Newbie: X64 Nvidia Graphics Driver Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jed, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Jed

    Jed Guest

    Although experienced in other areas, I'm relatively new to upgrading
    graphics drivers and have a question.

    I have Windows XP Pro x64 installed on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum 3 with
    an Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice core) CPU and an Asus GeForce 6200.

    I've downloaded the 77.72 x64 WHQL candidate drivers from the Nvidia
    website. I removed the old Nvidia drivers using Add Remove Software,
    then attempted to install the new drivers. The driver files are
    successfully installed into a C:\Nvidia directory, but when the Nvidia
    setup program runs, it fails right after the logo with the error that
    it "can't find any drivers compatible with your hardware setup. Setup
    will exit."

    Tried with an older driver version (71.84) I had downloaded earlier
    but hadn't tried to install with the same results.

    When I originally installed the Asus 6200 on the cleanly installed x64
    system, it would also not install, apparently having a problem with
    the setup program Asus used for its drivers, couldn't even copy the
    drivers over, so I have just been using the generic Microsoft driver
    up till now.

    Where have I gone wrong?

    Jed, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Jed

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    A few revisions ago, you stopped having to un-install the pervious drivers
    before install.... it is probably looking for the origional install
    location for the drivers...... IE: your CD rom....either burn the new
    drivers to a disk, or reinstall the original ones, and then update with the
    new ones....... hope this helps

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Greetings,
    Try this:
    1) right click "My Compter"
    2) click "Properties"
    3) click the "Hardware" tab
    4) click "Device Manager"
    5) click the plus sign to expand "Display adapters"
    6) rick click the display adapter that is shown under "Display adapters"
    7) click "Update Driver"
    8) chose "Not this time" and click "next" (answering if Windows can connect
    to....)
    9) chose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
    10) check onlu the check box "Include this location in the search" and
    browse to the C:\Nvidia folder where your driver setup program installed the
    latest drivers.
    11) point at folder "77.72" (because there is the old one too, 71 or
    similar, click "Next"
    12) click "Finish"

    hope it works

    cheers

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Hello Jed,
    Are you sure those are 64-bit drivers? From the error message it sounds
    like those are drivers for another platform.
    Get filever.exe from the support.cab on the cd.
    run filever c:\NVidia\*.* NVidia.txt
    We can check the file headers to make sure these are x64 driver files.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: Jed <>
    <Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
    <Subject: Newbie: X64 Nvidia Graphics Driver Upgrade
    <Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:49:09 -0700
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 25, 2005
  5. Jed

    Jed Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:23:41 -0700, "MHPNW STAFF"
    <> wrote:

    >A few revisions ago, you stopped having to un-install the pervious drivers
    >before install.... it is probably looking for the origional install
    >location for the drivers...... IE: your CD rom....either burn the new
    >drivers to a disk, or reinstall the original ones, and then update with the
    >new ones....... hope this helps

    I'll experiment with this. From the Nvidia website Driver Installation
    Hints page, however, they are still recommending a complete uninstall
    of the previous drivers.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

    So that's a conundrum.

    Jed, Jun 25, 2005
  6. Jed

    Jed Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:04:01 -0700, "Matt"
    <> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >Try this:
    >1) right click "My Compter"
    >2) click "Properties"
    >3) click the "Hardware" tab
    >4) click "Device Manager"
    >5) click the plus sign to expand "Display adapters"
    >6) rick click the display adapter that is shown under "Display adapters"
    >7) click "Update Driver"
    >8) chose "Not this time" and click "next" (answering if Windows can connect
    >to....)
    >9) chose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
    >10) check onlu the check box "Include this location in the search" and
    >browse to the C:\Nvidia folder where your driver setup program installed the
    >latest drivers.
    >11) point at folder "77.72" (because there is the old one too, 71 or
    >similar, click "Next"
    >12) click "Finish"
    >
    >hope it works

    Thanks. I 'll give this a shot tommorrow. The one thing that stopped
    me from attempting this was the fact that the files in the
    /Nvidia/7x.xx directories were of the form .dl_, .ex_, .sy_, etc.
    making me think they need to be uncompressed by the Nvidia setup app
    before attempting to use them via the XP x64 driver update. Is that
    incorrect?

    Jed, Jun 25, 2005
  7. Jed

    Jed Guest

    Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:22:44 GMT,
    ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote:

    >Hello Jed,
    >Are you sure those are 64-bit drivers? From the error message it sounds
    >like those are drivers for another platform.
    >Get filever.exe from the support.cab on the cd.
    >run filever c:\NVidia\*.* NVidia.txt
    >We can check the file headers to make sure these are x64 driver files.

    OK. Here's the results from filever.exe:

    C:\filever c:\NVidia\*.* NVidia.txt

    c:\nvidia\nforcewinxp64\*.*
    d---- - - - - - 0 05-26-2005 [6.25]
    c:\nvidia\winxp64\*.*
    d---- - - - - - 0 06-24-2005 [71.84]
    d---- - - - - - 0 06-24-2005 [77.72]On

    They look legit to me and they were definitely downloaded directly
    from the www.nvidia.com website and not from a 3rd party site.

    Jed, Jun 25, 2005
  8. you are getting that error becuase your card isnt listed in the '.inf' file
    for the drivers.

    if what the last post said doesnt work, do steps 1-9 then:
    select 'dont search, i will choose the driver to install'
    select 'have disk'
    browse to your unzipped 77.72 folder
    select 'nv4_disp.inf' then click open

    it will give you a list of cards. select anyone you want. the driver will
    work, your card just isnt technically 'supported' it will have the wrong name
    in the device manager, but will be correct in the display settings.

    =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=, Jun 25, 2005
  9. Jed

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    Jed,
    Maybe this will help...
    It seems that with a Nvidia card ...there are issues with this driver
    version.....
    ATI , and the same board ....I have not had probs....

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Jun 25, 2005