News.btinternet.com (Help needed)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:13:30 +0100, steve wrote:

    >just a quick question,
    >how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    "invalid"?

    Try again.

    What is the EXACT error?

    >im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    >download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say
    >that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >
    >please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)

    Try a different username - perhaps yourusername, or your e-mail
    address.

    steve, Sep 5, 2007

  3. Evan Platt

    Mike Easter Guest

    steve wrote:
    > just a quick question,
    > how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    > broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    Many providers want the user or account to be the complete email
    address, not just the username part of the address.

    > im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    > download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they
    > say that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...

    Most tech support people these days do not know what newsgroups are and
    do not have a newsreader or access to the provider's newsserver by which
    provider they are employed to give tech support.

    Personally, I think that all tech support people should be required to
    be able to use a newsreader and a newsserver to be hired to a tech
    support job, whether the provider provides a newsserver or not -- but
    especially if the provider's package includes access to a newsserver
    outsourced or inhouse.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 5, 2007
  4. Evan Platt

    steve a Guest

    On 2007-09-05 18:12:17 +0100, Evan Platt
    <> said:

    > On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:13:30 +0100, steve wrote:
    >
    >> just a quick question,
    >> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    > "invalid"?
    >
    > Try again.
    >
    > What is the EXACT error?
    >
    >> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    >> download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say
    >> that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >>
    >> please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)

    > Try a different username - perhaps yourusername, or your e-mail
    > address.

    i get:

    The server said: "Access Denied via @btinternet.com auth server"

    Authentication failed. Are you sure you've entered your username and
    password correctly (including "unison/" before the username if it's a
    Unison Usenet account)? Perhaps you have gone over your transfer limit
    for the month? Is your news account still active? Just a few ideas!

    i have entered my username and password in fine...

    steve a, Sep 5, 2007
  5. Evan Platt

    ded Guest

    <steve a> wrote in message news:...
    > On 2007-09-05 18:12:17 +0100, Evan Platt
    > <> said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:13:30 +0100, steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> just a quick question,
    >>> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >>> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    >> "invalid"?
    >>
    >> Try again.
    >>
    >> What is the EXACT error?
    >>
    >>> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    >>> download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say
    >>> that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >>>
    >>> please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)

    >> Try a different username - perhaps yourusername, or your e-mail
    >> address.

    > i get:
    >
    > The server said: "Access Denied via @btinternet.com auth server"
    >
    > Authentication failed. Are you sure you've entered your username and
    > password correctly (including "unison/" before the username if it's a
    > Unison Usenet account)? Perhaps you have gone over your transfer limit for
    > the month? Is your news account still active? Just a few ideas!
    >

    > i have entered my username and password in fine...

    I don't know what "unison" is.
    I do know that BT outsource to giganews and that BT news access
    is deemed to be one of the best available from a UK ISP.
    On BT Broadband I don't think there is a limit (Though I maybe wrong?)

    As a MAC user, you could use Thunderbird as your news client.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html#en

    Follow the tutorial to configure.
    Tools>Account Settings
    Server Name: news.btinternet.com
    Server Setting: news.btinternet.com
    Port: Default 119

    You Don't enter a username nor password, TB being configured to use
    BT servers will connect via your BT connection settings.
    It's very straightforward.

    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  6. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:31:19 +0100, steve a wrote:

    >The server said: "Access Denied via @btinternet.com auth server"
    >
    >Authentication failed. Are you sure you've entered your username and
    >password correctly (including "unison/" before the username if it's a
    >Unison Usenet account)? Perhaps you have gone over your transfer limit
    >for the month? Is your news account still active? Just a few ideas!
    >

    >i have entered my username and password in fine...

    Then you need to contact BT.

    Evan Platt, Sep 5, 2007
  7. Evan Platt

    ded Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >> just a quick question,
    >> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    > Many providers want the user or account to be the complete email
    > address, not just the username part of the address.
    >
    >> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    >> download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they
    >> say that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...

    > Most tech support people these days do not know what newsgroups are and
    > do not have a newsreader or access to the provider's newsserver by which
    > provider they are employed to give tech support.
    >
    > Personally, I think that all tech support people should be required to
    > be able to use a newsreader and a newsserver to be hired to a tech
    > support job, whether the provider provides a newsserver or not -- but
    > especially if the provider's package includes access to a newsserver
    > outsourced or inhouse.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Hi Mike,
    BT is the main phone company here in UK, and was the UK's largest ISP
    until a cable company took that mantle....NTL/Virgin!
    Anyway, if the bt nntp servers are entered correctly (OE/TB etc) and
    the connection is via BT.com (broadband) and the default port, the user
    need not enter username nor password, the nntp servers use the BT
    broadband connection logon details.
    The BT "tech support" is now handled from the Indian sub-continent...

    (If OP is reading)
    I think that TB is fully complaint with BT settings, if OP installs it, the
    first time he opens it he will get the prompt "do you want to make
    Thunderbird default for handling email and news" click OK and it
    will import the BT settings.
    It dosen't effect any other clients installed. They still retain the same
    settings.

    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  8. Evan Platt

    ded Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:fbmr7i$br6$...

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> just a quick question,
    >>> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >>> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.

    >> Many providers want the user or account to be the complete email
    >> address, not just the username part of the address.
    >>
    >>> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    >>> download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they
    >>> say that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...

    >> Most tech support people these days do not know what newsgroups are and
    >> do not have a newsreader or access to the provider's newsserver by which
    >> provider they are employed to give tech support.
    >>
    >> Personally, I think that all tech support people should be required to
    >> be able to use a newsreader and a newsserver to be hired to a tech
    >> support job, whether the provider provides a newsserver or not -- but
    >> especially if the provider's package includes access to a newsserver
    >> outsourced or inhouse.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > Hi Mike,
    > BT is the main phone company here in UK, and was the UK's largest ISP
    > until a cable company took that mantle....NTL/Virgin!
    > Anyway, if the bt nntp servers are entered correctly (OE/TB etc) and
    > the connection is via BT.com (broadband) and the default port, the user
    > need not enter username nor password, the nntp servers use the BT
    > broadband connection logon details.
    > The BT "tech support" is now handled from the Indian sub-continent...
    >
    > (If OP is reading)
    > I think that TB is fully complaint with BT settings, if OP installs it,
    > the
    > first time he opens it he will get the prompt "do you want to make
    > Thunderbird default for handling email and news" click OK and it
    > will import the BT settings.
    > It dosen't effect any other clients installed. They still retain the same
    > settings.

    oops, I of course meant "fully compliant", not "complaint"...

    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  9. Evan Platt

    SJP Guest

    http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btybb.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bty_adp.php?p_sid=erlgQYKi&p_faqid=6782

    http://tinyurl.com/2c99sz

    SJP, Sep 5, 2007
  10. Evan Platt

    ded Guest

    "SJP" <> wrote in message

    > <steve> wrote in message news:...
    >> just a quick question,
    >> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.
    >> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to download
    >> music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say that
    >> theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >>
    >> please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)
    >>

    > http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btybb.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bty_adp.php?p_sid=erlgQYKi&p_faqid=6782
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2c99sz

    That guide is for Windows Outlook Express, the OP is using a MAC.

    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  11. Evan Platt

    Mike Easter Guest

    ded wrote:
    > "SJP"
    >> <steve>
    >>> how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    >>> broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.
    >>> im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac)

    >> http://tinyurl.com/2c99sz

    > That guide is for Windows Outlook Express, the OP is using a MAC.

    But the screenshots show that btinternet doesn't/didn't require a
    user/pass login (at the time of the screenshots), so the server must be
    configured to only allow bt IPs to access. The OP didn't say if the
    problem was related to trying to access from a non-bt IP.

    Currently news.btinternet.com is a giganews server.

    216.196.109.145 rDNS europe.isp.giganews.com

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: news.btinternet.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 216.196.109.145
    Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
    [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    200 News.GigaNews.Com
    Query complete.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 5, 2007
  12. Evan Platt

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-05, steve <steve> wrote:
    > just a quick question,
    > how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    > broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.
    > im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    > download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say
    > that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >
    > please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)

    I don't think you need to 'authenticate' with the btinternet news-server;
    it only lets you use it of you are connecting from a btinternet or
    btopenworld (or whatever it's called this month) internet connection. Try
    putting nothing at all in the username and password boxes, and if your
    newsreader has a selection box marked 'my news-server requires authentication'
    or something of the sort, un-select that box.

    ISP helpdesk people often don't know about usenet or much else either.
    Mostly it's just a matter of bad training of helpdesk grunts - they have a
    set script to follow and if you force them off that script they're lost.
    Mention 'Mac' or 'Unix' or 'Linux' and they're likely to panic.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 6, 2007
  13. Evan Platt

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, steve wrote:

    > just a quick question,
    > how do i get acess to 'News.btinternet.com'? im told i put my bt
    > broadband username ans password, but that comes up as invalid.
    > im trying to use a newsnet app called unison (mac) to connect to
    > download music and stuff, but when i call bt to ask about this they say
    > that theyve never even heard of newsgroups...
    >
    > please if anyone can help i would be verry greatfull :)

    When you put in a user name, you have three options right away if they
    don't give an example:

    or username or Firstname Lastname

    They might use any of those.

    Mitch, Sep 6, 2007
  14. Evan Platt

    steve a Guest

    On 2007-09-05 18:44:00 +0100, "ded" <> said:

    > <steve a> wrote in message news:...
    >> On 2007-09-05 18:12:17 +0100, Evan Platt
    >> <> said:

    >>> "invalid"?
    >>>
    >>> Try again.
    >>>
    >>> What is the EXACT error?

    >>> Try a different username - perhaps yourusername, or your e-mail
    >>> address.

    >> i get:
    >>
    >> The server said: "Access Denied via @btinternet.com auth server"
    >>
    >> Authentication failed. Are you sure you've entered your username and
    >> password correctly (including "unison/" before the username if it's a
    >> Unison Usenet account)? Perhaps you have gone over your transfer limit for
    >> the month? Is your news account still active? Just a few ideas!
    >>

    >> i have entered my username and password in fine...
    >>

    > I don't know what "unison" is.
    > I do know that BT outsource to giganews and that BT news access
    > is deemed to be one of the best available from a UK ISP.
    > On BT Broadband I don't think there is a limit (Though I maybe wrong?)
    >
    > As a MAC user, you could use Thunderbird as your news client.
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html#en
    >
    > Follow the tutorial to configure.
    > Tools>Account Settings
    > Server Name: news.btinternet.com
    > Server Setting: news.btinternet.com
    > Port: Default 119
    >
    > You Don't enter a username nor password, TB being configured to use
    > BT servers will connect via your BT connection settings.
    > It's very straightforward.

    cheers, Whiskers i did just put nothing in the password/username bit
    and it worked fine, what you say about it just being ready on a
    btinternet line sounds right, although i would never have found that
    out without everyones help on here, so a big thanks to u all:)

    the other poster was right: when i called india (bt customer services)
    to find out about all this they didnt even know what a newsgroup was,
    so what could i say to that really?:)

    a friend of mine told me that he was on the phone to the indian bt
    support a while back for about an hour just setting up his router, the
    thing is that hes got a broad welsh accent so the staff there were
    getting him to repeat himself about 5 times each sentence just to get
    it all done, lol i would love to have taped that conversation....

    steve a, Sep 6, 2007
  15. Evan Platt

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-09-06, steve a <steve> wrote:
    > On 2007-09-05 18:44:00 +0100, "ded" <> said:
    >

    >> <steve a> wrote in message news:...

    >>> i get:
    >>>
    >>> The server said: "Access Denied via @btinternet.com auth server"
    >>>
    >>> Authentication failed. Are you sure you've entered your username and
    >>> password correctly (including "unison/" before the username if it's a
    >>> Unison Usenet account)? Perhaps you have gone over your transfer limit for
    >>> the month? Is your news account still active? Just a few ideas!
    >>>

    >>> i have entered my username and password in fine...
    >>>

    >> I don't know what "unison" is.
    >> I do know that BT outsource to giganews and that BT news access
    >> is deemed to be one of the best available from a UK ISP.
    >> On BT Broadband I don't think there is a limit (Though I maybe wrong?)
    >>
    >> As a MAC user, you could use Thunderbird as your news client.
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html#en
    >>
    >> Follow the tutorial to configure.
    >> Tools>Account Settings
    >> Server Name: news.btinternet.com
    >> Server Setting: news.btinternet.com
    >> Port: Default 119
    >>
    >> You Don't enter a username nor password, TB being configured to use
    >> BT servers will connect via your BT connection settings.
    >> It's very straightforward.

    > cheers, Whiskers i did just put nothing in the password/username bit
    > and it worked fine, what you say about it just being ready on a
    > btinternet line sounds right, although i would never have found that
    > out without everyones help on here, so a big thanks to u all:)

    <chuckle> Now if we can get you posting your reponses by following up the
    article you're actually responding too ...

    > the other poster was right: when i called india (bt customer services)
    > to find out about all this they didnt even know what a newsgroup was,
    > so what could i say to that really?:)
    >
    > a friend of mine told me that he was on the phone to the indian bt
    > support a while back for about an hour just setting up his router, the
    > thing is that hes got a broad welsh accent so the staff there were
    > getting him to repeat himself about 5 times each sentence just to get
    > it all done, lol i would love to have taped that conversation....

    A British customer should be able to get help in Welsh or Gaelic, if
    preferred. I wonder if the out-sourced helpdesk services can manage that?
    (Cornish and BSL should be offered too, but perhaps that's a wish too far
    just yet even though they are 'official' languages).

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 6, 2007