    I can keep my current dial-up without making any changes to the PC and
    phone jack? If so, when I dial up, does it override the DSL?

    Thanks

    Jack, Aug 27, 2008

  2. Jack

    ian field Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A company that is not a phone co. offered a contract for stand alone
    > DSL.
    >
    > 1) If DSL is always on, does that mean that you're connected to the
    > Internet everytime the machine is booted up? Isn't there a switch to
    > turn it off and on?

    Keep the modem within easy reach of your chair - then you can pull the power
    jack when you're not working online.

    ian field, Aug 27, 2008

  3. Jack

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-27, Jack <> wrote:
    > A company that is not a phone co. offered a contract for stand alone
    > DSL.
    >
    > 1) If DSL is always on, does that mean that you're connected to the
    > Internet everytime the machine is booted up? Isn't there a switch to
    > turn it off and on?

    my DSL modem has no switch, if I want to turn it off I unplug it,
    if I only want it off temporarily I disconnect the cable that connects
    it to the computer.

    > 2) I want to keep a cheap dial-up ISP as a back-up. If all of the
    > hardware is installed outside on the NID phone box, isn't it true that
    > I can keep my current dial-up without making any changes to the PC and
    > phone jack? If so, when I dial up, does it override the DSL?

    Yes you can keep dialup, some DSL provides may offer free dialup to
    their DSL customers. I have that and an inexpensive pay-per-use only
    dial-up account, so I'm covered unless the phone line gets damaged.

    which has precidence when both are on depends on the setup, and the
    software you use, but I expect that usually the one that was most
    recently started will be the one that gets used for new connections.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 28, 2008
  4. Jack

    ian field Guest

    "Jasen Betts" <> wrote in message news:g961pm$tdq$5@gonzo...
    > On 2008-08-27, Jack <> wrote:
    >> A company that is not a phone co. offered a contract for stand alone
    >> DSL.
    >>
    >> 1) If DSL is always on, does that mean that you're connected to the
    >> Internet everytime the machine is booted up? Isn't there a switch to
    >> turn it off and on?

    > my DSL modem has no switch, if I want to turn it off I unplug it,
    > if I only want it off temporarily I disconnect the cable that connects
    > it to the computer.
    >
    >> 2) I want to keep a cheap dial-up ISP as a back-up. If all of the
    >> hardware is installed outside on the NID phone box, isn't it true that
    >> I can keep my current dial-up without making any changes to the PC and
    >> phone jack? If so, when I dial up, does it override the DSL?

    > Yes you can keep dialup, some DSL provides may offer free dialup to
    > their DSL customers. I have that and an inexpensive pay-per-use only
    > dial-up account, so I'm covered unless the phone line gets damaged.

    If you also have a dial up modem - always unplug it from the phone jack
    whenever you're not using it, there are rogue dialler programs floating
    about the net which if they get into your PC will dial a premium rate number
    and clean your wallet out!

    This has even been known to happen while the user is using the PC online,
    the rogue dialler quietly drops the line and redials at premium rate - one
    of the electronics magazines published a circuit to prevent this.

    About 200 turns of magnet wire are wound round a reed relay, this is
    connected in series with the reed relay and a pushbutton is wired in
    parallel with the reed, this is put in series with one of the phone wires.
    The button must be held in to complete the circuit until the modem has
    established the off-hook line current thereafter the line current through
    the coil keeps the reed latched, if a rogue dialler drops the line ready to
    re-dial the relay drops out and the connection cannot be made.

    ian field, Aug 29, 2008
  5. I made a switchbox from a Bud Radio minibox. 2 toggle switches and
    indicator lights. One AC outlet for the modem and one for the router. Easy
    to turn off the stuff.

    Eugene A. Pallat, Sep 3, 2008