    formats?

    thanks

    John

    ///Owen\\\\\\, Dec 29, 2005

  2. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Justin Guest

    ///Owen\\\ wrote on [Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:13:30 GMT]:
    > Are new DVD players multiregional, and do they allow PAL and NTSC
    > formats?

    yes? no? maybe?

    Justin, Dec 29, 2005

  3. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Kenny Guest

    Most are but check specifications before buying.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 29, 2005
  4. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "///Owen\\\" <> wrote in message
    > Are new DVD players multiregional, and do they allow PAL and NTSC
    > formats?

    Most DVD players sold in North America are fixed to Region 1 out of the
    box. Some can be made multi-region by entering a hidden combination of
    keys on the remote. See www.videohelp.com for more details.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 30, 2005
  5. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Biz Guest

    It depends on what part of the world you are in. In NA, most DVD players
    are not region-free from teh factory, and many cannot easily be made
    region-free if you buy any of the nicer players from the big name brand
    companies. Many players will not play PAL either, or if they will play PAL
    they do not convert it to NTSC, which is very important in NA since most all
    tvs do not support PAL, only NTSC...If you buy any of the crappy FUNAI based
    players, they are easily made region-free but they typically have very short
    lifespans, and are not really very good players, but tend to play everything
    you put in them...If its quantity over quality you want, then you cant
    really go wrong with the junk players...if you want the better players with
    outstanding PQ to say a good tv, then avoid those junk players like the
    plague...

    Biz, Dec 30, 2005
  6. ///Owen\\\\\\

    Kenny Guest

    I didn't know when I replied that in US dvd players aren't multiregional out
    of the box. I'm in UK and most are, most of the older ones which weren't
    could easily be made so.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 30, 2005
  7. ///Owen\\\ wrote:
    > Are new DVD players multiregional, and do they allow PAL and NTSC
    > formats?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > John

    Thanks guys

    I got a machine that does it all - an Aiwa ($70). I live in Canada and
    people send me stuff from the UK. I did convert a PDV to NTSC but it was a
    pain to do it.

    Now I can watch "Liverpool, Champions of Europe"

    John

    ///Owen\\\\\\, Dec 31, 2005

    fredman Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:48:48 -0000, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >I didn't know when I replied that in US dvd players aren't multiregional out
    >of the box. I'm in UK and most are, most of the older ones which weren't
    >could easily be made so.

    That's because the authorities are embarrassed by how much UK DVDs are
    always cut, and they've left you an out by allowing you to obtain the
    higher quality Region 1 discs (grins, ducks). Cheers.

    fredman, Jan 1, 2006