Newbuild PC Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Matty, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Matty

    Matty Guest

    I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
    Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
    On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
    All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
    enter to install windows.
    Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
    It had definately hung.
    So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
    line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
    CD.
    When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
    CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
    enter to install windows.
    I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
    keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
    formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
    Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
    tits then please confirm!!

    MAny thanks in advance

    Matty

    Matty, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Matty

    jch Guest

    Sounds like it could be the board or maybe the onboard controller. Can you
    disable the onboard HD controller in bios and put in a PCI controller card
    to see if that works? Or... try another (smaller) HD and see what happens.
    Maybe the mobo you have is just having trouble with that particular HD.

    jch, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Matty

    Walt R Guest

    "Matty" <> wrote in message news:<bmrkik$8rt$>...
    > I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
    > Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
    > On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
    > All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
    > enter to install windows.
    > Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
    > It had definately hung.
    > So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
    > line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
    > CD.
    > When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
    > CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
    > enter to install windows.
    > I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
    > keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
    > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
    > Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
    > tits then please confirm!!
    >
    > MAny thanks in advance
    >
    > Matty

    Several things need to be checked:
    Double check the cpu jumpers, if it gets too hot you may get
    odd symptoms.
    Is the WindowsXP CD actually functional?
    Does the CD drive work correctly?
    Will the system boot up another operation system?
    Boot up the system in DOS or linux, fdisk and format the harddrive.

    Good Luck!
    Walt R.

    Walt R, Oct 18, 2003
  4. In article <bmrkik$8rt$>,
    says...
    > I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
    > Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
    > On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
    > All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
    > enter to install windows.
    > Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
    > It had definately hung.
    > So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
    > line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
    > CD.
    > When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
    > CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
    > enter to install windows.
    > I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
    > keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
    > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
    > Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
    > tits then please confirm!!
    >
    > MAny thanks in advance
    >
    > Matty

    Don't take this personally, But, was it a Legit Copy? And were you
    connected to the Internet in any way..Ethernet, Cable Modem, DSL, any
    possible way, where the software could find a way to reach MS Servers
    do a quick check in a zillionth of a second, and then pipe some
    data back to screw up your machine. This is a common scenario
    I am seeing more and more, in my day to day travels.

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Matty

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Matty" <> wrote in message
    > I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
    > Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
    > On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
    > All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said

    press
    > enter to install windows.
    > Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the

    screen.
    > It had definately hung.
    > So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI

    DataPool
    > line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
    > CD.
    > When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
    > CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the

    press
    > enter to install windows.
    > I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
    > keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
    > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
    > Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the

    mobo
    > tits then please confirm!!

    That's an old model mobo, and, while I'm running one at the moment on this
    machine (XP2200+) and it's fine, I certainly wouldn't be doing a new build
    with one. They are limited to 266FSB, no independant PCI/AGP adjustment, no
    vcore adjustment, no multiplier settings. You can up the FSB but it puts the
    PCI and AGP busses out of spec.

    If I were you, I'd return the mobo and get a cheap nForce2 chip-set board.
    Soltek do one cheaply and I've had absolutely no problems with them. I've
    used a couple on builds for mates and just wish I could afford to replace
    mine with one.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Hang on - have you any evidence - cold, hard evidence like captured
    network traffic - that would prove that any MS product did this check
    as you describe. Becausae MS don't admit to this happening: they rely
    on activation.

    And in this case, can you suggest how the possible internet connection
    can be fnctioning without an installed OS? The Windows XP CD on its
    own cannot initiate an Internet connection.

    Gordon Findlay, Oct 19, 2003

  7. > >In article <bmrkik$8rt$>,
    > > says...
    > >> I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
    > >> Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
    > >> On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
    > >> All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said

    press
    > >> enter to install windows.
    > >> Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the

    screen.
    > >> It had definately hung.
    > >> So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI

    DataPool
    > >> line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting

    from
    > >> CD.
    > >> When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from

    the
    > >> CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the

    press
    > >> enter to install windows.
    > >> I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
    > >> keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
    > >> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > >> So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
    > >> Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the

    mobo
    > >> tits then please confirm!!
    > >>
    > >> MAny thanks in advance
    > >>
    > >> Matty
    > >>

    > > Don't take this personally, But, was it a Legit Copy? And were you
    > > connected to the Internet in any way..Ethernet, Cable Modem, DSL, any
    > > possible way, where the software could find a way to reach MS Servers
    > > do a quick check in a zillionth of a second, and then pipe some
    > > data back to screw up your machine. This is a common scenario
    > > I am seeing more and more, in my day to day travels.

    Uh, no operating system installed and it's contacting Microsoft??? What a
    load :)

    John E. Carty, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Matty

    Raymond Guest

    In fact the HDD is
    formatting and partitioning as I write this.

    Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
    cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as well
    use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.

    Raymond, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Matty

    Matty Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message

    > In fact the HDD is
    > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > >>>

    > Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
    > cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

    well
    > use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.

    Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.

    It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
    message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
    fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
    setting!
    This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
    partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
    used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!

    In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
    works fine.

    Any more thoughts????

    Cheers Matty

    Matty, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Matty

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:50:30 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Matty"
    <> wrote :

    >"Raymond" <> wrote in message
    >> >>>

    >> In fact the HDD is
    >> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    >> >>>

    >> Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
    >> cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

    >well
    >> use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.
    >>

    >Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.
    >
    >It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
    >message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
    >fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
    >setting!
    >This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
    >partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
    >used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!
    >
    >In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
    >works fine.
    >
    >Any more thoughts????
    >
    >Cheers Matty

    Pull power cord and try clearing the CMOS again?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 19, 2003
  11. In article <bmuisq$8rc$>,
    says...

    > "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > > >>>

    > > In fact the HDD is
    > > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
    > > >>>

    > > Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
    > > cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

    > well
    > > use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.
    > >

    > Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.
    >
    > It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
    > message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
    > fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
    > setting!
    > This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
    > partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
    > used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!
    >
    > In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
    > works fine.
    >
    > Any more thoughts????
    >
    > Cheers Matty

    I think your prognosis is correct, and these types of problems can be
    the most vexing of any computer problem we will ever encounter.
    Besides my everyday computer repairs for customers, I have been working
    my way through 7 pallets(aprox 100 CPU's) of used late model DELL Towers
    and Desktops that I bought at auction several months ago. Aprox 5-6 out
    of the 75 or so I have checked so far, have exhibited the same "symptoms"
    you have described here.

    I was wondering how you would take it when I asked about the Windows XP
    CD and whether it was legit or not, but you handled it good, not getting
    defensive, and keeping an open mind.

    When I made the reference to Software dialing out, and checking with
    servers, as to verify the product or legality of the installation, I knew
    I would ruffle someones feathers, but this is hardly a new concept or
    Technology in the world of Software.

    It was first developed and used by a company called Sausage Software, way
    back in 1996. Since then, it has been utilised by many other companies
    that distribute software. At that time, thier famous "Hot Dog" Web Page
    creation software had become one of the most pirated pieces of software
    around. During Installation, the software would "look" for an active
    connection to the internet and then furtively connect in the background
    and completely disable the program if it found invalid registration info.

    There are actually a number of commercial software programs available in
    free "demo" versions today that when "patched" are programmed to set in
    motion a domino-like wrath of destruction, on every .com or .exe file on
    your computer. One very popular cd-labeling program, comes to mind.

    I can't "prove" this, anymore than I can prove that the girders in a
    skyscraper are actually composed of swirling electrons. It's just
    something I know.

    But, this is way beyond the scope of the original post, so I will stop
    here.
    I wish you luck, and let us know how things turn out.

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Matty

    Matty Guest

    Thanks for the reply...but...

    I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
    initialise..therefore no keys work.

    Matty

    Matty, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Matty

    Matty Guest

    Jad

    Thanks for the tip...I never knew about the floppy. And I dont have a USB
    k/b.
    Anyway did that and still no luck. Keyboard still refuses to work, although
    when I press the power switch I noticed the lights on the k/board
    illuminate. After the Detecting IDE devices, I got a "CMOS checksum error -
    Defaults loaded" message, trying to press del to enter the bios
    failed....... i.e. keyboard dead.
    Does this mean the bios is u/s?? What reading I have found suggests so.

    Any thoughts

    Matty

    "JAD" <> wrote in message
    > yikes USB keyboard.....? reset bios through jumper and unplugging...1

    minute or more undo the floppy from the controller on

    Matty, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Matty

    Raymond Guest

    I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
    initialise..therefore no keys work.

    I don't know what the problem is, but if you just want to install the damn
    window xp try this:

    Popup window 98 startup disk into your A drive. At the boot, press delete
    to go to cmos and select first boot device at floppy drive, save and get
    out. Now, it should bootup fine with no prompt like boot from cd keeps
    staring at u. A menu will popup during the boot process, pop your xp cd in
    and choose boot with cd support on the menu. It will take a while for the
    programs to load from floppy and cd, but eventually it will stop at an A:
    prompt. If your HDD already partitioned and formatted, then you are ready
    to install win xp. type D: then press enter to see if your cdrom is your
    cdrom drive, then type in dir, if you see from the top if D: is a
    MS-ramdrive. If D: is your ramdrive, then your cdrom drive is probably
    drive E:. Type E: press enter, then dir to verify. If E: is your cdrom
    drive, then you should see a dirtory call i386 when you type dir at the E:
    prompt. Then, type cd i386 press enter, this should take to the i386 dir,
    then type in winnt press enter. A blue window should popup asking for
    smartdrive inorder to install window xp, choose install window without
    smartdrive support, then just keep enters to install windows. Hope this
    works, but if it does, installing window this way is extremely slow.

    Raymond, Oct 20, 2003
  15. I am leaning towards defective motherboard. I haven't had much experience
    with Gigabyte, but that's what I suspect. If you bought it locally, take it
    back and see what they say. If you bought it on line, email them or call
    them. This might take some time.

    In the meantime, you might look around for another motherboard, if you want
    this one fairly quick.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Matty

    RussS Guest

    Had a similar case recently where there was a stand-out in the wrong place
    and that shorted the guys brand new MoBo on the circuit that handles the
    keyboard. Have also seen it with one of our techs rebuilding a machine and
    the MoBo was faulty straight out of the box - flashed the keyboard lights
    and that was about it.

    RussS, Oct 20, 2003
  17. In article <>,
    says...

    "Never Wrestle with a Pig,
    You'll both get Dirty and the Pig will Love it!"

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 20, 2003
  18. Matty

    Matty Guest

    Hi again

    Well I have fully functioned all the components in another PC, keyboard,
    hdd, mouse, cdrom, floppy, etc etc apart from mobo.... they all work in
    another PC. I have now contacted the supplier who is sending me another
    mobo, so fingers crossed.

    I will let you all know the outcome!

    > > I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
    > > initialise..therefore no keys work.
    > > >>>>

    > > I don't know what the problem is, but if you just want to install the

    damn
    > > window xp try this:
    > >
    > > Popup window 98 startup disk into your A drive. At the boot, press

    delete
    > > to go to cmos and select first boot device at floppy drive, save and get
    > > out. Now, it should bootup fine with no prompt like boot from cd keeps
    > > staring at u. A menu will popup during the boot process, pop your xp

    cd in
    > > and choose boot with cd support on the menu. It will take a while for

    the
    > > programs to load from floppy and cd, but eventually it will stop at an

    A:

    Matty, Oct 20, 2003
  19. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:43:58 -0400, Hill Street Blues <>
    wrote:

    > "Never Wrestle with a Pig,
    > You'll both get Dirty and the Pig will Love it!"

    I like this analogy better...

    <http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922>

    -=Ratz O. Fratzo =-

    Ratz O. Fratzo, Oct 21, 2003
  20. Don't rule out the hard drive CABLE.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 21, 2003