondary account.
    >>

    > Try giving the second computer its own Mozilla profile.

    That will not solve the problem. It would mean she would have to select
    one profile for getting mail and then switch to the other profile for
    reading news. If she slipped and selected "get messages" for the mail
    account, she would get my mail rather than hers.

    Mozilla simply needs to be able to specify the user,pass to be used for
    contacting the news server.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 5, 2005
  8. William W. Plummer

    Nick Thomas Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Comcast requires the the "controlling account" username and password for
    > logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.
    >
    > But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    > different User and Password. Suggestions?

    I'm using Thunderbird rather than Mozilla Mail but am prompted for a
    username and password the first time I contact the news (or mail)
    server. I click the "remember" check box to avoid this in future. Did
    that happen for you? You might need to remove any saved username &
    password entries in the preferences if you have wrong information stored
    there.
    Nick Thomas, Apr 5, 2005
  9. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>>Yes. Two persons, two computers, one Comcast feed with one controlling
    >>>account and one secondary account.
    >>>

    >> Try giving the second computer its own Mozilla profile.

    > That will not solve the problem. It would mean she would have to select
    > one profile for getting mail and then switch to the other profile for
    > reading news. If she slipped and selected "get messages" for the mail
    > account, she would get my mail rather than hers.
    >
    > Mozilla simply needs to be able to specify the user,pass to be used for
    > contacting the news server.

    The second profile doesn't need to have the primary Comcast e-mail
    account configured in it to use Comcast's news server.
    Doug G, Apr 5, 2005
  10. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Doug G wrote:

    >>>Try giving the second computer its own Mozilla profile.

    >>That will not solve the problem. It would mean she would have to select
    >>one profile for getting mail and then switch to the other profile for
    >>reading news. If she slipped and selected "get messages" for the mail
    >>account, she would get my mail rather than hers.
    >>
    >>Mozilla simply needs to be able to specify the user,pass to be used for
    >>contacting the news server.

    > The second profile doesn't need to have the primary Comcast e-mail
    > account configured in it to use Comcast's news server.

    On the second account, simply dont tell Mozilla/Thunderbird to remember
    the password.
    In this manner, no one but you can access your mail, unless you give out
    your password of course.
    Moz Champion, Apr 6, 2005
  11. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nick Thomas wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Comcast requires the the "controlling account" username and password
    >> for logging in to the news server. That's true for all sub-accounts.
    >>
    >> But it looks like Mozilla news account edit doesn't let me put in a
    >> different User and Password. Suggestions?

    > I'm using Thunderbird rather than Mozilla Mail but am prompted for a
    > username and password the first time I contact the news (or mail)
    > server. I click the "remember" check box to avoid this in future. Did
    > that happen for you? You might need to remove any saved username &
    > password entries in the preferences if you have wrong information stored
    > there.

    You currently are not allowed two accounts for the same news server (you
    cant create them)
    But you can get around this anyone of two ways

    You can specify the server by numeric value, instead of by name
    i.e. instead of using snews://secnews.netscape.com as the server name,
    you use 204.29.187.156
    use of this method will create a situation in which the security
    certificate for the site doesnt match the name, click OK on first access
    for the session, it will be accepted for the remainder of the session

    Or, you can use another name for the server and use a hosts file to
    direct it to the proper host
    this should remove the certificate issue problem as well (note, untried
    personally tho, it SHOULD work)
    Moz Champion, Apr 6, 2005
  12. Moz Champion wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>> That will not solve the problem. It would mean she would have to
    >>> select one profile for getting mail and then switch to the other
    >>> profile for reading news. If she slipped and selected "get
    >>> messages" for the mail account, she would get my mail rather than hers.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla simply needs to be able to specify the user,pass to be used
    >>> for contacting the news server.

    >> The second profile doesn't need to have the primary Comcast e-mail
    >> account configured in it to use Comcast's news server.

    > On the second account, simply dont tell Mozilla/Thunderbird to remember
    > the password.
    > In this manner, no one but you can access your mail, unless you give out
    > your password of course.

    Mozilla development has stopped. So this problem will not be fixed.
    It looks like I'm taking us back to the Microsoft Outlook/Internet
    Explorer setup.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 6, 2005
  13. On 4/6/2005 2:06 PM, William W. Plummer said:

    > Mozilla development has stopped.

    No it hasn't. It's just passed into different hands.

    David H
    David Harrison, Apr 6, 2005
  14. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >> Doug G wrote:

    >>> The second profile doesn't need to have the primary Comcast e-mail
    >>> account configured in it to use Comcast's news server.

    >> On the second account, simply dont tell Mozilla/Thunderbird to remember
    >> the password.
    >> In this manner, no one but you can access your mail, unless you give out
    >> your password of course.

    > Mozilla development has stopped. So this problem will not be fixed.
    > It looks like I'm taking us back to the Microsoft Outlook/Internet
    > Explorer setup.

    What problem?
    Doug G, Apr 6, 2005
  15. Doug G wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Moz Champion wrote:

    >>>On the second account, simply dont tell Mozilla/Thunderbird to remember
    >>>the password.
    >>>In this manner, no one but you can access your mail, unless you give out
    >>>your password of course.

    >>Mozilla development has stopped. So this problem will not be fixed.
    >>It looks like I'm taking us back to the Microsoft Outlook/Internet
    >>Explorer setup.

    > What problem?

    It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify a
    username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 6, 2005
  16. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>>Mozilla development has stopped. So this problem will not be fixed.
    >>>It looks like I'm taking us back to the Microsoft Outlook/Internet
    >>>Explorer setup.

    >> What problem?

    > It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify a
    > username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    > different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    > Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.

    The usernames for all of my Comcast e-mail accounts is the part of the
    e-mail address before the "@" sign.

    The username for my Comcast news server account is my primary account's
    entire e-mail address.
    Doug G, Apr 6, 2005
  17. Doug G wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>Doug G wrote:

    >>>What problem?

    >>It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify a
    >>username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    >>different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    >>Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.

    > The usernames for all of my Comcast e-mail accounts is the part of the
    > e-mail address before the "@" sign.
    >
    > The username for my Comcast news server account is my primary account's
    > entire e-mail address.

    So you have said. And I'll repeat that my secondary user needs to put
    HER username and password in for HER email access on HER machine. But
    Mozilla will use that when she tries to access the news server. It
    fails because she is not the primary user. Mozilla is the only
    mail&news system I have seen that doesn't allow specifying the users and
    passwords separately for mail and news.
    William W. Plummer, Apr 7, 2005
  18. William W. Plummer

    Doug G Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>>It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify a
    >>>username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    >>>different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    >>>Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.

    >> The usernames for all of my Comcast e-mail accounts is the part of the
    >> e-mail address before the "@" sign.
    >>
    >> The username for my Comcast news server account is my primary account's
    >> entire e-mail address.

    > So you have said. And I'll repeat that my secondary user needs to put
    > HER username and password in for HER email access on HER machine. But
    > Mozilla will use that when she tries to access the news server. It
    > fails because she is not the primary user. Mozilla is the only
    > mail&news system I have seen that doesn't allow specifying the users and
    > passwords separately for mail and news.

    Mozilla won't use the same username and password for the POP and NNTP
    servers unless someone tells it to.

    Have her open her Mozilla profile, open its Password Manager, click the
    Show Passwords button and look for lines similar to the following.

    news://newsgroups.comcast.net:119/#password <> a password
    news://newsgroups.comcast.net:119/#username <> a username

    If the lines contain her username and password, she should remove them.
    Then after closing the Password Manager and Mozilla, she should restart
    the program and try to access Comcast's news server.

    When the news server asks for a username and password she should enter
    the primary account's e-mail address for the username and the primary
    account's password for the password.
    Doug G, Apr 7, 2005
  19. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>> Mozilla development has stopped. So this problem will not be fixed.
    >>> It looks like I'm taking us back to the Microsoft Outlook/Internet
    >>> Explorer setup.

    >> What problem?

    > It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify a
    > username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    > different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    > Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.

    No it doesnt! Each account, email OR news can have its own username and
    password!
    For example the username I use on one news server doesnt even EXIST as
    an email account, and the one I use on another, while similar to an
    email in use, is NOT an email address

    You can use ANY username/password combination with regards to each
    account, and news accounts are seperate from email accounts

    So what problem?
    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2005
  20. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:

    >>> It is fairly well documented above. Mozilla needs a way to specify
    >>> a username and password for your selected POP server (mail) and a
    >>> different username and password for your selected NNTP server (news).
    >>> Currently, Mozilla uses your mail ID for news as well.

    >> The usernames for all of my Comcast e-mail accounts is the part of the
    >> e-mail address before the "@" sign.
    >>
    >> The username for my Comcast news server account is my primary account's
    >> entire e-mail address.

    > So you have said. And I'll repeat that my secondary user needs to put
    > HER username and password in for HER email access on HER machine. But
    > Mozilla will use that when she tries to access the news server. It
    > fails because she is not the primary user. Mozilla is the only
    > mail&news system I have seen that doesn't allow specifying the users and
    > passwords separately for mail and news.

    No, Mozilla will NOT use that by default! Mozilla will use whatever
    username/password you give it for THAT account, and a news account is
    seperate from an email account!
    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2005