    I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
    reasonable pictures.

    Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    Satoshi wrote:

    > Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
    > They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
    > I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.
    > 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
    > emailing.
    > I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
    > reasonable pictures.
    >
    > Satoshi

    150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only
    doing 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used, 300dpi is very good so twice
    that size at 1500x1200 but you really would want to shoot at full size
    in case you want to crop or get a rare wonderful picture that you want
    to print at 8x10. Use irfanview to batch resize for emailing at a size
    more like 750x600 or smaller. It is another step but once you get the
    hang of it, not too difficult. The only reason to shoot low res is if
    you don't have enough memory & are certain you won't need to make big
    prints.

    paul, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Satoshi

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    In article <cr1kev$g4o$>,
    "Satoshi" <> wrote:

    > what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.

    8.2

    > 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
    > emailing.

    I'll bet.

    > I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
    > reasonable pictures.

    3-4MP should be adequate for prints up to 8x10 (or 10X8 if you're in the U.K.)

    When preparing my photos for emailing or posting on my website, I simply
    "export" them to a MUCH smaller size.

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Satoshi

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Satoshi wrote:

    > Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
    > They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
    > I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.

    Always use the best (largest/finest) setting.

    > 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
    > emailing.

    For e-mailing you can easily downsize them with a suitable image editor.

    > I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
    > reasonable pictures.

    What is "reasonable" and how large will your pictures be ? Do you want
    to print reasonable 8x10 inch photos or reasonable 4x6 inch photos.

    If you always choose the highest resolution from your camera, you'll
    always be able to get the best prints the camera can produce.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    > 150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
    > 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

    Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree:)

    I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
    600 pixel,
    what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Satoshi

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Satoshi wrote:
    > Our family member got new Sony Cybershot 5 MP cameras.
    > They were great cameras. The default setting of the cameras was 5 mp.
    > I am wondering what MP do you use for ordinary shooting.
    > 5mp pictures were great but its 5mp size/picture is not so convenient for
    > emailing.
    > I like to learn from experienced people what mp is just enough to print
    > reasonable pictures.
    >
    > Satoshi

    If you might want to print one of the photos, it's best to set the camera to the
    highest quality mode.

    If you will only ever email the pictures or view them on the computer then you
    only need a 1 megapixel mode.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    Satoshi wrote:

    >>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
    >>4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

    > Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree:)
    >
    > I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
    > 600 pixel,
    > what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

    No, really it's very simple math & I hate math. I don't know the size of
    your 5MP images off hand but dpi is simply dots per inch if you want
    mid-range 200dpi prints at 4x5 simply say 4x200 & 5x200 to get the size.

    paul, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Satoshi

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Satoshi wrote:
    >>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
    >>4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used,

    > Paul, for newbies, digicam math seems to require an advanced math degree:)
    >
    > I feel that 4 x 5 size would be very convenient. When you talk about 750 x
    > 600 pixel,
    > what mp should I set for cameras? Satoshi

    Can you tell us what MP settings your camera has?

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    Download irfanview at http://www.irfanview.com and download the plugins
    too for lossless rotation. It's free and lightning fast. It will take a
    little studying to learn how to batch reduce but it's worth it. Other
    programs will do this & you probably got something with your camera but
    this is the fastest. It's a little bit geeky with lots of options but
    worth learning.

    Once set up, it's as simple as typing "B" for batch, "add all", create a
    new folder, move into that & chose to output into that & click "start" &
    hit the escape key to dismiss the program & you are ready to go.

    paul, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    Default setting was 5mp. But it allows to change from 1 to 5 mp.
    I am just learning.
    In fact, film camera is a lot easier to handle than digital camera because
    we do not have to worry about pixels, dpi and x by x size, etc. Digicam is
    a pain. Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004
  11. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    I use that program all the time.

    >the plugins too for lossless rotation.

    What's name of this plugin? Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    There is just one file on their site called "all-plugins.zip". When
    installed you just type shift-j to rotate a picture permanently.

    In the lower left while viewing a picture you should see the resolution
    in pixels, simply divide each by 200 to find how big that prints in
    inches. Even on your 1MP setting it's probably a bit too large for
    emailing so you will need to resize so just use the 5MP setting.

    paul, Dec 30, 2004
  13. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    Yep you will end up spending more time on the computer sorting pictures
    than with film.

    paul, Dec 30, 2004
  14. Satoshi

    Ben Thomas Guest

    If you are going to print a 5x4 you should use at least the 3MP setting.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  15. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    >you should use at least the 3MP setting.

    I will do that. Thanks. Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004
  16. Satoshi

    Satoshi Guest

    Thanks.
    That stuff was already installed.
    I will take a look at that.

    Many thanks, Paul.

    Satoshi

    Satoshi, Dec 30, 2004
  17. Satoshi

    Mark B. Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message

    > 150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
    > 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used, 300dpi is very good so twice that
    > size at 1500x1200 but you really would want to shoot at full size in case
    > you want to crop or get a rare wonderful picture that you want to print at
    > 8x10. Use irfanview to batch resize for emailing at a size more like
    > 750x600 or smaller. It is another step but once you get the hang of it,
    > not too difficult. The only reason to shoot low res is if you don't have
    > enough memory & are certain you won't need to make big prints.

    That was a very confusing answer for something very simple. For viewing
    on-screen such as on the web or for e-mailing, forget completely about
    worrying about dpi. It's meaningless for viewing on an electronic display.
    For Satoshi - there should have been at least a basic image editing program
    included with the camera. Use it to resize the image to 640 x 480 pixels.
    When you re-save the image, be sure to use a different name. I usually use
    a compression level (quality level) when saving to keep the image size to
    100k or less for e-mailing.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 30, 2004
  18. Satoshi

    RonFrank Guest

    I would shoot at the highest res possible. You can always downsize, but
    uprezzing results in loss of detail even if there are some very fine
    products to do this.

    A 5mpix camera will produce very good 8x10's and even 11x14's if the image
    is shot well. Downsizing images is easy, and there are a ton of tools that
    do this. Make sure to save the original.

    Emailing even small images (like 300k) can be very hard on people who have
    dial up connections. PS provides approximate download times when you resize.
    Another way to share images is by putting them on a site, and sending the
    link. This allows people with slower connections the option of viewing
    smallish thumbnails, and then they can choose which images they may want to
    view larger.

    With email if you send say five 300K images to an individual with a slow
    connection, that email spins and spins until it is downloaded, and will
    block all other mail. If all the people you email have good bandwidth, then
    of course this is no issue.

    Ron

    RonFrank, Dec 30, 2004
  19. Satoshi

    paul Guest

    Mark B. wrote:

    > "paul" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only doing
    >>4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used, 300dpi is very good so twice that
    >>size at 1500x1200 but you really would want to shoot at full size in case
    >>you want to crop or get a rare wonderful picture that you want to print at
    >>8x10. Use irfanview to batch resize for emailing at a size more like
    >>750x600 or smaller. It is another step but once you get the hang of it,
    >>not too difficult. The only reason to shoot low res is if you don't have
    >>enough memory & are certain you won't need to make big prints.

    > That was a very confusing answer for something very simple. For viewing
    > on-screen such as on the web or for e-mailing, forget completely about
    > worrying about dpi. It's meaningless for viewing on an electronic display.
    > For Satoshi - there should have been at least a basic image editing program
    > included with the camera. Use it to resize the image to 640 x 480 pixels.
    > When you re-save the image, be sure to use a different name. I usually use
    > a compression level (quality level) when saving to keep the image size to
    > 100k or less for e-mailing.

    Hey, I was just trying to help out, what's gained in insulting me dude?

    Talking about DPI may sound overly technical but if you are talking
    about printing, it is what's needed to find the answer. He asked about
    printing so it needed to be explained. 200 dpi simply means 200 pixels
    prints one inch long.

    While I'm lashing out about this resentfully <g>, 72dpi is approximately
    what a computer screen displays. That gives a good comparison for
    understanding that a 150dpi print is twice as detailed, a 300 dpi print
    four times better than a computer monitor. While our eyes are used to
    thinking of a 72dpi computer image as pretty nice looking, 72dpi on a
    print is going too look awful for all but the very softest sort of
    image. It can get a lot more confusing talking about printer resolution
    stuff but the very most basic concept someone needs to understand is
    approximate dpi.

    Regarding email file size, 100K is darn big for a 640x480 image. It can
    easily be half that size with a jpeg compression of about 60 or 70 using
    irfanview. It only needs to be set once, you might as well do it right.
    I wouldn't make a 640x480 image that fat unless it was a very picky
    special fine art photo.

    Hmph.

    paul, Dec 31, 2004
  20. Satoshi

    Mark B. Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Mark B. wrote:
    >
    >> "paul" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>150 dpi is usable for prints (but not very good) so if you were only
    >>>doing 4x5 snapshots 750x600 could be used, 300dpi is very good so twice
    >>>that size at 1500x1200 but you really would want to shoot at full size in
    >>>case you want to crop or get a rare wonderful picture that you want to
    >>>print at 8x10. Use irfanview to batch resize for emailing at a size more
    >>>like 750x600 or smaller. It is another step but once you get the hang of
    >>>it, not too difficult. The only reason to shoot low res is if you don't
    >>>have enough memory & are certain you won't need to make big prints.

    >> That was a very confusing answer for something very simple. For viewing
    >> on-screen such as on the web or for e-mailing, forget completely about
    >> worrying about dpi. It's meaningless for viewing on an electronic
    >> display. For Satoshi - there should have been at least a basic image
    >> editing program included with the camera. Use it to resize the image to
    >> 640 x 480 pixels. When you re-save the image, be sure to use a different
    >> name. I usually use a compression level (quality level) when saving to
    >> keep the image size to 100k or less for e-mailing.

    > Hey, I was just trying to help out, what's gained in insulting me dude?
    >
    > Talking about DPI may sound overly technical but if you are talking about
    > printing, it is what's needed to find the answer. He asked about printing
    > so it needed to be explained. 200 dpi simply means 200 pixels prints one
    > inch long.
    >
    > While I'm lashing out about this resentfully <g>, 72dpi is approximately
    > what a computer screen displays. That gives a good comparison for
    > understanding that a 150dpi print is twice as detailed, a 300 dpi print
    > four times better than a computer monitor. While our eyes are used to
    > thinking of a 72dpi computer image as pretty nice looking, 72dpi on a
    > print is going too look awful for all but the very softest sort of image.
    > It can get a lot more confusing talking about printer resolution stuff but
    > the very most basic concept someone needs to understand is approximate
    > dpi.
    >
    > Regarding email file size, 100K is darn big for a 640x480 image. It can
    > easily be half that size with a jpeg compression of about 60 or 70 using
    > irfanview. It only needs to be set once, you might as well do it right. I
    > wouldn't make a 640x480 image that fat unless it was a very picky special
    > fine art photo.
    >
    > Hmph.

    Apologies, you're right, he did ask about printing. I still think it may be
    a little confusing to a newbie to think about dpi for both printing and
    screen display. dpi doesn't mean anything for display. I only mentioned
    100k as a suggested upper limit for a 640x480; it depends a lot on the type
    of photo it is and of course how much compression is applied.

    As for printing, I like to aim for 300dpi so for 4x6 the image needs to be
    1200 x 1800 which is only about 2.2 megapixels. At max resolution, a
    compact 5mp would yield an image of about 6.5 x 8.6 for printing, but it's
    possible to go much larger depending on the image and viewing distance.
    I've frequently made 8x10 prints from a 3mp digital SLR.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 31, 2004