Newbie to Linux Mandrake

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Volund, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Volund

    Volund Guest

    Hi,
    I've never been near a linux os before and I've decided to take the plunge
    and install Linux Mandrake 10.0 on my second pc.
    Where is the best place to get info/tutorials on using this OS. To get the
    best out of it.
    Future plan for second pc is as a home based server for 3 other machines
    running MS Windoze 98se and XP pro.

    TIA
    A linux newbie

    Volund

    ---
    "There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus

    Volund, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Volund

    AG Guest

    I've had good luck with the "Dummies" books, except the new ones are
    expensive, at least to me.
    Also there are some good sites like http://www.justlinux.com/
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/
    and also if there is one a local Linux users group. We have a good one here
    in Central Arkansas. I almost never make it to meetings but that doesn't
    stop me from picking their brains.

    AG

    AG, Sep 24, 2004

  3. "xmp" <> wrote in message
    > AG wrote:
    >
    > > I've had good luck with the "Dummies" books, except the new ones are
    > > expensive, at least to me.
    > > Also there are some good sites like http://www.justlinux.com/
    > > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/
    > > and also if there is one a local Linux users group. We have a good one

    here
    > > in Central Arkansas. I almost never make it to meetings but that

    doesn't
    > > stop me from picking their brains.

    > I like the Dummies guides also, and the Slackware one got me through my
    > first install. There were/are distro-specific Dummies guides as well as
    > a "linux for dummies" general guide.
    >
    > There are several newbie sites, and stuff like linuxquestions.org. The
    > man pages and TLDP (the linux documentation project) have guides.
    >
    > You might buy one of the Mandrake boxed sets. My SuSE linux and FreeBSD
    > sets came with a large manual.

    Not to mention a whole boatload of Linux newsgroups.

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «bonehead;\), Sep 25, 2004
  4. Volund

    lanceallott Guest

    «bonehead;) wrote:
    > "xmp" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>AG wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've had good luck with the "Dummies" books, except the new ones are
    >>>expensive, at least to me.
    >>>Also there are some good sites like http://www.justlinux.com/
    >>>http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/
    >>>and also if there is one a local Linux users group. We have a good one

    > here
    >
    >>>in Central Arkansas. I almost never make it to meetings but that

    > doesn't
    >
    >>>stop me from picking their brains.

    >>I like the Dummies guides also, and the Slackware one got me through my
    >>first install. There were/are distro-specific Dummies guides as well as
    >>a "linux for dummies" general guide.
    >>
    >>There are several newbie sites, and stuff like linuxquestions.org. The
    >>man pages and TLDP (the linux documentation project) have guides.
    >>
    >>You might buy one of the Mandrake boxed sets. My SuSE linux and FreeBSD
    >>sets came with a large manual.
    >>

    > Not to mention a whole boatload of Linux newsgroups.

    alt.os.linux.mandrake
    lanceallott, Oct 1, 2004
  5. "lanceallott" <> wrote in message
    > «bonehead;) wrote:
    > > "xmp" <> wrote in message

    > > here

    > > doesn't

    > >>I like the Dummies guides also, and the Slackware one got me through my
    > >>first install. There were/are distro-specific Dummies guides as well as
    > >>a "linux for dummies" general guide.
    > >>
    > >>There are several newbie sites, and stuff like linuxquestions.org. The
    > >>man pages and TLDP (the linux documentation project) have guides.
    > >>
    > >>You might buy one of the Mandrake boxed sets. My SuSE linux and FreeBSD
    > >>sets came with a large manual.
    > >>

    > > Not to mention a whole boatload of Linux newsgroups.
    > >

    > alt.os.linux.mandrake

    comp.os.linux.help

    linux.org.... yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah....
    the cool part is if are just a beginner or experienced there are lot's of
    resources at your fingertips....

    My Linux course uses a Redhat 9 book thats about 3 inches thick, came
    with the OS and it only costs 9 bucks....
    I am in no way advocating Redhat, but MisroShaft does not sell anything
    for 9 bucks...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «bonehead;\), Oct 1, 2004
  6. Volund

    AG Guest

    "«bonehead;)" <> wrote in message

    > "lanceallott" <> wrote in message
    > > «bonehead;) wrote:
    > > > "xmp" <> wrote in message

    one

    > > > here

    > > > doesn't

    my

    as

    The

    FreeBSD

    > > > Not to mention a whole boatload of Linux newsgroups.
    > > >

    > > alt.os.linux.mandrake
    > >

    > comp.os.linux.help
    >
    > linux.org.... yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah....
    > the cool part is if are just a beginner or experienced there are lot's of
    > resources at your fingertips....
    >
    > My Linux course uses a Redhat 9 book thats about 3 inches thick, came
    > with the OS and it only costs 9 bucks....
    > I am in no way advocating Redhat, but MisroShaft does not sell anything
    > for 9 bucks...
    >

    > --
    > <B0N3H3@D>
    > "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert

    Einstein

    They gave me a copy of XP SP2. They even paid shipping.
    AG
    AG, Oct 1, 2004