    saying an unknown response was received in response to a request for
    information from news server. I try to open the news group & I get a message
    that says message can not be displayed. Can you help?
    Carol Pickett, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Carol Pickett enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I started having a problem getting in to my news groups. It has a
    > message saying an unknown response was received in response to a
    > request for information from news server. I try to open the news group
    > & I get a message that says message can not be displayed. Can you
    > help?

    Since you used a web interface to supernews here, we are not able to
    recognize which newsreader and - more important - which newsserver you
    use regularly. Do you have a limited account and are beyond transfer
    limit?
    Walter Mautner, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Carol Pickett

    richard Guest

    "Carol Pickett" <> wrote in message
    >I started having a problem getting in to my news groups. It has a message
    > saying an unknown response was received in response to a request for
    > information from news server. I try to open the news group & I get a
    > message
    > that says message can not be displayed. Can you help?

    Quite possible that your service has dropped the group. Refresh the groups
    list.
    This group is not affiliated with YOUR service.
    richard, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Carol Pickett

    Mike Easter Guest

    Carol Pickett wrote:

    > I started having a problem getting in to my news groups.

    All of them? Some of them? One of them?

    > It has a
    > message saying an unknown response was received in response to a
    > request for information from news server.

    Do you have other newsserver accounts besides the supernews one? You
    can troubleshoot news problems with a particular group by accessing that
    group in another newsserver. For troubleshooting purposes, multiple
    newsserver accounts is extremely useful to distinguish newsserver
    problems from newsreader problems from other problems.

    > I try to open the news
    > group & I get a message that says message can not be displayed.

    What is the newsgroup which is having a problem? Sometimes a group's
    numbering at the newsserver can get outawhack compared to what your OE
    thinks is the news message numbering and need to have its pointers reset
    by selecting the group in the folder view and using R click or File/
    Properties/ Local file tab - reset button.

    Steps of repair. Step 1 is checking the newsgroup on another
    newsserver. If you don't have another newsserver, you should find a
    free one for an alternate account. Step 2 is resetting the pointers on
    the newsgroup in qusetion as described. That loses all the accounting
    for which messages have been read and downloaded. Step 3 is when a news
    account is so screwed up that you need to remove and replace the account
    itself in the OE/ Accounts/ News tab - select the supernews account and
    use the remove button. Then you have to rebuild the account from
    scratch.

    As you can see, step 1 is the most important step because it leads to
    all of those other steps. If you don't have a 'spare' newsserver
    account, it impairs all of the rest of the troubleshooting.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006
  5. Carol Pickett

    Mike Easter Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Carol Pickett

    >> I started having a problem getting in to my news groups.

    > Since you used a web interface to supernews here, we are not able to
    > recognize which newsreader and - more important - which newsserver you
    > use regularly. Do you have a limited account and are beyond transfer
    > limit?

    Supernews doesn't provide a web interface. They just promote their
    website in the organization line. Her headers show her OE newsreader.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Mike Easter enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > Supernews doesn't provide a web interface. They just promote their
    > website in the organization line. Her headers show her OE newsreader.

    Ah, damned. I just took a glance with haf-closed eyes, maybe, and the
    URL fooled me ;-)
    Walter Mautner, Sep 17, 2006