Newbie to Cisco Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ryu1, May 24, 2005.

  1. ryu1

    ryu1 Guest

    Hi,

    I am a system admin and would like to learn configuring a router, but I
    have no experience with any type of routers. I know you use Cisco IOS
    to configure the router (I don't know the IOS command set either), but
    is there a windows based software from cisco that you could use to
    configure the router as well??

    I have a spare 2600 router around with a WIC card, so I would like to
    use that as my starting point. My company's internet T1 line comes with
    the 1700 series router pre-configured, so I would like to learn how to
    configure one in case that router is dead. Is there any good books that
    you guys can recommend, is the CCNA training video from Learnkey any
    good to start with?

    I would like to get more information especially those toward
    configuring a router with an internet T1 line.

    Thanks,
    Alan

    ryu1, May 24, 2005

  2. ryu1

    Guest

    ryu1 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a system admin and would like to learn configuring a router, but I
    > have no experience with any type of routers. I know you use Cisco IOS
    > to configure the router (I don't know the IOS command set either), but
    > is there a windows based software from cisco that you could use to
    > configure the router as well??
    >
    > I have a spare 2600 router around with a WIC card, so I would like to
    > use that as my starting point. My company's internet T1 line comes with
    > the 1700 series router pre-configured, so I would like to learn how to
    > configure one in case that router is dead. Is there any good books that
    > you guys can recommend, is the CCNA training video from Learnkey any
    > good to start with?
    >
    > I would like to get more information especially those toward
    > configuring a router with an internet T1 line.

    Alan,

    I am also a newbie to Cisco router and I don't know if there is any
    Windows-based software that allows you to confifure all Cisco routers,
    although I know some ( maybe all, but I have not known all of them )
    Cisco routers supports web interface.

    But personally I prefer working with the CLI. It may be a little bit
    confused at the beginning but it won't take long time to get used to
    it. It also gives you more freedom to setup your routers.

    DT

    , May 24, 2005

  3. ryu1

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    You could use the embedded http interface the router has in the IOS
    and the use your browser to configure it or SMD (which is not free and does
    not support all platforms as far as I remember). However both of them sucks
    honestly and you will get a hardtime doing it and/or they don't have the
    same flexibility that IOS CLI does. more info here...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca734.html

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800b75e1.html

    hope it helps, let us know.......

    --
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

    --Anthrax--

    http://www.usenet.com

    Guest, May 25, 2005