    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿°
    SUSE 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp
    Malcolm, Aug 24, 2006

  2. In <> Malcolm wrote:
    > The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
    > 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
    > laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
    > 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
    > laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
    > Commission.
    >
    > Full Story;
    > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/tech/main1894909.shtml

    Score! I've just bought a used iBook G4 battery. Fingers crossed that
    when it gets here it will be one of the recalled ones so I can exchange
    it for a brand new one.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Aug 25, 2006

  3. Re: Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

    Malcolm wrote:
    > The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
    > 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4 laptops
    > sold in the United States from October 2003 through August 2006. The
    > recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in laptops sold
    > abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    >
    > Full Story;
    > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/tech/main1894909.shtml

    You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line

    Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
    Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 25, 2006
  4. Malcolm

    Colinco Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line
    >
    > Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
    > Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?

    Another recent Sony recall involved faulty CCDs in many brands of
    camera, not as dramatic but also would have cost millions.
    Colinco, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Malcolm

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

    Nathan Mercer scribbled:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
    > > 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
    > > laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
    > > 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
    > > laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
    > > Commission.
    > >
    > > Full Story;
    > > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/tech/main1894909.shtml

    > You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line
    >
    > Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
    > Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?

    Yet...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 26, 2006
  6. Malcolm

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

    Colinco scribbled:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom
    > > line
    > >
    > > Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple
    > > and Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this
    > > problem?

    > Another recent Sony recall involved faulty CCDs in many brands of
    > camera, not as dramatic but also would have cost millions.

    Had to get my F717 re-done with a new CCD because of this problem....
    It took 6 weeks through Harvey Norman (the retailer I bought the camera
    from) and Sony having to get the replacement CCD shipped from Singapore,
    sent to Australia, then finally to NZ...

    Sony have a World wide free CCD replacement program to fix the faulty
    cameras DVD/Video cameras, etc, including the US. But the lawyers in the US
    still bought a class action law suite against Sony.
    There were several other major manufacturers had the problem as well because
    they used the faulty Sony CCD's in their products.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 26, 2006
  7. Re: Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

    In <> Nathan
    Mercer wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
    >> 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
    >> laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
    >> 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
    >> laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
    >> Commission.
    >>
    >> Full Story;
    >> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/14/tech/main1894909.shtml

    > You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line

    from http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/25/sonybattery/

    "Sony expects the Apple and Dell recalls to cost between ?20 billion and
    ?30 billion (US$172 million to $258 million)."

    "That could put a dent in Sony's full-year financial results. The
    company currently forecasts both its operating profit and its net profit
    to be ?130 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007."

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 26, 2006