    the speed and price are fantastic, but I need to get news separately.

    Thanks for your help

    John

    John, Feb 17, 2004

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    newscene is pretty decent.

    Thor, Feb 17, 2004

  3. John

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > newscene is pretty decent.
    >
    > ..
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > I just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction for some
    > > of the best News Account Services for Usenet?
    > >
    > > I am getting a new broadband connection that doesn't include news, but
    > > the speed and price are fantastic, but I need to get news separately.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > John

    Too expensive for my text-only tastes. Any other suggestions for
    non-binary kinda guy, like me?

    mcp6453, Feb 17, 2004
  4. John

    Pepperoni Guest

    For non-binary use, sign up for a *FREE* account from:
    http://www.individual.net/
    They will email your log in details within a day or two.
    Registration and use of this NetNews service are free of charge. This server
    is operated by the computer center of Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.

    You are required to use a *WORKING* email address for posting. (Use a
    hotmail or other throwaway account for posting to prevent unwanted spam and
    virus to your primary accounts) Read the FAQ.

    This is the new name for the former CIS.dfn.de servers. It is the best free
    service available. Very complete and well maintained, good retention. No
    Binaries.
    easy setup, instructions for most mail programs detailed at this URL.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Feb 17, 2004
  5. John

    bambam Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction for
    > some of the best News Account Services for Usenet?
    >
    > I am getting a new broadband connection that doesn't include news,
    > but the speed and price are fantastic, but I need to get news
    > separately.

    Free, text only, very good-

    http://news.individual.net/index.html

    --
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

    bambam, Feb 17, 2004
  6. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Too expensive for my text-only tastes. Any other suggestions for
    > non-binary kinda guy, like me?

    Supernews. Get a Supernews individual account. You can get a text only
    account for $4.95 a month. This includes any group outside of the binaries
    (such as alt.binaries.*). If you /really/ want to go all out, you can get
    a 3GB/month regular account (text and binaries, if you need the occasional
    binary) for $5.95 a month (which is what I pay).

    Supernews has the #1 spam filters in the business, you'll barely see any at
    all. Text retention is in the ballpark of 250 days, single part binaries
    is around 30 days, multipart is around 10 to 15 days. Completion is good,
    speed is good, price is good.

    No, I don't work for them, I've just been a long time subscriber since way
    back in like 1996 when I was on dialup.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 17, 2004
  7. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in news:c0tnm8$1bv0o1$1@ID-
    105689.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > easy setup, instructions for most mail programs detailed at this URL.

    ^^^^^
    You obviously mean most usenet clients.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 17, 2004
  8. John

    Pepperoni Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in news:c0tnm8$1bv0o1$1@ID-
    > 105689.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > easy setup, instructions for most mail programs detailed at this URL.

    > ^^^^^
    > You obviously mean most usenet clients.

    If it is obvious, I suppose your post is redundant.

    Pepperoni, Feb 17, 2004
  9. John

    joaquino Guest

    I can recommend teranews. The "free" package allows 50mb per day download.
    Should be more than enough for text only. It does require $4 one-time
    set-up fee. Completion rate and newsgroup selection is surprisingly good,
    way better than prodigy/ sbcyahoo.

    joaquino, Feb 17, 2004
  10. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:24:46 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Too expensive for my text-only tastes. Any other suggestions for
    >> non-binary kinda guy, like me?

    >Supernews. Get a Supernews individual account. You can get a text only
    >account for $4.95 a month. This includes any group outside of the binaries
    >(such as alt.binaries.*). If you /really/ want to go all out, you can get
    >a 3GB/month regular account (text and binaries, if you need the occasional
    >binary) for $5.95 a month (which is what I pay).
    >
    >Supernews has the #1 spam filters in the business, you'll barely see any at
    >all. Text retention is in the ballpark of 250 days, single part binaries
    >is around 30 days, multipart is around 10 to 15 days. Completion is good,
    >speed is good, price is good.
    >
    >No, I don't work for them, I've just been a long time subscriber since way
    >back in like 1996 when I was on dialup.

    Just don't pay them on an annual basis...if they even still have that
    option.

    I paid them in advance for a year...many years ago...then got banned.
    Lost most of the year.

    Worked out good, though. Moved over to Giganews...never looked back.

    Always pay month-to-month.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 18, 2004
  11. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > I paid them in advance for a year...many years ago...then got banned.
    > Lost most of the year.

    What did you do to get banned? Gotta be pretty stupid...

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 18, 2004
  12. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:46:26 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> I paid them in advance for a year...many years ago...then got banned.
    >> Lost most of the year.

    >What did you do to get banned? Gotta be pretty stupid...

    It was! lol But it makes no difference whether its stupid or not.
    They have control...and their decision is final.

    Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson...and have never prepaid
    more than a month in advance since then...for any Internet service.

    That learned philosophy has worked out very well.

    We had a large ISP in my area go out business about a year ago. They
    were offering about a 25% discount for anybody that bought their
    service for an entire year in advance. And many did...and lost a
    coupla hundred bucks in the process.

    Supernews got me one time...they won't get me again.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 19, 2004
  13. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > Supernews got me one time...they won't get me again.

    You didn't answer my question as to what you did. I don't see any reason
    not to prepay in advance for supernews, unless you don't follow the rules
    that you agree when you subscribe.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 19, 2004
  14. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:14:22 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> Supernews got me one time...they won't get me again.

    >You didn't answer my question as to what you did. I don't see any reason
    >not to prepay in advance for supernews, unless you don't follow the rules
    >that you agree when you subscribe.

    What if you interpret the rules differently?

    YOUR interpretation doesn't matter, you realize. If they say you've
    violated the rules...you HAVE.

    This is not just true with Supernews. This is true with any provider.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 19, 2004
  15. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > What if you interpret the rules differently?
    >
    > YOUR interpretation doesn't matter, you realize. If they say you've
    > violated the rules...you HAVE.

    How differently do you have to interpret rules to be banned, Trent? As I
    speak with the supernews guys a few times a week, I know they aren't idiots
    who randomly ban people. The only people who end up banned are spammers,
    copyright violators, people who intentionally attempt to degrade the system
    or do things other than read and post articles, and people who repeatedly
    nymshift. And almost without a doubt those people are warned at least once
    to stop.

    As you refuse to state what you were doing that caused them to ban you, I
    assume you were doing one of the above which is grounds for being banned
    from anywhere, not just a NNTP server.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 19, 2004
  16. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:42:02 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> What if you interpret the rules differently?
    >>
    >> YOUR interpretation doesn't matter, you realize. If they say you've
    >> violated the rules...you HAVE.
    >>

    >How differently do you have to interpret rules to be banned, Trent?

    ANY variation...that's what 'different' implies. lol

    >As I
    >speak with the supernews guys a few times a week,

    ? And you SPEAK to them? Things HAVE changed.

    > I know they aren't idiots
    >who randomly ban people.

    Things HAVE changed.

    >The only people who end up banned are spammers,

    What's yer definition of a spammer?..not that that would make any
    difference.

    >copyright violators, people who intentionally attempt to degrade the system
    >or do things other than read and post articles, and people who repeatedly
    >nymshift.

    Probably 98%...or some other high number...of their customers do the
    above. Only a SELECTED FEW are the ones that they act on.

    >And almost without a doubt those people are warned at least once
    >to stop.

    ALMOST without a doubt? I think I made my point.

    And I was NEVER warned...just dropped.

    >As you refuse to state what you were doing that caused them to ban you, I
    >assume you were doing one of the above which is grounds for being banned
    >from anywhere, not just a NNTP server.

    My point was made about SuperNews...and ANY ISP. Be careful...if
    they're workin' with your money. They don't hafta give a reason to
    ban you...and you'll be out the balance...and with no ISP.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 20, 2004
  17. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:42:02 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> What if you interpret the rules differently?
    >>
    >> YOUR interpretation doesn't matter, you realize. If they say you've
    >> violated the rules...you HAVE.
    >>

    >How differently do you have to interpret rules to be banned, Trent? As I
    >speak with the supernews guys a few times a week, I know they aren't idiots
    >who randomly ban people. The only people who end up banned are spammers,
    >copyright violators, people who intentionally attempt to degrade the system
    >or do things other than read and post articles, and people who repeatedly
    >nymshift. And almost without a doubt those people are warned at least once
    >to stop.
    >
    >As you refuse to state what you were doing that caused them to ban you, I
    >assume you were doing one of the above which is grounds for being banned
    >from anywhere, not just a NNTP server.

    My guess is that he pissed someone off, and they knew what rules he had
    violated. They carefully worded a complaint and that's all it took. You DO
    remember Trent's behavior a few years back in the win95 and win98 groups?

    8^)>

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Feb 20, 2004