Newbie: Quicktime movies corrupted. HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kadavy, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Kadavy

    Kadavy Guest

    I just got back from a ski vacation, during which I took many
    Quicktime movies with my Minolta Dimage Xt and Sandisk 256 MB Secure
    Digital card. During the trip, I would review my photos and movies
    periodically with the group. After playing some of the videos a number
    of times, I began to simply get an "Unable to display" message on my
    camera when trying to play some of the movies. Now that I have
    returned home, those very movies, when opened with quicktime, elicit a
    "Couldn't open the file 'fubar.mov' because it is not a file that
    QuickTime understands."

    I have tried opening these files next to good QuickTime files in a
    program I found called "HexEdit," and can see that the bad files start
    off with something like 4000 zeros and appear to be missing the proper
    header information, but still are loaded with data. I tried simply
    copying and pasting some of the beginnings of the good files into the
    beginnings of the bad files, but I have had no luck. It seems that the
    movies are screwed!

    so:
    1. I know there are alot of disk recovery services out there, but
    everything else on my disks are fine. Does anyone know of anyone that
    can fix a corrupted MOV like this?

    2. Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can recover this?

    3. Do you think my problem is with my camera, or with my media? The
    fact that only MOVs are being corrupted indicates to me that it is
    with the former.

    Thank you so much for any help/advice you may have.

    Kadavy, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Kadavy

    Mike Guest

    "Kadavy" <> wrote in message
    > I just got back from a ski vacation, during which I took many
    > Quicktime movies with my Minolta Dimage Xt and Sandisk 256 MB Secure
    > Digital card. During the trip, I would review my photos and movies
    > periodically with the group. After playing some of the videos a number
    > of times, I began to simply get an "Unable to display" message on my
    > camera when trying to play some of the movies. Now that I have
    > returned home, those very movies, when opened with quicktime, elicit a
    > "Couldn't open the file 'fubar.mov' because it is not a file that
    > QuickTime understands."
    >
    > I have tried opening these files next to good QuickTime files in a
    > program I found called "HexEdit," and can see that the bad files start
    > off with something like 4000 zeros and appear to be missing the proper
    > header information, but still are loaded with data. I tried simply
    > copying and pasting some of the beginnings of the good files into the
    > beginnings of the bad files, but I have had no luck. It seems that the
    > movies are screwed!
    >
    > so:
    > 1. I know there are alot of disk recovery services out there, but
    > everything else on my disks are fine. Does anyone know of anyone that
    > can fix a corrupted MOV like this?
    >
    > 2. Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can recover this?
    >
    > 3. Do you think my problem is with my camera, or with my media? The
    > fact that only MOVs are being corrupted indicates to me that it is
    > with the former.
    >
    > Thank you so much for any help/advice you may have.

    Kadavy,
    Have you set the preferences to use all video programs. Or you could install
    windows media player or real player bear in mind you must set the
    preferences to the type of video program used. My camera for example uses
    AVI ( audio visual Information program).
    Hope that helps. MikeS

    Mike, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Kadavy

    Kadavy Guest

    > Have you set the preferences to use all video programs. Or you could install
    > windows media player or real player bear in mind you must set the
    > preferences to the type of video program used. My camera for example uses
    > AVI ( audio visual Information program).
    > Hope that helps. Mike

    Sorry, I guess I didn't clarify that MOST of my MOVs work just fine.
    There is definitely something corrputed with these few that don't
    work. Thanks for your help.

    Kadavy, Feb 24, 2004