    DVD into avi - divx format. There is so many software available and some
    just don't do a very good job.

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

    Laura25, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:50:28 -0400, "Laura25" <>
    wrote:

    >I am a newbie and I would like to get the best software available to convert
    >DVD into avi - divx format. There is so many software available and some
    >just don't do a very good job.

    Auto Gordian Knot. It is widely acclaimed to be the best 1-click
    converter, which is what the newbie needs.

    However the author recommends XviD instead of DivX. I second that
    recommendation.

    --

    Stop Repeat Offenders!
    Don't Re-elect Them!

    Bob, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Laura25

    dearhunter Guest

    "Laura25" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a newbie and I would like to get the best software available to
    > convert DVD into avi - divx format. There is so many software
    > available and some just don't do a very good job.
    >
    > Many thanks for your suggestions.

    Something you may want to consider, you can install VLC player and
    veiw/watch vob files just like watch an avi with windows media player. Just
    a thought!

    dearhunter, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Laura25

    Laura25 Guest

    Thanks Bob for the information !

    The software does a good job. However it take a long time to convert a full
    movie (6 to 8 hours) is that normal ?

    Thanks

    Laura25, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Laura25

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:16:56 -0400, "Laura25" <>
    wrote:

    >The software does a good job. However it take a long time to convert a full
    >movie (6 to 8 hours) is that normal ?

    Long conversion times are normal.

    You can always opt for the 1-pass conversion. Unless there is a great
    deal of high-speed action, you do not need 2 passes.

    You do that by your choice of "Select Output Size". The first two
    force 2 passes whereas the third only results in 1 pass. This is
    mentioned in what passes for documentation. I have found that a
    "Target Quality (in percentage)" of around 35% results in acceptable
    resolution.

    You can check the resolution of the output file with GSpot. If the
    frame size is 720x480 and the bitrate is around 1,000 kb/s you will
    get decent play on small TVs. The file size for 42 minutes of content
    should be around 350 MB.

    But you need to experiment to find your values.

    --

    Stop Repeat Offenders!
    Don't Re-elect Them!

    Bob, Jul 12, 2006