Newby question: memory cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Barry Goldwater, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Is CompactFlash (Kodak) the same as an SD Memory Card, or Multimedia
    Card (as required by my new Minolta Dimage E223)? Thanks in advance.

    Barry Goldwater, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Barry Goldwater

    Mikey S. Guest

    nope, they are different formats and sizes
    CF ( compact Flash)

    SD (Secure Digital)
    MMC (Multimedia card)
    ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
    them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

    other formats include
    XD ( I forget what that stands for)
    Memory Stick ( for Sony only)
    SM ( Smart Media)

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Jan 15, 2004

  3. Barry Goldwater

    Gwilym Calon Guest

    "Mikey S." <> wrote in message
    > nope, they are different formats and sizes
    > CF ( compact Flash)
    >
    > SD (Secure Digital)
    > MMC (Multimedia card)
    > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
    > them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)
    >
    > other formats include
    > XD ( I forget what that stands for)
    > Memory Stick ( for Sony only)
    > SM ( Smart Media)

    But if you buy an 8-in-1 card reader, it will accept all of the above formats
    (and only cost a little more than a single-type reader).

    -------------
    GC

    Gwilym Calon, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Pt. 2: Newby question: memory cards

    "Mikey S." <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > SD (Secure Digital)
    > MMC (Multimedia card)
    > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
    > them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

    I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of SD vs. MMC?

    Barry Goldwater, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Barry Goldwater

    fruitbat Guest

    Re: Pt. 2: Newby question: memory cards

    On 1/16/2004, Barry Goldwater wrote:

    > "Mikey S." <> wrote in message
    > > SD (Secure Digital)
    > > MMC (Multimedia card)
    > > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras
    > > that use them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

    > I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of
    > SD vs. MMC?

    Well, for one, right now SD is between 20% and 60% more expensive for
    the same amount of storage, depending on the brand and capacity. For
    example, at B&H, a 256MB Lexar 4x CF card is $53. A 256MB Lexar SD card
    is $70. Bump the size up to 512MB, and the prices are $125 for CF and a
    whopping $200 for SD! Note also that SD isn't available in the sizes
    that CF is (SD right now maxes out at 512MB it seems, while CF goes up
    to 4GB and more).

    So, to summarize:

    CF
    Pros: Larger capacities, wider support?, cheaper, wider brand selection

    SD
    Pros: Smaller physical size, security features?

    There are probably other factors, but those are the big ones, as far as
    I'm concerned.

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Barry Goldwater

    Hyun Guest

    Re: Pt. 2: Newby question: memory cards

    (Barry Goldwater) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Mikey S." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    > > SD (Secure Digital)
    > > MMC (Multimedia card)
    > > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
    > > them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

    > I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of SD vs. MMC?

    There is one large advantage of using SD cards over MMC cards - speed.
    SD cards may be more expensive but you can always get them on sale.
    I would spend the extra $$ for a fast SD card since future cameras
    will work faster with them in terms of shutter lag, etc.

    Arthur Lee
    http://www.best-digital-photos.com

    Hyun, Jan 20, 2004
  7. "Mikey S." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > nope, they are different formats and sizes
    > CF ( compact Flash)
    >
    > SD (Secure Digital)
    > MMC (Multimedia card)
    > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
    > them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

    As my newbie journey into digital cameradom has progressed, I wound up
    going to Fry's electronics, and purchasing a PMCCIA adapter for my
    laptop, plus, a 64MB MMC card, because they had it in stock. I had
    initially misunderstood the above post, thinking that SD being faster
    meant that it would more rapidly transfer data to the computer -- I
    now understand that it has to do with shutter speed, and SD apparently
    causes fewer blurs if the subject should move. Assuming that I got
    that right -- correct me if I'm wrong -- my next question is, what
    about the 8MB internal memory in my camera? Is is relatively faster or
    slower, shutter-wise, than the memory card?

    Again, thanks to all you helpful responders.

    Barry Goldwater, Feb 4, 2004