    got an error returned from the Ihug/Vodafone news server! So it was the
    fault of that news server, not KNode after all.

    Looks like a 1028-byte “References:†line is more than it can handle...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I’ve been hitting this situation once or twice, where a thread gets really
    > long, and I found I could no longer post a new message.
    >
    > I figured out it was because the “References:†line was getting too long.
    > But who was imposing the limit? I was blaming KNode.
    >
    > But today I tried a different tack, pulling the problem message out of
    > KNode’s outbox and posting it using the command-line postnews utility. And I
    > got an error returned from the Ihug/Vodafone news server! So it was the
    > fault of that news server, not KNode after all.
    >
    > Looks like a 1028-byte “References:†line is more than it can handle...

    As per RFC2822 the maximum line length is 988 characters. Header
    strings can however be split across multiple lines to overcome this limit.

    See page 8 of http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-usefor-usefor-12.txt for
    details.

    Also see section 2.1.1 of RFC2822 for clarification - whilst this
    specifically applies to email NNTP is governed by the same basic rules.

    EMB, Nov 20, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I’ve been hitting this situation once or twice, where a thread gets really
    > long, and I found I could no longer post a new message.
    >
    > I figured out it was because the “References:†line was getting too long.
    > But who was imposing the limit? I was blaming KNode.
    >
    > But today I tried a different tack, pulling the problem message out of
    > KNode’s outbox and posting it using the command-line postnews utility. And I
    > got an error returned from the Ihug/Vodafone news server! So it was the
    > fault of that news server, not KNode after all.
    >
    > Looks like a 1028-byte “References:†line is more than it can handle...

    you could always do the entire population of nz.comp a really big favor
    and stop posting altogether, as 99.9% of you posting's are complete dribble

    greg, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs greg wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Looks like a 1028-byte "References:" line is more than it can
    >> handle...

    > you could always do the entire population of nz.comp a really big
    > favor and stop posting altogether, as 99.9% of you posting's are
    > complete dribble

    I only see his posts when people such as yourself reply to him....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:39:25 +1300, greg <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> I’ve been hitting this situation once or twice, where a thread gets really
    >>> long, and I found I could no longer post a new message.
    >>>
    >>> I figured out it was because the “References:†line was getting too long.
    >>> But who was imposing the limit? I was blaming KNode.
    >>>
    >>> But today I tried a different tack, pulling the problem message out of
    >>> KNode’s outbox and posting it using the command-line postnews utility. And I
    >>> got an error returned from the Ihug/Vodafone news server! So it was the
    >>> fault of that news server, not KNode after all.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like a 1028-byte “References:†line is more than it can handle...

    >> you could always do the entire population of nz.comp a really big favor
    >> and stop posting altogether, as 99.9% of you posting's are complete dribble

    > Greg - use your kill file (or the equivalent in Thunderbird).

    Crash, do yourself a favour:
    Open one of Lawrences messages then do the following:
    Alt-M (messages menu)
    A (Create filter From Message
    Enter (or click OK)

    No more Lawrence messages to bother you.. or the rest of us that
    killfiled him already.

    Squiggle, Nov 20, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:25:00 +1300, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Crash wrote:

    >>> Greg - use your kill file (or the equivalent in Thunderbird).

    >> Crash, do yourself a favour:
    >> Open one of Lawrences messages then do the following:
    >> Alt-M (messages menu)
    >> A (Create filter From Message
    >> Enter (or click OK)
    >>

    >> No more Lawrence messages to bother you.. or the rest of us that
    >> killfiled him already.

    > Squiggle - you seem to have confused me with Greg. It was Greg who
    > complained about Larry's posts. I mentioned the killfile in response
    > to Greg.
    > --
    > Crash

    Greg seems to complain about all of Lawrence's posts, I doubt he will
    killfile Lawrence as that would end his reason for being.

    Sailor Sam, Nov 20, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > Crash wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:25:00 +1300, Squiggle <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Crash, do yourself a favour:
    >>> Open one of Lawrences messages then do the following:
    >>> Alt-M (messages menu)
    >>> A (Create filter From Message
    >>> Enter (or click OK)
    >>>

    >>> No more Lawrence messages to bother you.. or the rest of us that
    >>> killfiled him already.

    >> Squiggle - you seem to have confused me with Greg. It was Greg who
    >> complained about Larry's posts. I mentioned the killfile in response
    >> to Greg.
    >> --
    >> Crash

    > Greg seems to complain about all of Lawrence's posts, I doubt he will
    > killfile Lawrence as that would end his reason for being.

    I know it's hard not to complain, but he now should be killfiled ;)

    greg, Nov 21, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Crash wrote:

    > Squiggle - you seem to have confused me with Greg. It was Greg who
    > complained about Larry's posts. I mentioned the killfile in response
    > to Greg.
    > --
    > Crash

    Indeed I did, please accept my apologies. Ante-meridiem hours don't work
    well for students like myself.. we evolve into nocturnal creatures.

    Squiggle, Nov 21, 2009