Newer memory stick compatability with Cybershot P71?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jalexthomas@gmail.com, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I am shopping for some additional media for my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P71
    digital camera, and I see that Sony's line of Memory Stick media
    products has changed a bit since I last purchased some. I see that
    there is now Memory Stick Pro, which almost certainly will NOT work
    with my P71, but there is also the "standard" memory stick, which now
    has "Magic Gate" technology built into it. I visited Sony's website,
    and the "Magic Gate" memory appears to be the only "classic" Memory
    Stick media they offer. A closer look at the compatability list and it
    does not appear that my camera is compatible with this newer media. See
    here:

    "http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=acc_MemoryStickMedia_OriginalMemoryStickMedia&ProductSKU=MSH128&TabName=comp&var2=

    The question is: will this newer "Magic Gate" memory work in my camera
    (but perhaps lose some of its enhanced features), or will I have to
    actually find some of the (now apparently rare) original media
    elsewhere?

    Thanks a bunch in advance.

    JT

    , Aug 7, 2006

  2. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am shopping for some additional media for my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P71
    > digital camera, and I see that Sony's line of Memory Stick media
    > products has changed a bit since I last purchased some. I see that
    > there is now Memory Stick Pro, which almost certainly will NOT work
    > with my P71, but there is also the "standard" memory stick, which now
    > has "Magic Gate" technology built into it. I visited Sony's website,
    > and the "Magic Gate" memory appears to be the only "classic" Memory
    > Stick media they offer. A closer look at the compatability list and it
    > does not appear that my camera is compatible with this newer media. See
    > here:
    >
    > "http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Disp
    > layProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=acc_MemoryStickMedia_OriginalMemorySt
    > ickMedia&ProductSKU=MSH128&TabName=comp&var2=
    >
    > The question is: will this newer "Magic Gate" memory work in my camera
    > (but perhaps lose some of its enhanced features), or will I have to
    > actually find some of the (now apparently rare) original media
    > elsewhere?

    Magic Gate was intended to be used in their digital movie cameras. Try
    looking at alternative manufacturers - Sandisk for one. Also the
    Minolta/Konica cameras used memory sticks. The 'classic' Sony media is
    rare because they want you to junk and replace (with another Sony, of
    course)

    Stewy, Aug 8, 2006

  3. m Ransley Guest

    Sony has gone to Duo a smaller card that comes with an adaptor for
    regular stick. If you buy a regular old card now it wont work on any new
    sony products, if you ever buy one. Pro has to do with speed and temp
    ratings and should work for you.

    m Ransley, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Guest

    , Aug 8, 2006