    must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    help anyone can offer.
    Mort Middleman, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Mort Middleman

    Phil R. Guest

    "Mort Middleman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    > shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    > disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    > Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    > Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    > must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    > investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    > help anyone can offer.

    http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/a/dvdrecfaqintro.htm

    You're welcome.

    --Phil
    Phil R., Nov 6, 2004

  3. Mort Middleman

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:19:22 GMT, Phil R. wrote:

    > "Mort Middleman" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    >> shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    >> disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    >> Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    >> Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    >> must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    >> investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    >> help anyone can offer.

    > http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/a/dvdrecfaqintro.htm

    While Phil's link is very helpful, I don't think it answers you specific
    questions.

    Yes, you can set up multiple recording for different dates times and shows.
    Also, the DVD recorder will only ever record on the blank space of the
    disc. So it won't record over already existing recordings on specific
    disc, even if you pull it out and put it back in. If you are using a
    rewritable disc, you will have to specifically erase one of the existing
    programs on the disc, or possibly the whole disc, before you can reclaim
    that used space.

    If you're mainly interested in temporarily recording shows and later
    erasing them, DVD-RAM offers the most flexibility. However, you may also
    want to look into hard-drive based DVRs, or Digital Video Recorders. These
    recorders will record shows to a hard-drive, which allows larger storage
    capacity and the ability to save and delete shows at will. The only
    drawback is that there is no removable media so no real permanent storage.

    Another option are DVD Recorders with built-in hard-drives. These give you
    the advantage of DVRs in that you can record shows to the hard-drive, but
    also allow you to permanently burn stuff to a DVD. Thus you could record
    what you want, delete what you don't want later, and burn what you want to
    keep. It also has the advantage of allowing you to edit out commercials
    before burning to DVD.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Nov 7, 2004
  4. Mort Middleman

    luminos Guest

    "Jay G." <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:19:22 GMT, Phil R. wrote:
    >
    >> "Mort Middleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    >>> shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    >>> disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    >>> Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    >>> Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    >>> must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    >>> investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    >>> help anyone can offer.

    >> http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/a/dvdrecfaqintro.htm

    > While Phil's link is very helpful, I don't think it answers you specific
    > questions.
    >
    > Yes, you can set up multiple recording for different dates times and
    > shows.
    > Also, the DVD recorder will only ever record on the blank space of the
    > disc. So it won't record over already existing recordings on specific
    > disc, even if you pull it out and put it back in. If you are using a
    > rewritable disc, you will have to specifically erase one of the existing
    > programs on the disc, or possibly the whole disc, before you can reclaim
    > that used space.
    >
    > If you're mainly interested in temporarily recording shows and later
    > erasing them, DVD-RAM offers the most flexibility.

    Yes, however, DVD-RW works well and is much cheaper.
    luminos, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Mort Middleman

    Kevin Guest

    Mort Middleman <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    > shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    > disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    > Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    > Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    > must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    > investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    > help anyone can offer.

    What I would like to know, if people can answer, is what kind of latency
    can I expect to see between when I hit the "Record" button and when video
    actually starts getting recorded.

    What's nice about a VCR is you can pop a tape into the machine and hit
    "Record" and actually be recording, within just a few seconds. Whereas,
    on a computer CD/DVD burner at least, it takes a few seconds to spin up
    and recognize the disc, plus however long it may take to engage the
    record function.

    The closer to "instant" the better - so here I'm thinking the more
    advanced models would have memory buffering or use hard drives to help with
    speed.

    Anyone care to share their experience?
    Kevin, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Mort Middleman

    luminos Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > Mort Middleman <> wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    >> shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    >> disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    >> Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    >> Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    >> must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    >> investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    >> help anyone can offer.

    > What I would like to know, if people can answer, is what kind of latency
    > can I expect to see between when I hit the "Record" button and when video
    > actually starts getting recorded.
    >
    > What's nice about a VCR is you can pop a tape into the machine and hit
    > "Record" and actually be recording, within just a few seconds. Whereas,
    > on a computer CD/DVD burner at least, it takes a few seconds to spin up
    > and recognize the disc, plus however long it may take to engage the
    > record function.
    >
    > The closer to "instant" the better - so here I'm thinking the more
    > advanced models would have memory buffering or use hard drives to help
    > with
    > speed.
    >
    > Anyone care to share their experience?

    It is not instant on a VCR nor on a stand alone recorder nor a computer.
    The latency is about 3 seconds.
    luminos, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Mort Middleman

    Mac Breck Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message

    > "Jay G." <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:19:22 GMT, Phil R. wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Mort Middleman" <> wrote in message

    Is recording TV

    rewriteable

    shows on

    more shows on

    shows? These

    answers before

    Thanks for any

    http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/a/dvdrecfaqintro.htm

    > > While Phil's link is very helpful, I don't think it

    answers you specific
    > > questions.
    > >
    > > Yes, you can set up multiple recording for different

    dates times and
    > > shows.
    > > Also, the DVD recorder will only ever record on the

    blank space of the
    > > disc. So it won't record over already existing

    recordings on specific
    > > disc, even if you pull it out and put it back in. If

    you are using a
    > > rewritable disc, you will have to specifically erase one

    of the existing
    > > programs on the disc, or possibly the whole disc, before

    you can reclaim
    > > that used space.
    > >
    > > If you're mainly interested in temporarily recording

    shows and later
    > > erasing them, DVD-RAM offers the most flexibility.

    > Yes, however, DVD-RW works well and is much cheaper.

    Does DVD-RW allow you to split a recording to the frame, and
    then cut out the conventional commercials, after the fact
    (say of a timer recorded program)? (not-rhetorical, I'm
    asking because I don't know.). DVD-RAM does. 25% of the
    space can be recovered that way, and reused for other
    programs.

    The reusability of DVD-RAM is rated at 100,000 uses. What's
    the reusability og DVD-RW.

    There's also DVD+RW, isn't there?

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------
    Mac Breck, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Thanks very much Jay.

    Mort Middleman, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Mort Middleman

    luminos Guest

    "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message
    > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jay G." <> wrote in message

    > Is recording TV

    > rewriteable

    > shows on

    > more shows on

    > shows? These

    > answers before

    > Thanks for any
    >> >>

    > http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/a/dvdrecfaqintro.htm
    >> >
    >> > While Phil's link is very helpful, I don't think it

    > answers you specific
    >> > questions.
    >> >
    >> > Yes, you can set up multiple recording for different

    > dates times and
    >> > shows.
    >> > Also, the DVD recorder will only ever record on the

    > blank space of the
    >> > disc. So it won't record over already existing

    > recordings on specific
    >> > disc, even if you pull it out and put it back in. If

    > you are using a
    >> > rewritable disc, you will have to specifically erase one

    > of the existing
    >> > programs on the disc, or possibly the whole disc, before

    > you can reclaim
    >> > that used space.
    >> >
    >> > If you're mainly interested in temporarily recording

    > shows and later
    >> > erasing them, DVD-RAM offers the most flexibility.

    >> Yes, however, DVD-RW works well and is much cheaper.

    > Does DVD-RW allow you to split a recording to the frame, and
    > then cut out the conventional commercials, after the fact
    > (say of a timer recorded program)? (not-rhetorical, I'm
    > asking because I don't know.). DVD-RAM does. 25% of the
    > space can be recovered that way, and reused for other
    > programs.

    On my Pioneer, the answer is yes. There is also a DVD-RW VR mode that
    offers nearly all of the features of DVD-RAM. I like DVD-RAM because access
    is faster (it is really a hard sectored format), but the -RW formats have
    improved.
    luminos, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Mort Middleman

    awknod Guest

    Really!!!!!

    awknod, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Mort Middleman

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > Mort Middleman <> wrote:
    > > I'm thinking of replacing my VCRs with DVD recorders. Is recording TV
    > > shows on DVD as easy as on VCRs? For instance, using rewriteable
    > > disks, can you set up timed recordings for a couple of shows on
    > > Tuesday night, remove the disk, then record a couple more shows on
    > > Friday night without writing over the first group of shows? These
    > > must seem like dumb questions, but I need to know the answers before
    > > investing the dollars necessary to replace five VCRs. Thanks for any
    > > help anyone can offer.

    > What I would like to know, if people can answer, is what kind of latency
    > can I expect to see between when I hit the "Record" button and when video
    > actually starts getting recorded.
    >
    > What's nice about a VCR is you can pop a tape into the machine and hit
    > "Record" and actually be recording, within just a few seconds. Whereas,
    > on a computer CD/DVD burner at least, it takes a few seconds to spin up
    > and recognize the disc, plus however long it may take to engage the
    > record function.
    >
    > The closer to "instant" the better -

    A VCR is anything but instant. It takes at least 3 seconds minimum, some
    decks up to 6 seconds.
    Pug Fugley, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Mort Middleman

    Kevin Guest

    Pug Fugley <> wrote:
    > > The closer to "instant" the better -

    > A VCR is anything but instant. It takes at least 3 seconds minimum, some
    > decks up to 6 seconds.

    Well, I never said a VCR was "instant", I just said the smaller latency
    time, the better.

    So, given that a VCR is 3-6 seconds, does a DVD deck take significantly
    longer to start recording?

    I guess I was spoiled by cassette tape recorders, some of which are pretty
    close to "instant", starting to tape within about a second of your pushing
    the record button. Then I moved to MiniDisc, where I would hit the button,
    wait for the drive to spin up and sync with itself and with the audio
    signal, then wait for me to set levels and then start actually recording.
    Worth the trade-off for better recording quality, but a bit annoying.

    Kevin
    Kevin, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Mort Middleman

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > Pug Fugley <> wrote:
    > > > The closer to "instant" the better -

    > > A VCR is anything but instant. It takes at least 3

    seconds minimum, some
    > > decks up to 6 seconds.

    > Well, I never said a VCR was "instant", I just said the

    smaller latency
    > time, the better.
    >
    > So, given that a VCR is 3-6 seconds, does a DVD deck take

    significantly
    > longer to start recording?

    Panasonic DMR-E30s with Panasonic DVD-RAM (which Circuit
    City has packs of 5 for $24.99): 1.85 seconds. (just timed
    it)

    The DVD-RAM discs are 1 hr on XP, 2 hrs. on SP, 4 hrs. on
    LP, and 6 hrs. on EP. There's also FR which allows speeds
    in-between XP and EP, to fill the disc with the best quality
    that will fit in the space that you have left.

    Mac Breck, Nov 9, 2004