Newbie questions VLAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ariel, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Ariel

    Ariel Guest

    Hello;

    We just got a Cisco 1720 Router for our office.

    I'm just playing around with it right now trying to get it to work like
    our current firewall:

    INTERNET <----> FireWall<--> (local subnet)

    (DMZ Subnet)

    Hope the ascii art comes out ok; but the just is it's a triple homed
    firewall/router.

    So I've setup our Fast Ethernet port as our firewall's static IP
    address. I then setup 2 Vlan ports one (vlan1) with the local subnet
    gatewat ip address, and the other (vlan2)with our dmz subnet gateway ip
    address.

    My newbie questions are:
    1) I have 4 switch ports on the back of the 1720, does the number of the
    switch port correspond to the vlan#? At this point it seems like any
    port I connect only works when connected to the local area network.

    2) I would like to setup a port for my dmz wich I would then uplink a
    hub to. How is the accomplished. And is my understanding correct that
    this is the theory behind VLAN. From the little I've read this seems to
    be the purpose, but I'm a newbie so I dont really know for sure

    3) This probably has a lot to do with q#2 but here it goes:even though
    I've set the IP address on vlan 2 when execute the command: "show
    interface vlan2" logged on to the router it alway show's this in the
    first line of the output:"Vlan2 is up, line protocol is down". How do I
    get that line protocol up. I think if I can figure out Question # 2 I
    should be able to do this, right? Or at least do I need to figure out
    the right switch port for vlan2?

    3) I know these questions may be indepth, so is there any good websites
    on IOS?

    4) can you reccommend any good books on IOS I need to really get
    aquainted with it!

    Answer any of these questions would really help me out! If you require
    more information, just let me know

    TIA
    Ariel
    Ariel, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Ariel

    Ariel Guest

    Think I got it figured out had some help from cisco support:

    This was their response:
    Here are the commands to assign switchports to VLANs:

    Router(config)#interface fastethernet port
    Router(config-if)#shutdown
    Router(config-if)#switchport mode access
    Router(config-if)#switchport access vlan vlan_num
    Router(config-if)#no shutdown
    Router(config-if)#end
    Ariel, Oct 21, 2003