    Hundreds of garbage posts (sometimes thousands) makes the group almost
    useless without some type of filter.

    thanks.

    Rob, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Rob

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:33:56 -0400, Rob wrote:

    >Hipcrime is having some fun in a couple of newsgroups I monitor. Can
    >anyone suggest a filter to get rid of this stuff?
    >
    >Message filters for newsgroups (unlike mail) doesn't seem to have the
    >functionality to customize the headers to filter on. The only ones in
    >the drop down is From, Subject and Date. Since hipcrime changes the
    >subject and from headers on each entry, these don't help a lot.
    >
    >Hundreds of garbage posts (sometimes thousands) makes the group almost
    >useless without some type of filter.

    To filter on other headers than you're able to in Thunderbird would
    require third-party software (e.g. Nfilter) or another news client,
    plus also depends on the news server(s) you're using and their support
    of XHDR. I've read Giganews (from your headers) only support XHDR on
    overview headers, which may not be much help for sporge. Some news
    services do a pretty good job of server-side filtering and/or support
    XHDR on all headers for client-side filtering.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jun 28, 2006

  3. Rob

    Rom, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Rob

    Splibbilla Guest

    Rom <> in news::

    > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:33:56 -0400, Rob wrote:
    >
    >>Hipcrime is having some fun in a couple of newsgroups I monitor. Can
    >>anyone suggest a filter to get rid of this stuff?
    >>
    >>Message filters for newsgroups (unlike mail) doesn't seem to have the
    >>functionality to customize the headers to filter on. The only ones in
    >>the drop down is From, Subject and Date. Since hipcrime changes the
    >>subject and from headers on each entry, these don't help a lot.
    >>
    >>Hundreds of garbage posts (sometimes thousands) makes the group almost
    >>useless without some type of filter.

    > To filter on other headers than you're able to in Thunderbird would
    > require third-party software (e.g. Nfilter) or another news client,

    xnews? you can regex the rc list for emirc or h0p h1p and so on
    and delete the crapgroups.

    other than in those group lists, i've never seen hiipgrime stuff

    Splibbilla, Jun 30, 2006
  5. Rob

    Splibbilla Guest

    Rom <> in news::