Newbie with a few questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hoyt Weathers, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Background: I am running a Mac G4 with 1 Gig of RAM and have Photoshop 5.5. I just
    ordered my first digital camera - the Nikon Coolpix 4100. It will come anon. I have
    several Nikon SLR lenses and I have read of the limitations of using them on digital
    cameras.

    Questions:

    1. What do I do to get the images inside the 4100 INTO my G4? IOW, out of the box
    does the camera come with a cable to plug in somewhere on my G4? If so, which hole?
    Do the Nikon instructions for the 4100 go into that?

    2. Is Photoshop 5.5 sufficient or do I need to download a newer version? [I am not a
    pro, just an amateur.]

    3. Can I replace the standard lens on the 4100 with any of my present Nikon SLR AE
    lenses?

    Thank you for bearing with this absolute dodo in digital cameras.

    My address above is correct.

    Hoyt Weathers
    Trinity, Alabama
    U.S.A.

    "Vote early and often"

    Hoyt Weathers, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Hoyt Weathers

    Shadowfax Guest

    Hoyt Weathers <> wrote in

    > Background: I am running a Mac G4 with 1 Gig of RAM and have
    > Photoshop 5.5. I just ordered my first digital camera - the Nikon
    > Coolpix 4100. It will come anon. I have several Nikon SLR lenses
    > and I have read of the limitations of using them on digital
    > cameras.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. What do I do to get the images inside the 4100 INTO my G4? IOW,
    > out of the box does the camera come with a cable to plug in
    > somewhere on my G4? If so, which hole? Do the Nikon instructions
    > for the 4100 go into that?

    It should come with a USB cable, and if it doesn’t for some reason, you
    probably already have one lying around. It goes in the USB slot and
    yes the instructions should go into that. (I’m assuming Macs have USB
    ports and not just Firewire these days).

    > 2. Is Photoshop 5.5 sufficient or do I need to download a newer
    > version? [I am not a pro, just an amateur.]

    If you know how to use it, it’s more than sufficient. The current
    version of Photoshop has some great tools, but if all you’re doing is
    tweaking a picture or two, it’s probably not worth upgrading.

    > 3. Can I replace the standard lens on the 4100 with any of my
    > present Nikon SLR AE lenses?

    Hahaha…that’s funny ;^) Sorry…no. SLR lenses are not any more
    compatible with point and shoot digital cameras than they would be with
    point and shoot film cameras.

    Have fun!

    --
    Scott

    Shadowfax, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Hoyt Weathers wrote:
    > Background: I am running a Mac G4 with 1 Gig of RAM and have Photoshop 5.5. I just
    > ordered my first digital camera - the Nikon Coolpix 4100. It will come anon. I have
    > several Nikon SLR lenses and I have read of the limitations of using them on digital
    > cameras.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. What do I do to get the images inside the 4100 INTO my G4? IOW, out of the box
    > does the camera come with a cable to plug in somewhere on my G4? If so, which hole?
    > Do the Nikon instructions for the 4100 go into that?

    The Coolpix 4100 uses a USB connection to interface with your computer.
    I would be very surprised if it came without the necessary cable, and I
    would also be very surprised if the instruction manual did not describe
    how to connect the camera and transfer your pictures to your computer.

    > 2. Is Photoshop 5.5 sufficient or do I need to download a newer version? [I am not a
    > pro, just an amateur.]

    Photoshop 5.5 should be sufficient for pretty much all your needs. If
    you want to be able to retain some camera-specific information with each
    picture you take (things like shutter speed, etc... you will hear the
    term "EXIF data" used often), then you might need to upgrade Photoshop.
    For basic amateur work, I don't think you're going to care one way or
    the other.

    > 3. Can I replace the standard lens on the 4100 with any of my present Nikon SLR AE
    > lenses?

    The Coolpix 4100 is not a digital SLR camera and thus does not use SLR
    lenses. The Coolpix 4100 is a point-and-shoot camera with a built-in
    3x optical zoom lens. Nikon may offer lens attachments that change the
    effective focal length range, but I doubt that's what you're talking
    about when you say you have some Nikon SLR lenses already.

    You might want to visit some websites dedicated to digital cameras and
    digital photography. I have found the following site to be helpful in
    the past:

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    You will probably find a good review of the Nikon Coolpix 4100 there,
    too.

    BJJB

    BillyJoeJimBob, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Hoyt Weathers

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Hoyt Weathers <> wrote:

    > 1. What do I do to get the images inside the 4100 INTO my G4? IOW, out
    > of the box does the camera come with a cable to plug in somewhere on my
    > G4? If so, which hole?

    The cable will go from the camera to a USB port on your computer.

    > Do the Nikon instructions for the 4100 go into that?

    Yes, but you won't need them, even as a beginner, and you won't need to
    install any software that may come with the camera, either. After you take
    some pictures, you'll plug the camera into the computer, and the computer
    will see it and download the pictures, probably into iPhoto, unless your
    system is too old for that and you haven't upgraded the OS. (In that
    case they will just end up in your Pictures folder.)

    > 2. Is Photoshop 5.5 sufficient or do I need to download a newer version?
    > [I am not a pro, just an amateur.]

    It will probably be enough. It will definitely be enough to at least get
    you started and let you find out if you want something newer, so stick
    with it until you see a reason not to.

    > 3. Can I replace the standard lens on the 4100 with any of my present
    > Nikon SLR AE lenses?

    No. You would need a Nikon digital SLR like the D70 for that.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 24, 2004