    through the internet from my desktop computer by setting up an ODBC
    connection and specifying the IP address of the host's server?

    Thanks -Joe
    Joe Black, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Joe Black wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a website that uses sql server as the back end
    > database hosted by an ISP, and be able to connect to the sql server database
    > through the internet from my desktop computer by setting up an ODBC
    > connection and specifying the IP address of the host's server?

    Yes, although your ability to do this would depend on the type of
    hosting you purchased. If they host your own server, this shouldn't be a
    problem. If you purchase Web hosting and they provide access to a
    database, this access may be restricted to their Web server only, not to
    remote hosts.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 2, 2006