Newbie: Taking Pictures of PDAs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeff Ishaq, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Jeff Ishaq

    Jeff Ishaq Guest

    First, my apologies if a like-worded message appears in this group over
    the next few days. I foolishly used Google News to post my initial
    query 24 hours ago, and it never showed up.

    I am writing a book on the Treo 600 smartphone, and my editor has asked
    me if I want to produce pictures for the book, or if I'd rather have a
    pro do it. I've been meaning to become more proficient in photography,
    but I must admit I have no clue what I'm doing. I know technology, I'm
    patient, and I can find my way around Photoshop, but that's about it.

    Can I please solicit some input as to both the temporal and financial
    commitment necessary to produce publication-quality photographs of
    hardware? As an example, I would refer to this review of the Minolta
    DiMAGE A1 camera, which I was coincidentally thinking of purchasing for
    this purpose:

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_a1-review/

    The hardware in these images have uniform lighting and appear almost to
    be floating in the air. Is this something I can accomplish with minimal
    cost and setup or am I going to need to sink hundreds of dollars on
    equipment? One ominous sign was the expensive-looking light kit caught
    in the lens reflection of the top-most image. :)

    Please post to this group, rather than emailing me offline. Thanks!
    -Jeff

    Jeff Ishaq, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Jeff Ishaq

    Jeff Durham Guest

    I am about ready to make my next digital camera purchase. I am seriously
    considering the Canon Digital Rebel 300D. That camera can be puchased with
    a lens for $890-$999. It is not that much more expensive than these SLR
    like cameras which have non-removable lenses.

    A good website to look at before making a purchase is
    http://www.dpreview.com.

    Good luck!

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Jeff Ishaq

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Jeff Ishaq" <> wrote in message

    > The hardware in these images have uniform lighting and appear almost
    > to be floating in the air. Is this something I can accomplish with
    > minimal cost and setup or am I going to need to sink hundreds of
    > dollars on equipment? One ominous sign was the expensive-looking
    > light kit caught in the lens reflection of the top-most image. :)
    >
    > Please post to this group, rather than emailing me offline. Thanks!
    > -Jeff

    First get a DSLR. Because I had Canon lens I went with Canon.

    Second, get one of these:
    http://www.ezcube.com/

    Done correctly, not counting camera the lighting and ezcube should run about
    $250.00.
    --
    "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

    Bob Hatch, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Bob gave good advice. Lighting is the most important and difficult part of
    product photos and that gadget looks decent. You can come up with
    alternatives on your own (to save a few bucks) but should perhaps spend more
    time writing and less time experimenting.

    Charles Schuler, Jun 8, 2004