    x64 preinstalled. I'm not kicking my P4 system off the Island but moving it
    to helper mode and Virtual PC stuff. I am just starting to read this ng and
    look forward to great ideas from you all. And, oh btw, hi Andre.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Hi Colin, glad you could be with us. :) When is Virtual PC going to be
    supported on x64? ;-)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005

  3. No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be discussed.
    Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on Server 2003 x64 one
    hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather than later. In the interim
    I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta on XP x64 and see how it goes with
    various guest OS's. (That assumes access to Virtual Server 2005, of
    course). VPC for x64 is probably not as critical an issue as getting the
    server side going anyway. But it would be really nice to have.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Yeah, I know about Virtual Server 2005 but its not an interface I'm pleased
    with. I love the console approach of Virtual PC 2004.

    People can access the beta build of Virtual Server 2005 SP1 here:
    Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx

    Remember, its beta:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  5. Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    > No news on VPC x64 (or whatever it will be called) which can be
    > discussed. Since Virtual Server SP1 beta supports hosting VS on
    > Server 2003 x64 one hopes VPC can be hosted on XP x64 sooner rather
    > than later. In the interim I suppose one can try out the VS SP1 beta
    > on XP x64 and see how it goes with various guest OS's. (That assumes
    > access to Virtual Server 2005, of course). VPC for x64 is probably
    > not as critical an issue as getting the server side going anyway. But it
    > would be really nice to have.

    Hi Colin

    It's working well, shame I cannot install any x64 OS, just have to wait a
    bit for that, otherwise, Virtual Server, once you know how to do it, is
    great

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    (Ruiselde - Belgium)

    Christian Hougardy, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Well the interface is for management. You're supposed to be configuring
    your server, not listening to MP3's, but I know what you mean. It just
    doesn't look like a desktop is 'supposed' to look. I can live with that
    until VPC goes 64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Colin Barnhorst

    NNBXX Guest

    Hi Christian,

    Glad to have you here again after your move to Belgium :)

    Best Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste

    NNBXX, Jul 1, 2005
  8. NNBXX <> wrote:
    > Hi Christian,
    >
    > Glad to have you here again after your move to Belgium :)
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Jean-Baptiste

    Thanks Jean-Baptiste, still need some sleep and I'm using my laptop until my
    desktop arrives, but for the rest, it's ok ;)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselde - Belgium)

    Christian Hougardy, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Great to have you back with us Christian! Anyway, I don't think Microsoft
    will support Windows XP Professional x64 or any future of versions of
    Windows x64 as a guest OS, because I think it has something do with
    virtualizing the CPU to support it and that would probably cause some
    licensing issues and make AMD or Intel upset, because it would seem as if
    Microsoft is lowering their market.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  10. Why wouldn't the same issues exist with 32-bit processors already? In any
    case, both Intel and AMD are working on virtualization support in their
    future cpu's so they can hardly be concerned. I think it is a matter of
    time and priorities until x64 is supported as a guest. And then there
    would be the question of what hardware to emulate and write 64-bit drivers.
    Anyway, I certainly would like to see some 64-bit *nix's running in Windows
    x64 (just for the fun of it, don't you know).

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2005
  11. I think I was confusing virtualizing the processor to work on 32 bit
    processors so you could run Window x64 as a guess on Windows XP 32 bit. Will
    that also happend Colin?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005
  12. It's really easy to mix things up. There is VPC (the application) and what
    platforms can host it. Then there is VPC (the environment) and what
    platforms can be guests.

    At this point, Virtual Server SP1 can run 32-bit guests on a 64-bit host.
    So I would think that first up for VPC would be to run 32-bit guests on an
    x64 host, but keep in mind there have been no announcements of such a
    product.

    I don't see running 64-bit guests in VPC any time soon. The one problem is
    to get VPC (the application) to run on x64. It just seems logical that that
    would happen.

    The other problem is running 64-bit guests in VPC. That is a lot more
    complicated because it requires emulating a 64-bit compatible motherboard
    chipset, bus, cards, etc., as well as virtualizing a 64-bit cpu.

    And then there is the consideration that the cpu makers are moving ahead on
    adding virtualization features to their future chips, so who knows how this
    will all come about?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 3, 2005
  13. I say the future looks very promising. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  14. It certainly looks very interesting. In the long run hardware support from
    Intel and AMD should shape things. The performance would be terrific, but
    it would also restrict usage to newer hardware that enables it. The
    question is, how far will VPC (the application) progress on current 64-bit
    hardware before virtualization takes a new direction? I hope we get to a
    64-bit application at least. I can live with 32-bit guests.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 4, 2005
  15. I think I read in an Interview, Bob Muglia said that there won't be a need
    for Virtual Server in near future, so there are a lot of changes expected to
    take place, but this is specifically on the Server side, and I suspect you
    could call it more of a evolution of the technology itself, on difference
    being that its a core part of the operating system in a powerful new way.
    Virtual PC on the client side will be around for a good while.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005