news.individual.net down?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    trouble?

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007

  2. Geoff Pearson

    CoMa Guest

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:59:14 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    <> wrote:

    >I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    >trouble?

    Working at my end (sweden)

    CoMa, Apr 9, 2007

  3. "CoMa" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:59:14 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    >>trouble?

    > Working at my end (sweden)

    I can't even get their website

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > "CoMa" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:59:14 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    >>>trouble?

    >> Working at my end (sweden)
    >>

    > I can't even get their website

    Run a "traceroute" or "tracert" (windows) for news.individual.net and see
    where it stops. Then contact your ISPs helldesk, providing that info (you
    need to somehow overcome 1st level).

    Walter Mautner, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Geoff Pearson

    CoMa Guest

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:14:27 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    <> wrote:

    >"CoMa" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:59:14 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    >>>trouble?

    >> Working at my end (sweden)
    >>

    >I can't even get their website

    The website works here
    http://news.individual.net/

    CoMa, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Stroma Guest

    On 9 Apr, 07:59, "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote:
    > I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    > trouble?

    Not working for me either, Mate. Or the site.

    Stroma, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else
    > having trouble?

    I can access the website and the server.

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    200 The server welcomes <snip my IP & rDNS> . Authorization required for
    reading and posting.
    Query complete.

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    <snip>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 9, 2007
  8. "Stroma" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Apr, 07:59, "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote:
    >> I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else having
    >> trouble?

    > Not working for me either, Mate. Or the site.

    I am BT Internet/Openworld too - may be it is their problem?

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  9. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else
    >> having trouble?

    > I can access the website and the server.
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    > The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    > Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    > [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    > 200 The server welcomes <snip my IP & rDNS> . Authorization required for
    > reading and posting.
    > Query complete.
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    > The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    > Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    > [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    > The server returned the following response headers:
    > <snip>
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    it is working again now.

    thanks for the help.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Stroma Guest

    On 9 Apr, 12:32, "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > >> I can't get onto this news server - for which I pay. Anyone else
    > >> having trouble?

    > > I can access the website and the server.

    > > Initiating server query ...
    > > Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    > > The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    > > Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    > > [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    > > 200 The server welcomes <snip my IP & rDNS> . Authorization required for
    > > reading and posting.
    > > Query complete.

    > > Initiating server query ...
    > > Looking up IP address for domain: news.individual.net
    > > The IP address for the domain is: 130.133.1.4
    > > Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    > > [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    > > The server returned the following response headers:
    > > <snip>

    > > --
    > > Mike Easter

    > it is working again now.
    >
    > thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

    Fine here too, now.

    Stroma, Apr 9, 2007
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Suggestions to Stroma and Geoff, considering their agents

    Stroma wrote: <driving googlegroups>
    > Geoff Pearson" <driving OE>

    >>> I can access the website and the server.

    >>> Initiating server query ...

    >>> --
    >>> Mike Easter

    Geoff, your OE fails to autotrim sigs. You should either manually trim
    them during 'general' trimming and contextualization, or use an OE addon
    called OE QuoteFix which can help with all kinds of OE deficiencies
    including autotrimming sigs.

    >> it is working again now.
    >>
    >> thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

    > Fine here too, now.

    Stroma, your googlegroups usage defaults to positioning the cursor at
    the bottom and quoting everything in the message replied. It would be
    better if you trimmed and contextualized your reply rather than just
    starting to type after you hit reply.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 9, 2007
  12. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Suggestions to Stroma and Geoff, considering their agents
    >
    > Stroma wrote: <driving googlegroups>
    >> Geoff Pearson" <driving OE>
    >>> "Mike Easter" <trimming and contextualizing>

    > Geoff, your OE fails to autotrim sigs. You should either manually trim
    > them during 'general' trimming and contextualization, or use an OE addon
    > called OE QuoteFix which can help with all kinds of OE deficiencies
    > including autotrimming sigs.
    >
    >>> it is working again now.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

    >> Fine here too, now.

    > Stroma, your googlegroups usage defaults to positioning the cursor at
    > the bottom and quoting everything in the message replied. It would be
    > better if you trimmed and contextualized your reply rather than just
    > starting to type after you hit reply.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    It is this kind of pomposity which spoils otherwise valuable discussions.
    Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech which does not exist
    in the real world.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech
    > which does not exist in the real world.

    If you have a better word for contextualize than contextualize, then lay
    it on me.

    Trim is a nice little word. Inline is often used to describe
    contextualization.

    For right now, I suggest you just focus on trim. I don't want to turn a
    4 letter word into an 8 letter one for you by saying 'trimming'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 9, 2007
  14. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > If you have a better word for contextualize than contextualize, then lay
    > it on me.

    "contextualise" is 1% better although neither is accepted by Mr Gates'
    spell-checker, nor do they mean "trim".

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  15. "Mike Easter" aka "Sally Shithead" writes this in

    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    >> Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech
    >> which does not exist in the real world.

    > If you have a better word for contextualize than contextualize,
    > then lay it on me.

    In your case, how about "snip-and-snipe" until only
    you and your sock-drawer know what the fuuk you're
    talking about...

    > Trim is a nice little word. Inline is often used to describe
    > contextualization.

    You lame POS - why don't you fuuking learn to communicate
    instead of trying to control everyone else's behaviours...
    or their honest communication efforts.

    > For right now, I suggest you just focus on trim.

    I suggest you focus on trim-the-****-off-and-choke, you retard.
    If you don't like the way they write : DON'T FUCKING READ IT!

    > I don't want to turn a
    > 4 letter word into an 8 letter one
    > for you by saying 'trimming'.

    "Contextualize" - you twice-used-butt-wipe -

    --

    Woman: "Help, help! An Englishman tried to rape me!"

    Cop: "How do you know he was British?"

    Woman: "I had to help him get it up."

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 9, 2007
  16. Geoff Pearson

    Col Guest

    **** off, bellend.

    Col, Apr 9, 2007
  17. Geoff Pearson

    elaich Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    > It is this kind of pomposity which spoils otherwise valuable
    > discussions. Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech
    > which does not exist in the real world.

    It is your kind of posting and failure to trim quotes that causes 250 lines
    of quoted text with a "me too!" at the bottom.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Apr 9, 2007
  18. "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >
    >> It is this kind of pomposity which spoils otherwise valuable
    >> discussions. Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech
    >> which does not exist in the real world.

    > It is your kind of posting and failure to trim quotes that causes 250
    > lines
    > of quoted text with a "me too!" at the bottom.
    >
    > --
    > A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    > Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    Actually, in the business and government world, top-posting is much
    preferred. And "trimming" is frowned upon as it mars the audit trail.
    Neither world is right - they are right for their own realms.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 9, 2007
  19. Geoff Pearson

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-09, Geoff Pearson <> wrote:

    > "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> It is this kind of pomposity which spoils otherwise valuable
    >>> discussions. Words like "contextualize" indicate a manner of speech
    >>> which does not exist in the real world.

    >> It is your kind of posting and failure to trim quotes that causes 250
    >> lines
    >> of quoted text with a "me too!" at the bottom.
    >>
    >> --
    >> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    >> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    > Actually, in the business and government world, top-posting is much
    > preferred. And "trimming" is frowned upon as it mars the audit trail.
    > Neither world is right - they are right for their own realms.

    Anyone who relies on an 'audit trail' contained in an email, deserves to be
    audited into a queue at the employment exchange PDQ. Hard copy of each
    email in an exchange, with the complete 'headers', and verified at the
    time by whoever printed it out, might work as an 'audit trail'. Better if
    there are also separate conventional written confirmations of all the
    significant details, made at the same time and copied as hard copy to all
    concerned.

    Top-posting with un-trimmed fully quoted text from the previous message
    may be 'normal practice' in business email exchanges, but that doesn't make
    it 'good practice' or 'helpful' or even 'deliberate'. It has never made
    sense.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 9, 2007
  20. Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > Actually, in the business and government world, top-posting is much
    > preferred. And "trimming" is frowned upon as it mars the audit trail.
    > Neither world is right - they are right for their own realms.

    Well, and sysadmins always keep banging their heads on the huge storage
    racks which are necessary due to that behavior. The top-posting is
    just "preferred" because actually noone really reads the remainder, and
    even attachments go into chains of replies, multiple times, to multiple
    recipients, due to sheer carelessness.
    Then, nobody ever cares to delete old mails (included attachments) and the
    storage racks get higher eating up all the IT budget.
    "Corporate behavior" is a lame excuse made up by wonnabe-lawyers.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 9, 2007