    someone could direct me to a website that could walk me through what i need
    to buy and how to connect to get myself on line ..thanks

    piper
    Piper, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Piper

    Guest

    "Piper" <> wrote:

    >I was just given a dell Inspiron 1200 from a friend.The thing is i know
    >nothing about setting it up to my dsl and desktop.I would appreciate it if
    >someone could direct me to a website that could walk me through what i need
    >to buy and how to connect to get myself on line ..thanks

    Just the link I use all the time
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97

    But from there all you questions should be answered (like the FAQ
    section).

    --
    http://www.iiiiiiii.com/?
    , Nov 29, 2006

  3. Piper

    Mr. Arnold6 Guest

    Piper wrote:
    > I was just given a dell Inspiron 1200 from a friend.The thing is i know
    > nothing about setting it up to my dsl and desktop.I would appreciate it if
    > someone could direct me to a website that could walk me through what i need
    > to buy and how to connect to get myself on line ..thanks
    >
    > piper

    I suggest you post to a wireless NG, alt.Internet.wireless. If the
    laptop is going to go out to the Internet, then you'll need to buy a
    wireless NIC (Network Interface Card) and install it on the desktop
    computer that already has a connection to the Internet.

    By using Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop computer's wire NIC
    and the wireless cards between the desktop and laptop set to communicate
    with each other, the laptop can use the desktop to access the Internet.

    The simpler and better solution would be to get a wire/wireless Access
    Point NAT router and plug the desktop into the router on the wire side
    and let the laptop use the wireless side of the router. Both of the
    computers can access the Internet and each other easily via the router.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    Mr. Arnold6, Nov 29, 2006
  4. "Piper" <> wrote in

    > I was just given a dell Inspiron 1200 from a friend. The
    > thing is i know nothing about setting it up to my dsl and
    > desktop. I would appreciate it if someone could direct me
    > to a website that could walk me through what i need to buy
    > and how to connect to get myself on line ..thanks
    >
    > piper

    Bellsouth.net. They spent 5 hours teaching my to use Outlook
    Express. Your ISP. Call your ISP and they will get you on
    line. Don't buy anything unless your ISP tells you what you
    should do. HTH.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday
    season.

    --

    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someday some fishermen
    caught a big shark and cut it open, and there inside was a
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 29, 2006