    some groups.

    Thanks

    Tom.
    tflfb, Nov 27, 2003

  2. tflfb

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I don't believe there is a way with OE to have it automatically delete
    messages that are more than X days old. Instead, when your newsserver
    deletes the messages they will also be deleted from your computer. The
    exception to this (at least on my end) seems to be 'watched' messages.
    Either it forces the newsserver to keep the messages or it doesn't delete
    them from my machine even after the newsserver does.

    What I've done to get around the message problem is just download the
    headers of the *new* messages. If you click on the account name, the right
    side window will have a list of all the subscribed newsgroups and what the
    synchronization settings are. I have all of mine set to 'New Messages
    Only'.

    Now, when I click on a newsgroup it only downloads the headers of the new
    messages. If I see one that is interesting, I click on it and OE downloads
    the message. If I know that I'm reading an entire thread then I will
    download that thread (waiting for a new connection for every new message in
    the thread can be a bit annoying).

    I do this because I rarely read all of the messages in any newsgroup. Take
    this one for example, my server has 7,681 messages for this group. I've
    read perhaps 100. There's no reason to download the other 7,500.

    HTH,
    Adam

    "tflfb" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to have downloaded messages automatically deleted, after a
    > certain amount of days.
    >
    > If messages downloaded today would not be displayed in 5 days.
    >
    > My reason for wanting to do this is that when I click on a News group it
    > takes a long time to down load all the messages, I down load 300 at a

    time.
    > Some of the N/Gs have 5k messages.
    >
    > I have DSL 640.0 Kbps down load speed, it seems to take at lease a minute

    on

    Adam Steiner, Nov 27, 2003

  3. tflfb

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "tflfb" <> wrote in

    > Is there a way to have downloaded messages automatically deleted,
    > after a certain amount of days.

    You don't control messsages being deleted, that is a function of your
    news provider.

    > If messages downloaded today would not be displayed in 5 days.

    You should be able to set up filters so that messages older than x days
    are not displayed, if not, get a better news client.

    > My reason for wanting to do this is that when I click on a News group
    > it takes a long time to down load all the messages, I down load 300 at
    > a time. Some of the N/Gs have 5k messages.

    It isn't downloading all messages unless you have it set to retrieve
    headers and bodies (which is a bad idea). It is just downloading message
    headers. As a comparison, I'm on supernews and there is 21,060 articles
    in this group (alt.computer).

    > I have DSL 640.0 Kbps down load speed, it seems to take at lease a
    > minute on some groups

    Your DSL speed may not matter, as your news provider/ISP may be limiting
    the speed of your newsgroup access, especially if your ISP outsources to
    uswest, they may be limiting you to as low as 64kbit/sec (8KB/sec).

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 27, 2003