    Maybe it's supposed to be an ellipses. Is there a simple way to get
    rid of that?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Sep 19, 2008

  2. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Sorry... using Windows XP SP3.

    John Doe, Sep 19, 2008

  3. John Doe wrote:
    > Firefox 3.0.1
    >
    > Trying to download Flash Player from Adobe's website. After choosing
    > Save File, the Downloads dialogue comes up but remains empty.

    empty the download manager [under Tools, Downloads].
    Did that work? If not, then are you using a hosts file?
    If so, then check there and see if adobe.com is listed.
    If it is, then remove them.

    > There is a small letter "l" after some menu choices.
    > For example:
    > File -- Printl
    > Maybe it's supposed to be an ellipses. Is there a simple way to get
    > rid of that?

    close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
    run and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode. Does the "1" or "l"
    still show up?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 19, 2008
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    >> Firefox 3.0.1 [Windows XP SP3]
    >>
    >> Trying to download Flash Player from Adobe's website. After
    >> choosing Save File, the Downloads dialogue comes up but remains
    >> empty.

    > empty the download manager [under Tools, Downloads].
    > Did that work? If not, then are you using a hosts file?
    > If so, then check there and see if adobe.com is listed.
    > If it is, then remove them.

    It's resolved. The files downloaded instantly and I was expecting an
    indication of that. But of course I should have checked the
    destination folder before asking. Oops.

    >> There is a small letter "l" after some menu choices.
    >> For example:
    >> File -- Printl
    >> Maybe it's supposed to be an ellipses. Is there a simple way to
    >> get rid of that?

    > close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
    > run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > this will start FF in safe mode. Does the "1" or "l"

    I just used a Windows utility called "Inspect" and whatever it is (I
    think it's a bar), it is replacing ellipses as you could probably
    guess.

    > still show up?

    Yes, but it's a problem I can live with if necessary. Even though
    restoring all user preferences didn't work, maybe it was caused by a
    font setting I changed. When in doubt, I restart Windows (later).
    Thanks.

    FWIW (these aren't meant to be questions).
    So far, Firefox is behaving better than Internet Explorer was for
    me. I do lots of windows stuff with scripts, like in my browser
    changing font sizes and colors, or toggling Flash Player ON/OFF, and
    that causes IE to pause for several seconds before applying the
    changes (an annoying long-standing problem that needed fixing). And
    there are other issues, maybe caused by the apparent complexities in
    IE code. The Firefox tabs thing is obviously very useful.

    John Doe, Sep 19, 2008