    A few pointers or keywords to google would be appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 22, 2008

  2. Lodi

    impossible Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:fujkot$mkr$...
    > Hi all...There's been a few stories in the news lately which have
    > interested me. NASA's planned moon base, Cook Strait tidal generators,
    > racetrack memory and similar. I'm guessing over the following weeks and
    > months there may well be updates on these stories.
    >
    > Is there some software or a sort of news website to which I can say "Look
    > through all the news websites each day and keep an eye out for these
    > things on my list which interest me. Let me know if you find anything".
    >
    > Is this RSS (not sure what that is but I see it mentioned regularly)
    >
    > A few pointers or keywords to google would be appreciated.

    Google News is pretty handy for this kind of thing.

    http://news.google.com/

    You can customize several searches that will automatically update every
    15-20 minutes on a personalized page. For example:

    +NASA "moon base"

    +"Cook Strait" tidal gen*

    "racetrack memory"

    impossible, Apr 22, 2008

  3. Lodi

    neutrino Guest

    to go slightly off topic - wish to hell the Govt would get off the
    WindFarm and concentrate their energies and resources on the Cook
    Strait tidal generators, tides may pause for maybe half an hour a day,
    but the Wind can pause for several!! and even when it does blow - it's
    not always reliably strong enough, at least you can get a cast Iron
    guarantee the Cook strait tidal flow will be there, constant and
    forever--- well... as long as it takes until the south Is to meet the
    north - and I think that's many many many centuries away !

    neutrino, Apr 22, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Fantail Guest

    On Apr 22, 10:55 pm, neutrino <> wrote:
    > to go slightly off topic - wish to hell the Govt would get off the
    > WindFarm and concentrate their energies and resources on the Cook
    > Strait tidal generators,...

    There have been many, many failures in attempts to harness tide and
    wave power. The conditions are extremely harsh and unforgiving, and
    Cook Strait would be up there with the toughest. Maybe it'll work
    reliably one day, but don't expect it soon. Decades at least.

    How long windmills can pause is irrelevant (ok, over however many
    minutes that make it not good for peak load). NZ is well suited to
    wind power because it works in well with hydro.

    My 2c, John

    Fantail, Apr 23, 2008
  5. Lodi

    Guest

    Thanks all for the google news suggestions. Had a look at it and it
    should do the job swimmingly.

    Regards
    Lodi

    , Apr 23, 2008