    Monitors, etc. ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Oct 27, 2009

  2. "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    news:hc7j71$i85$-september.org...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    > Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    > Monitors, etc. ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    Bought many times from NewEgg-- including several big ticket items. Never a
    problem.

    John H. Holliday, Oct 27, 2009

  3. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.

    I can recommend both but.... here's something weird, I was shopping for
    something, can't remember what? The best price was Amazon.com so I
    bought it from them and... it came from Tiger Direct! Tiger Direct had
    a higher price on their website but???? How can that be?

    > Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    > Monitors, etc. ?

    Frys.com, Staples, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, etc. all have online stores
    and, if you're a member, don't overlook Costco and Sam's Club.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Oct 27, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Jordon Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    > Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    > Monitors, etc. ?

    I've bought a bunch of stuff, from both. I have no
    complaints but I've never had to return anything,
    with the exception of an SD card from NewEgg. In
    the last five years I've bought maybe 15 computers,
    10 monitors, a firewall appliance, several switches,
    hard drives, memory, you name it. I even have a
    server I bought from Tiger Direct that's been trouble
    free for three years (knock on wood).

    I guess my only complaint is with Tiger Direct. I
    enter their daily giveaway contest and I've never
    won.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Oct 27, 2009
  5. Robert11

    floffy Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:55:11 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    >Any opinions on either of them ?
    >e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    >Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    >Monitors, etc. ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >B.

    I buy from tigetdirect it's not better or cheaper
    it the same price !

    floffy, Oct 27, 2009
  6. Robert11

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:hc7j71$i85$-september.org "Robert11"
    <> wrote:

    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.

    I've been buying from NewEgg for years and have never had a problem with
    them (or even with anything I've bought from them, although I don't
    suppose they have much to do with that), so I can't comment on their
    customer service or return policies :)

    They've been absolutely solid and reliable, delivering what was
    advertised, sometimes with startling speed.

    I might (maybe) save a buck or two buying elsewhere, but I don't see any
    reason to mess with something that works.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 27, 2009
  7. Robert11

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:21:09 -0700, Steve <> wrote:

    >In article <hc7j71$i85$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >>
    >> Any opinions on either of them ?
    >> e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >>
    >> Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    >> Monitors, etc. ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> B.

    >Newegg excellent. Tiger, not so hot.
    >
    >Below Newegg above Tiger:
    >Zipzoomfly
    >Mwave
    >Directron

    New Egg , seems to be it. I agree. Pretty good prices and all, Just
    got a printer and 750 gig sata drive today. Ordered it yesterday on a
    3 day free shipping, It arrived today One day. Oh yeah I got the
    printer for free with the combo deal.

    joevan, Oct 27, 2009
  8. Robert11

    Grinder Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    > Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    > Monitors, etc. ?

    Another vote for NewEgg.

    TigerDirect's customer support used to be awful, but maybe they have
    improved. They seem to keep having class actions filed against them for
    their rebate practices, but the action is later dismissed.

    I personally had a really bad experience with them about 10 years ago
    and swore off them for a couple of years. Now, I sometimes check out
    their offerings, but they've never had a better selection, or better
    prices than newegg.

    Grinder, Oct 27, 2009
  9. Robert11

    cully when Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    > Any opinions on either of them ?
    > e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    > Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    > Monitors, etc. ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    Have used Tiger Direct; good experience. The one problem item I bought
    was returned with no problem.

    cully when, Oct 27, 2009
  10. Robert11

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <hc7j71$i85$-september.org> "Robert11"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >
    >Any opinions on either of them ?
    >e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >
    >Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    >Monitors, etc. ?

    I'd avoid TigerDirect unless there are no other options. At a minimum,
    be aware that they have had a bit of an email diarrhea problem in the
    past (spam slipping through despite the fact that you opted out during
    purchase), and I started getting scam-spam (419s, fake designer bags,
    drugs, etc) to an address that was given exclusively to TigerDirect.

    This was probably 2004 though, I have no idea if it's an ongoing issue,
    I occasionally do order from TigerDirect, but the email address I use
    with them only stays valid from the time I place an order until the time
    it arrives, then it ceases to be valid.

    Their quality control has gone up over the years, they seem to have
    given up shipping refurbs and open box stuff when the customer thought
    they were buying new, so it's possible they've turned over a new leaf
    since the various hassles I've had with them in the now-distant past.

    Newegg is hit and miss for me, they just recently started shipping to
    Canada, but their pricing is all over the place on the Canadian site,
    sometimes being significantly higher then retail, other times even
    beating eBay. I've never had any issues, they ship quickly though and
    have a decent reputation for customer service.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 27, 2009
  11. Robert11

    philo Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:21:09 -0700, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <hc7j71$i85$-september.org>,
    >> lid says...
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Have never bought from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct.
    >>>
    >>> Any opinions on either of them ?
    >>> e.g., reliability, customer service, pricing, return policy, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Other than Amazon perhaps, and these two, any recommended source for
    >>> Monitors, etc. ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> B.

    >> Newegg excellent. Tiger, not so hot.
    >>
    >> Below Newegg above Tiger:
    >> Zipzoomfly
    >> Mwave
    >> Directron

    > New Egg , seems to be it. I agree. Pretty good prices and all, Just
    > got a printer and 750 gig sata drive today. Ordered it yesterday on a
    > 3 day free shipping, It arrived today One day. Oh yeah I got the
    > printer for free with the combo deal.

    I've done most of my on-line purchasing from New-Egg and have never had
    the slightest problem...

    for a small restocking fee they've even let me return items that through
    my own carelessness had ordered wrong.

    With Tiger Direct...though in general they were OK...
    there were a few times they made me jump through hoops to get a rebate
    voucher...and once they jacked me around so long, by the time I got it
    sorted out...the voucher had expired

    One thing I really liked about New-Egg is that a few times I saved a ton
    of money by getting an "open box" special.

    The items were very well priced and there was no problem with the parts.

    Plus, they did have a 15 day guarantee, so I figured that if the parts
    were bad, I'd at least be able to return them

    philo, Oct 27, 2009
  12. Robert11

    gregg Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > joevan wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:21:09 -0700, Steve <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <hc7j71$i85$-september.org>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> Newegg excellent. Tiger, not so hot.
    >>>
    >>> Below Newegg above Tiger:
    >>> Zipzoomfly
    >>> Mwave
    >>> Directron

    >> New Egg , seems to be it. I agree. Pretty good prices and all, Just
    >> got a printer and 750 gig sata drive today. Ordered it yesterday on a
    >> 3 day free shipping, It arrived today One day. Oh yeah I got the
    >> printer for free with the combo deal.

    > I've done most of my on-line purchasing from New-Egg and have never had
    > the slightest problem...
    >
    > for a small restocking fee they've even let me return items that through
    > my own carelessness had ordered wrong.
    >

    > With Tiger Direct...though in general they were OK...
    > there were a few times they made me jump through hoops to get a rebate
    > voucher...and once they jacked me around so long, by the time I got it
    > sorted out...the voucher had expired

    I agree with the rebate thing and Tiger Direct. I stay away from rebates,
    because generally they are more irritating than worth. Other than that Tiger
    Direct and New Egg are both good. I had pre-ordered Win 7 and my card number
    changed and order was cancelled, but New Egg corrected this when I called
    and shipped the $49.00 upgrade. As an aside, I really like Windows 7, but I
    don't know if I would have upgraded Vista at full price. If you have XP
    still it would be a super upgrade. I know there are still XP die-hards out
    there, but there are some Win 98 folks still plugging away also. :) Anyhow I
    have used both for years with no complaints.

    gregg, Oct 27, 2009
  13. Robert11

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:07:47 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    >gregg wrote:
    >>

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've done most of my on-line purchasing from New-Egg and have never
    >>> had the slightest problem...
    >>>
    >>> for a small restocking fee they've even let me return items that
    >>> through my own carelessness had ordered wrong.
    >>>

    >>> With Tiger Direct...though in general they were OK...
    >>> there were a few times they made me jump through hoops to get a rebate
    >>> voucher...and once they jacked me around so long, by the time I got it
    >>> sorted out...the voucher had expired
    >>>

    >> I agree with the rebate thing and Tiger Direct. I stay away from
    >> rebates, because generally they are more irritating than worth. Other
    >> than that Tiger Direct and New Egg are both good. I had pre-ordered Win
    >> 7 and my card number changed and order was cancelled, but New Egg
    >> corrected this when I called and shipped the $49.00 upgrade. As an
    >> aside, I really like Windows 7, but I don't know if I would have
    >> upgraded Vista at full price. If you have XP still it would be a super
    >> upgrade. I know there are still XP die-hards out there, but there are
    >> some Win 98 folks still plugging away also. :) Anyhow I have used both
    >> for years with no complaints.

    >I had been using XP for many years and liked it until I got a root kit...
    >then I got paranoid and switched to Linux.
    >
    >I had a look at Vista but it ran terribly on my machine...
    >so I am still using Linux ...
    >but did a test install of Win7...but I think I'm still going to stay
    >with Linux...
    >How secure is Win7 as far as getting malware such as a root kit?
    >
    >I'm guessing it's better than XP...
    >but have not used it enough to really know

    I got the machine I am using now from New Egg for less than 400 bucks.
    It is a Toshiba laptop and I have been using it now for 6 months or
    more and it has been great. It came with vista installed and the only
    thing is that I have to do is tell it each time I open agent to allow
    it. Small thing, I know how to defeat that problem but I consider the
    problem small so I let it ride.
    Oh yeah, I installed bit defender after uninstalling, Norton and
    also went through the registry for Norton stuff and got rid of it all.
    I use it without the battery as a desktop connected to my broadband
    connection. Smooth all around.
    If on a rare occurrence I want portability, I put the battery in and
    charge it or take the charger with me.

    joevan, Oct 27, 2009