Newbie request for information on web hosting

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    providers - their services and prices ?

    I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
    E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?

    If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    basic web site design and hosting cost me?

    Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    design and hosting recommendations.

    Chris, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Chris

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    > providers - their services and prices ?
    >
    > I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    > business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
    > E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    > each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    > usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
    >
    > If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    > control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    > them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    > like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    > anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    > basic web site design and hosting cost me?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    > design and hosting recommendations.

    I joined kiwiwebhost before they were bought by iserve, they are still
    offering their $1-a-week plan, which gets you virtual hosting, 5 POP
    email addresses, 10MB disk space and 1GB of traffic a month. They do
    domain name registration also, at $40.00+

    I'd say that level of hosting would be more than adequate for what you
    outline above.

    I've been pretty happy with their service.

    Whoever you get to do your design may also be able to offer competitive
    hosting, or point you in the right direction. I wouldn't accept any
    design that didn't allow you to make changes yourself, and with the
    techniques available today there are few arguments for having to.

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Chris

    Max Barwell Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    > providers - their services and prices ?
    >
    > I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    > business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
    > E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    > each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    > usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
    >
    > If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    > control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    > them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    > like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    > anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    > basic web site design and hosting cost me?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    > design and hosting recommendations.

    Hi,

    I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
    have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
    cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.

    Cheers,
    Max

    Max Barwell, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Chris

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris <> wrote:

    > Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    > providers - their services and prices ?

    Not as far as I am aware.....I think you mean a site that is impartial
    and lists comparisons. Best you can do is look at some of the companies
    you are hosting with as they often have comparison charts...of course,
    you know their charts will make them look the best.

    My advice (and you may to chat to the website creator you mention in a
    moment) is come up with a list of things you know you want and then shop
    around...
    * Domain name
    * Number of email accounts
    * Disk space
    * Database (if you go for as content management system as someone has
    suggested)

    > I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    > business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivalent
    > E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    > each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    > usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?

    Depends who you go with and more importantly, how much design you really
    do want. Some web developers offer pre-made templates and the promise to
    set you up and get going, but others will customise a lot more for you.

    > If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    > control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    > them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    > like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    > anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    > basic web site design and hosting cost me?

    My advice to you would be to make sure that you do retain ownership in
    all those things. A lot of developers will deal with all the domain
    set-up and hosting for you, but make sure that the domain etc is in your
    name is my advice. The way I work is to be the liaison between a client
    and the hosting company...getting everything set up and having nothing
    to do with hosting fees, but the client paying those directly. Others
    will do all that for you and its just a decision on your part who you
    want to pay and how much, being realistic that anyone handling things
    for you obviously needs to make some money.

    The suggestion of a content management system is an ideal one for you.
    Basically youd access your pages cia a web page hidden login and update
    info as though youre word processing. One thing Id suggest is make sure
    that the person doing all this for you has to deliver a few things to
    you, like documentation on setup and a little snippet on how to operate
    your site.

    > Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    > design and hosting recommendations.

    Well there you go. Leaves a lot of us out then, not being in Auckland
    and all ;-)
    Dont forget that theres a lot of good companies out there and the
    internet is a big place. Its not uncommon for a site or company to be
    located in non-local places. My Mac site (www.nzmac.com) sits on servers
    in the States for example with a company run from there and the UK
    (oh...thats another question you might want to ask...where are their
    servers).

    In NZ, I use SuperHost with clients and have found them superb...
    http://www.superhost.co.nz/domain_compare.htm

    Best of luck,

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com

    Philip Roy, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Chris

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:32:38 +1300, Chris <> wrote:

    >Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    >design and hosting recommendations.

    Being that it's a www site you want created, the company doing it for you could
    be located anywhere in the world, and same with the hosting. Even if you use a
    local company to build it for you, it's usually a lot cheaper to have it hosted
    in the USA (even under .co.nz).

    Craig Shore, Dec 27, 2005
  6. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:05:15 +1300, Philip Roy
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Chris <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    >> providers - their services and prices ?

    >Not as far as I am aware.....I think you mean a site that is impartial
    >and lists comparisons. Best you can do is look at some of the companies
    >you are hosting with as they often have comparison charts...of course,
    >you know their charts will make them look the best.
    >
    >My advice (and you may to chat to the website creator you mention in a
    >moment) is come up with a list of things you know you want and then shop
    >around...
    >* Domain name
    >* Number of email accounts
    >* Disk space
    >* Database (if you go for as content management system as someone has
    >suggested)

    = freeparking.co.nz

    Images of home (NZ)
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Chris

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Barwell wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    >> providers - their services and prices ?
    >> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    >> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
    >> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    >> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    >> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
    >>
    >> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    >> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    >> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    >> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    >> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    >> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    >> design and hosting recommendations.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
    > have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
    > cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.

    Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
    give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
    the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
    change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
    unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
    cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2005
  8. Chris

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Max Barwell wrote:
    > > Chris wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    > >> providers - their services and prices ?
    > >> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
    > >> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
    > >> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
    > >> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
    > >> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
    > >>
    > >> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    > >> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    > >> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    > >> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    > >> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    > >> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    > >> design and hosting recommendations.
    > >>

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
    > > have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
    > > cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.
    > >

    > Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
    > give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
    > the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
    > change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
    > unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
    > cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Joomla is the one for me (www.joomla.org)...spin off from Mambo.

    Phil

    Philip Roy, Dec 28, 2005
  9. Chris

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:44:23 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Max Barwell wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
    >>> providers - their services and prices ? I am in Auckland and am
    >>> considering having a website for my home business, including taking out
    >>> a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent E-mail address. For a small
    >>> business what should I be looking to pay each month for a site with
    >>> half a dozen pages with a company logo (the usual "home page", "about
    >>> us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
    >>>
    >>> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
    >>> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
    >>> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
    >>> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
    >>> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
    >>> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
    >>> design and hosting recommendations.
    >>>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
    >> have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
    >> cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.
    >>

    > Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
    > give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
    > the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
    > change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
    > unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
    > cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I had a crack at installing plone yesterday on my Debian box.
    #apt-get install plone

    installed zope OK, but had the devils own to install plone into zope
    (damned instructions I _knew_ I should have copied them to kwrite)
    In the end I downloaded plone-2.1.1 tarball from sourceforge, and put the
    contents of that tarball into Products directory of my instance
    After 3 or 4 minutes playing with the site I discovered that plone wanted
    port 80 to itself, or setup Apache with mod_proxy or mod_rewrite.
    By that time I had had enough.
    Ive also tried drupal (didnt like that *one* bit) and mambo (nice pictures
    but never got round to putting my own content on it)
    Ive also had a few attempts at making my own templates, but never liked
    the design <sigh>

    --
    PURGE COMPLETE.

    Shane, Dec 29, 2005