    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Mar 13, 2006

  2. Neil Guest

    did you hear Ryan () say in news:4415a08b$0$5494
    $:

    > Been using NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 for nearly 2 years.

    whoa, aging products that are really over due for an upgrade. Might be
    time to have a look the MS product lifecycle page (like about 4 years
    ago)

    > We have training
    > approved with one of the best providers/most known in town.

    ok, names or location please?

    > However
    > it is all online.

    oy! 'k, the single most difficult part for a student taking an online
    course IMHO, is staying interested. If there are online chats with the
    instructor, make sure you show up for them. Ask the instructor to give
    you additional work to do. if you don't, you might as well just do a self
    paced CBT course. my $0.02

    > I am asking here, what would be good supplemental
    > learning resources besides a quality online only center.

    the instructor's experience is the most useful additional resource. If
    he.she has none, you might want to check out the product itself. Grab the
    eval copies of the product and work with it. help files are good too.

    > Haven't
    > really used Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 before, but I may have to
    > install it on some old craptastic pc's at home to get familiar.

    nothing beats experience. work with it.

    > Quick learner, just never really delved into it yet. Wish to get
    > MCSE within 6 months, almost ready to take CCNA test, but that is a
    > seperate issue, so I have the drive to learn. ETc,

    don't try to make it a race to a finish line. If it takes you 6 months to
    get your MCSE greatm but don't be doing the tests before you are ready.
    and stay away from the braindumps.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - People who go to conferences are the ones who shouldn't.

    Neil, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Hi Ryan,
    We created a Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) course 1560 that was
    specifically at moving the skills of an NT4 person up to Windows 2000. I'm
    not sure if you can still find one, but it would be a great first step. Once
    you have gone through that material, the best way to gain insight into
    Windows Server 2003 (in my opinion) and the delta between 2000 and 2003 is
    to read the book Don Jones wrote on the subject.

    If you have trouble finding either of those, in Help and support there is
    typically and overview that talks specifically about the differences from
    the previous version to the new version. However, the difference between
    2000 and 2003 is like the difference between Netware 3.11 and 4.0;
    completely different architecture for the network...

    Playing with the product is great, but those will give you an idea of where
    to start.

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Mar 14, 2006
  4. Wayne Guest

    "Andy Ruth [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Ryan,

    <snip>
    >However, the difference between 2000 and 2003 is like the difference
    >between Netware 3.11 and 4.0; completely different architecture for the
    >network...

    Shouldn't that read "the difference between NT4 and 2000/2003 .. " ? NT4 =
    flat domain, single file / Netware 3.11 = flat structure, single file.
    2000/2003 = x.500 directory / Netware 4.0 = x.500 directory.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver
    MCP NT 3.51 and Windows 95