Newbie

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Tim1982, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. Tim1982

    Tim1982 Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to become a MCAD, i would like to get some help in choosing the
    proper education material. Which books should i buy? Is that developing kit
    good? Where can i find examples of exams to prepare? And all other
    interesting information is welcome.

    Where in belgium can i take the exam?

    I saw for MCAD i need to do following exams:
    - 70-315 and 70-316
    - 70-320
    - and an elective exam: i would chose 70-340

    is that correct? or do i have to choose between 315 and 316 (so i don't have
    to do them both?)

    If i pass all those test than i receive the MCAD? or not yet?

    Is there a time limit, let's say i take exam 315, does that mean i have to
    take the second exam in a predefined time period? or am i free to choose when
    i take the next exam?

    How long did you guys prepare for these exams? (70-315, 70-316, 70-320,
    70-340)

    i really hope i get some responses to this

    Thank you very much
    Tim1982, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Tim1982

    .NET Racer Guest

    I presume you already have some experience with application development, i
    would suggest you to look at other threads on this site.

    You will need to thoroughly understand the fundamental architecture of the
    ..NET Framework (e.g. how the the class library and Common Language Runtime
    works), before even thinking of coding. You may use MSDN as a starting point
    to get yourself familiar with this, working through examples. Get yourself
    an evaluation or legitmate copy of Visual Studio 2003 NET.

    There are many study materials out there to help you. You can try the
    Microsoft Press books, but can be quite difficult to read. Use Amazon and
    type in MCAD to search for a listing of books, and read some of the reviews
    from readers. My main sources was MSDN, www.gotdotnet.com and
    www.dotnet247.com, which worked for me. I would not recommend, like many
    other professionals, use those braindump sites purely to "pass" the exams.
    You may pass the exam but that's about it! you will not have sufficent
    knowledge and practical expertise to work in the "real-world" (you will
    struggle, believe me I have seen many who have).

    For me, it took four months to get my MCAD.NET certfication, putting into
    consideration that I already have experience in other technologies (e.g.
    Ada95, C, Java, VB6). I spent at least 2-3 hours/day studying various books
    provided by my company (as part of training), and the rest of the time doing
    "hands-on" coding (about 5/day or as much as I can do) and developing
    mini-applications. I would also spend another 3 hours reading from MSDN site
    at home.

    I also got help from existing MCAD.NET certified developers from the company
    and collaborated with other training students (working on assessment
    projects, sharing ideas etc).

    Where to take exams? - use either:
    1) Prometric (www.prometric.com), or
    2) Pearson Vue (www.vue.com)

    I took the 070-316, 070-315 and 070-320 to get my certification (070-316 or
    070-315 can be thought of as my elective exam). Not sure if you there is a
    time period to for taking one exam from another (wouldn't have thought so)
    but there is definitely an expiration date, for taking each exam once you
    have booked it. Good luck mate.

    --
    MCAD.NET
    .NET Racer, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Tim1982

    Tim1982 Guest

    First off all thank you for this answer.

    I have 2 years of developping experience, mainly C++/VC++ and C# .NET. A
    bit of Java and ASP also.

    Tim1982, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Tim1982

    Steven Spits Guest

    Steven Spits, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Tim1982

    Tim1982 Guest

    Tim1982, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Tim1982

    .NET Racer Guest

    Try the self assessment practise questions from Microsoft Learning at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

    Click on the "Skills Assessment" link under Learning & Reference for
    samples. You will need a .NET password to access it though (register if you
    don't have one).

    Although I have gained the MCAD.NET certification, I still use this to
    assess my own knowledge from time to time.

    --
    MCAD.NET
    .NET Racer, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Tim1982

    Steven Spits Guest

    "Tim1982" wrote:

    > hehe mechelen, that good for me ;) thx

    My experience with them is very good; very friendly lady at the counter.

    > Is it possible to find some example questions somewhere ?

    See if Transcender still offers a free preview of their software. It
    contains only a few question but it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

    Steven

    - - -
    Steven Spits, Oct 24, 2005
  8. Tim1982

    Tim1982 Guest

    ok i will check that out, now first i'll start to study :)

    thx very much .NET racer and Steven Spits for all the information.

    grtz

    Tim1982, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Tim1982

    Tim1982 Guest

    hi, for study material:

    on the site of microsoft for exam 316 it says:

    books:
    MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows-Based Applications
    with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET. This book is
    out of print. Check with your local retailer for availability.

    They also give a short explanation about the book or kit:

    Exam 70-316 measures the ability to develop and implement Windows-based
    applications by using Windows Forms and the Microsoft .NET Framework. This
    exam counts as a core credit toward the new MCAD (Microsoft Certified
    Application Developer) certification as well as a core credit toward the MCSD
    ..NET certification. This book is not intended to teach new material. Instead
    it assumes that you have a solid foundation of knowledge but can use a
    refresher on important concepts as well as a guide to exam topics and
    objectives. This book focuses exactly on what you need to pass the exam - it
    features test-taking strategies, time-saving study tips, and a special Cram
    Sheet that includes tips, acronyms, and memory joggers not available anywhere
    else.
    The accompanying CD features PrepLogicâ„¢ Practice Tests, Preview Edition.
    This product includes one complete PrepLogic Practice Test with approximately
    the same number of questions found on the actual vendor exam. Each question
    contains full, detailed explanations of the correct and incorrect answers.
    The engine offers two study modes, Practice Test and Flash Review, full exam
    customization, and a detailed score report.

    so this is it?

    if i check a local retailer i only see this book:
    MCAD Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Visual
    C#.NET and Visual Studio.NET (Exam 70-316)

    Is this the KIT there talking about? or is there more than this book?

    Tim1982, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Tim1982

    Vipul Patel Guest

    Keep this in mind

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/

    Vipul Patel, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Tim1982

    Guest

    Hi .Net Racer,

    So what u mean to say is that you could pass the exams using MS Press
    and the braindumps ? How accurate are the braindumps ? Are they as good
    as what ppl who pass the exams tell you ?

    thanx.
    Eraj
    , Oct 26, 2005